The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce and Virtanen again?

hobart16

When in Utica, Gaunce and Virtanen were counted on to score and neither one was quite up to the task to be honest.  They got themselves in position to score but the results were never quite there.  That hasn't changed.  Now that Sutter and Dorsett are out, they have found themselves in that role of taking D zone starts and closing out games, which is tremendous for such young players to get that job and shows that contrary to what some are saying there is depth in the roster now.  In the long run, this is going to be a pivotal, positive experience for them and a big plus for the team.  They seem to have some chemistry and both have improved their passing.  If they have Sutter centering them, or if Granny gets on a roll, you have a line that could be scary and getting a steady diet of 16-17 tough minutes a game.  I really like these two together but I concede that some goal scoring from Gaunce and some more hitting from Jake is required.  Green likes to have a very hard forechecking line that hits come in and soften you up and come right back with the Baer, Bo, Boeser or Sedin lines. Well I suppose all the coaches in the league do that. 

Boucher has been scoring in Utica and is playing with some creativity.  He might earn a call up.  Gagner isn't getting it done.  

I also agree Biega should get some more starts.  He is an energy guy who hits although a regular slot is probably out of each due to his limitations. Give Hutton and Poiuliot an occasional break. Even MDZ looks like he might be worn down at times and we are 30% of the way in to the season.  I doubt Green would play him on the wing though. 

3 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Do you think when Green was a player, perhaps getting hard matched against the other teams best line all night, he didn't expect himself to chip in offensively? 

They all have good offensive talent.  You've stated how well they are doing numbers wise playing tough minutes.  Great.  But I doubt all Green expects of them is good "possession and territorial results".

But hey, I could be wrong.

Don't forget Gaunce has been injured. He has played less than half the games most of the others have played (11) He is still likely to be bedding in. All coaches have players they trust and generally that trust has been earned in times of attrition.

Gaunce is a potential leader on this team, like Manny, I think his team mates appreciate his hard work, strong hockey IQ and stamina.

6 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Do you think when Green was a player, perhaps getting hard matched against the other teams best line all night, he didn't expect himself to chip in offensively? 

They all have good offensive talent.  You've stated how well they are doing numbers wise playing tough minutes.  Great.  But I doubt all Green expects of them is good "possession and territorial results".

Without a doubt jake wasn't drafted be a shutdown territorial player.

so hopefully his development continues.  I have to say, it's a long and winding path he seems to be on.

8 hours ago, hobart16 said:

When in Utica, Gaunce and Virtanen were counted on to score and neither one was quite up to the task to be honest.  They got themselves in position to score but the results were never quite there.  That hasn't changed.  Now that Sutter and Dorsett are out, they have found themselves in that role of taking D zone starts and closing out games, which is tremendous for such young players to get that job and shows that contrary to what some are saying there is depth in the roster now.  In the long run, this is going to be a pivotal, positive experience for them and a big plus for the team.  They seem to have some chemistry and both have improved their passing.  If they have Sutter centering them, or if Granny gets on a roll, you have a line that could be scary and getting a steady diet of 16-17 tough minutes a game.  I really like these two together but I concede that some goal scoring from Gaunce and some more hitting from Jake is required.  Green likes to have a very hard forechecking line that hits come in and soften you up and come right back with the Baer, Bo, Boeser or Sedin lines. Well I suppose all the coaches in the league do that. 

Boucher has been scoring in Utica and is playing with some creativity.  He might earn a call up.  Gagner isn't getting it done.  

I also agree Biega should get some more starts.  He is an energy guy who hits although a regular slot is probably out of each due to his limitations. Give Hutton and Poiuliot an occasional break. Even MDZ looks like he might be worn down at times and we are 30% of the way in to the season.  I doubt Green would play him on the wing though. 

In his final year before joining the Canucks, Gaunce played 46 games and had 38pts with the Comets.  The only time he played on the Utica team with Virt was in '16-'17 where he only played 4 games and had 3pts.

Gaunce has proven that he could score at every level so far, but has yet to show it in the big league.  I think he will start scoring at some point, but he will never put up a lot of points.  Hopefully he will be more of a Manny type player and will specialize in defensive faceoffs and being a huge part of the PK and checking line.

