The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disaster ahead ? Lets share our thoughts

realfan201777

Not sure if this is a disaster.  The club has already outperformed itself in my eyes and i'm more hopeful for the future than I have been in the last 5 years or so.

Disappointing Horvat is injured but I mean c'mon....even if the boys made the playoffs we'd need a miracle to make it out of the first round with our blueline.

It's process, and  that process continues at the draft where Benning continues to overhaul this club to the post-Sedin era.

Horvat's injury may be a blessing in disguise. We will most likely stick to the rebuild plan and be sellers at the deadline. 

Watching the Flames tonight and living in Calgary reminded me how the Flames peaked too early (knocking Vancouver out of the playoffs) 

We gave them a run tonight while missing horvat, Sutter, Baertschi, Gudbranson. 

With those players in the line up, I don't see how the Flames would beat us. 

I see the Flames as a middle of the pack non contending team for a while. 

They stopped their rebuild too soon. Vancouver looked like the Flames from a few years ago. A bubble playoff team playing over their heads and might even squeak through first round. 

This puts us back to reality and helps us stick with the plan.  

41 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Horvat's injury may be a blessing in disguise. We will most likely stick to the rebuild plan and be sellers at the deadline. 

Watching the Flames tonight and living in Calgary reminded me how the Flames peaked too early (knocking Vancouver out of the playoffs) 

We gave them a run tonight while missing horvat, Sutter, Baertschi, Gudbranson. 

With those players in the line up, I don't see how the Flames would beat us. 

I see the Flames as a middle of the pack non contending team for a while. 

They stopped their rebuild too soon. Vancouver looked like the Flames from a few years ago. A bubble playoff team playing over their heads and might even squeak through first round. 

This puts us back to reality and helps us stick with the plan.  

Isn't Vancouver right next to Calgary?  Middle of the pack?  I don't think Vancouver will be a bottom feeder because Horvat is out. 

11 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Isn't Vancouver right next to Calgary?  Middle of the pack?  I don't think Vancouver will be a bottom feeder because Horvat is out. 

We are slightly above middle of the pack with Horvat Sutter and Gudbranson in the line up. 

So far we are 0-2 without Horvat. Let's see what happens throughout the course of the next few weeks. 

I'm pretty sure we'll be on  the outside looking in at that point. 

This is about the season I expected to see.  Improvement, nice showing by Boeser, but in the end, a bubble team barring injury problems.  The injuries have already piled up and that's something Green needs to address.  Why is it that the Canucks experience so many lost man games each year?  What can be done to prevent the crazy number of lost games?  I think part of it is that our D do not run interference as much for each other as most teams do.  Slowing down the forechecking forewards just by putting a body in the most direct line to the puck retrieving defender helps a lot and can quickly be switched to a more horizontal formation for lateral puck movement after the puck is controlled.  Our D seem to go right to a horizontal formation to move the puck quickly, which means nothing slows down the forechecker and they get to put the body on our defenders a bit too much.

In the prediction thread before the season I thought our season would go pretty much as it has been.  Boeser has been overperforming compared to my expectations, and Green cut back the Sedins' ice time more and earlier than I thought he might, but as we approach Christmas we're looking like we will be dropping out of a playoff spot and merely be in striking distance of it by deadline time.

Yup... we are a few years away from being able to compete.  Basically I agree with some of the other posters here, in that the loss of a few players means the team doesn't have the depth.  Which is OK.  It looks like the team will have proper depth in a few years.  Depth being defined by most players on the team playing at positions below their maximum responsibility level, so your 4th line center could easily and comfortably play the 2nd line, etc etc.  And when you have injuries you can really limit the minutes of call-ups. 

However - this could be a blessing and not a curse - if we end up getting a lottery win out of it.  I wouldn't choose that path as it is a crap-shoot and you can get players down the draft who are just as good ("can" - however unlikely it does happen, like with Boeser).  But if those are the cards you are dealt with, you hope for a lottery win...

On 12/7/2017 at 10:15 PM, realfan201777 said:

I really  think we are going to go on a scoreless spree for some time after seeing todays performance and playoff hopes will be lost. Canucks were playing really well until today.  Edler needs to be traded asap. Really the scary thing is who is going to create the offense like horvat and put the puck in the net for the next 6 weeks ?  We need to bring up  another  star like Horvat who can create some offense and score while he is out to keep our playoff hopes alive!! Considering we couldnt even hit the net today offense is going to be a HUGE issue.  Who do you all have in mind that can do horvats job until he is out??  With that offensive performance we are going to be in a lot of trouble which could potentially destroy a good start to a season. And ffs can we hit the net?  And seriously we need someone who can bomb the puck from the point on powerplays instead of these little wristers which get blocked 95% of the time.  Seriously is sami SALO still around lol?  Boeser cannot hold up the offense by himself and he will slowly get frustrated. It just shows how we cannot hold our game together after 1 star gets injured. I hope for quick recovery for horvat and sutter. Its also about time we give our Jordan Subban a chance just to see how he performs if Tanev is out (hopefully not). Hint Hint our team has performed better as we got younger. Maybe he will fire off  with some offense and give the team a boost.!!  Oh and where is reid boucher? I think he performs much better than goldobin. 

quadruple-facepalm_o_1973859.jpg

Archived