He has stepped up his physical game and has become tougher to play against; especially along the boards or around the his net.

As for Virt; he is a work in progress.  Being selected as 5th overall Jake has more work than Gaunce to prove himself and it's going to take some time.

I  agree that the pair are showing some chemistry and are playing with a 'spark'.  I would like to see more of a physical game from Jake, but at the same time, this is a great opportunity for him to adjust to more responsibility and ice time.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

In his final year before joining the Canucks, Gaunce played 46 games and had 38pts with the Comets.  The only time he played on the Utica team with Virt was in '16-'17 where he only played 4 games and had 3pts.

Gaunce has proven that he could score at every level so far, but has yet to show it in the big league.  I think he will start scoring at some point, but he will never put up a lot of points.  Hopefully he will be more of a Manny type player and will specialize in defensive faceoffs and being a huge part of the PK and checking line.

He has stepped up his physical game and has become tougher to play against; especially along the boards or around the his net.

As for Virt; he is a work in progress.  Being selected as 5th overall Jake has more work than Gaunce to prove himself and it's going to take some time.

I  agree that the pair are showing some chemistry and are playing with a 'spark'.  I would like to see more of a physical game from Jake, but at the same time, this is a great opportunity for him to adjust to more responsibility and ice time.

WHo knows where Gaunce's career evolves to. Agree with everything you mentioned above. Bottom line with both Gaunce and Virtanenis that they bring size into the forward group which is much needed. They have the development time right now to establish their game before the big influx of talent that will be in Vancouver in 2 years. If they cannot survive that then at least Vancouver can get greater value in moving them.  

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Don't forget Gaunce has been injured. He has played less than half the games most of the others have played (11) He is still likely to be bedding in. All coaches have players they trust and generally that trust has been earned in times of attrition.

Gaunce is a potential leader on this team, like Manny, I think his team mates appreciate his hard work, strong hockey IQ and stamina.

I think it was silly of me to say they need to produce in the next 2 games or else that line might be broken up. Like you say there is context for each player, and like @oldnews stated there are things beyond just scoring they need to do well, that helps the team and helps them grow as individuals. 

I do believe, however., that this team  wants to win games right now and that Green is searching for some chemistry that will allow for some more scoring.  That puts a bit of pressure on him to try new things to see if he can get that (I think).

11 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

If you're talking "expectations" then no, I don't think that Gaunce producing with 13% would involve expectations that he also be productive at the other end of the ice.

I think - and I can only speak for myself and not Green - I think that the expectation would be that he continue to play the right way and take care of his primary task - which is to play effective shutdown hockey.  And here's the thing - those kind of minutes are relatively unheard of for young, rookie NHLers.  They typically get precisely the opposite - sheltered. Production is a bonus in that context.  Gaunce and Virtanen are nevertheless generating scoring chances, so it would seem inevitable, particularly in Gaunce's case, that he'll get some puck luck in due course and add some points here and there.  But that is distinctly uncontrollable - whereas doing his job is not - working hard, playing smart defensive hockey, being physical, etc would be the expectations imo.  I personally think he's doing a great job - and the question is somewhat similar to 'expecting' the Sedins to shut people down, block shots, throw hits, etc.

But like Green probably did - Gaunce himself probably expects to chip in - is probably driving himself to - which is a good thing - and I think he's been getting some chances - I personally just don't expect much offense in the context he's playing.

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

All good points.  In his recent conditioning stint Gaunce scored goals in Utica as well and Cull had him on the PP and the PK.  Gaunce has really surprised me with his physicality this year. Just what we need right now.  If he starts chipping a couple in he will be a key piece going forward.   

Idc if Gaunce doesn't score, he isn't being utilized too and will probably never be.

Keeps being noticeable like he has then he should stick.

You need checking forwards and he can develop into that role rather nicely. Also doesn't hurt that he can be a locker room leader and an example to other young players that you can and need to be effective away from the puck and in your own zone.

Gaunce and Virtanen ate a pile of tough minutes tonight. They were monsters out there. Got a touch tired in 3rd but Virtanen still laid some hits on. Fantastic game for that line.  They are locked in for awhile now unless Horvat is out. 

Archived