The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks still compete for a playoff spot ?

falcons

6 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

True.  But I believe in letting nature take its course.  My point is with the lottery system it's pointless to tank.

It's really not pointless.  It's just not rewarded with 100% efficiency.  I mean, aren't you glad we picked 5th this last draft rather than 12th or something?

Of course they can make the playoffs.  But it will be a steep hill to climb with a lot of other clubs ( and quite a few better than ours at this point) already fighting hard to right their ships and get back in the game.  Dallas, Minny, Chicago ( who appears to be back in it after a four game slide) ANA, Calgary and San Jose all are making a push to get into or keep a spot, even Edmonton who dug themselves and immense hole managed to do alright over the last ten games with significant time missed by Talbot ( who's has a rough start to say the least).

Vegas has Fluery back and beat PIT upon his return but there is a lot of hockey left and they aren't winning as much as they were at the start of the season...a trend that if continues will likely cut their Cinderella entrance short.  

The Central Division is absolutely sick with talented teams again and almost certainly will hold both wild card spots.  This makes intra division games a must win (without loser points) for all teams in the Pacific if they want a seat at the table come April.  For the Canucks it's a must win situation every time, and if they can pull that off they might just make it.

Personally I'm happy either way, we have one of the best young players we've ever had in Boeser, a coach that so far has done a great job given the circumstances and seems to have revived the Sedins when I was sure they were done, and has kept the team in most games.  

If we are a lottery team we have a shot at a very talented group and hopefully Benning can repeat last year's epic draft.  If we are a playoff team as we know anything can happen given what the Predators, Ottawa and San Jose managed the last two years.  And personally I think the cup is coming West this year if Tampa fails to make the final.

22 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

I'm surprised people still think tanking is a good strategy.  I remind you that last draft, the team with the 13th best odds (Flyers) picked 2nd and the 8th best odds (Dallas) picked 3rd.  The team that picked first (NJ) had the 5th best odds.  So really, anything can happen between the teams in the draft.  'Jumping up a couple of spots' is meaningless.

We don't have to "tank"...nature is taking it's course anyway.  And it's not meaningless. We have a better chance at getting a better pick.   And our management's strength is drafting and scouting so give me as high as possible and let JB go to work.

21 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

With injuries: no

Without injuries: no

When are peole going to realize the season isn't 20 games long? Because you are in the mix at the 20 game mark doesn't mean you're good. It means you are better than Arizona.

This team is better than last year, still well below average, and that's ok. We are two good draft picks (can be in 2018) from turning the corner.

Voice of reason. Thank you.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:36 PM, PunjabiCanucks said:

No. We are way too inconsistent! Without Boeser what would we be tbh, as nice as the Sedins played against the Sharks they are inconsistent too and can't be relied on to win us games. Edler cant be relied on and Tanev is getting injured a lot. We lack a top 4 in all honesty we have a couple #2/3 dman, a bunch of 4s and 5s. Markstrom and Nilson have played great up until December, but we lack a true starting goalie and without Sutter and Horvat we are effed for faceoffs.

I still believe in the future and think we are playoff contenders in 3 years if all things work out and cup contenders in 5 to 6.

This ****ing guy...

How did you know?

23 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

I'm surprised people still think tanking is a good strategy.  I remind you that last draft, the team with the 13th best odds (Flyers) picked 2nd and the 8th best odds (Dallas) picked 3rd.  The team that picked first (NJ) had the 5th best odds.  So really, anything can happen between the teams in the draft.  'Jumping up a couple of spots' is meaningless.

I'm surprised people still don't understand the benefits of tanking. It's not just about winning the lottery, as that's unlikely, but the best outcome. The most practical scenario is protecting how far you can fall. We finished 29th last year and were guaranteed no worse than 5th overall. We got Pettersson as a result. We don't get Pettersson without 5th because the rangers at 7th overall were hot for him, but had to settle for lias andersson instead. I'll take another top 5 pick this year and call it a successful tank year. 

50 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Great draft status that Boeser but it’s not like the Canucks could make the playoffs but are choosing not to this year. I think we had a chance to sneak in that all disappeared when Bo got hurt.

We may have been able to weather Bo being out. Baer and Sutter, chances were even slimmer along with D injuries. Prior to Boeser going down, I think we had to win something like 29 out of 46 games from a mathematical standpoint (extremely, extremely unlikely). With Boeser out, it puts the playoff issue to rest. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We may have been able to weather Bo being out. Baer and Sutter, chances were even slimmer along with D injuries. Prior to Boeser going down, I think we had to win something like 29 out of 46 games from a mathematical standpoint (extremely, extremely unlikely). With Boeser out, it puts the playoff issue to rest. 

Without Bo the team has gone 1-5 and in those 6 games they’re being outscored 39-10. I get that the injury list is long and some guys were out before Horvat. However for me watching the team that’s been playing these last 6 games doesn’t look anywhere close to as good as when Bo was in there. Obviously Boeser now (our number one point producer) will take away a lot from the Canucks as well but this team has been sinking since Bo got hurt.

42 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Without Bo the team has gone 1-5 and in those 6 games they’re being outscored 39-10. I get that the injury list is long and some guys were out before Horvat. However for me watching the team that’s been playing these last 6 games doesn’t look anywhere close to as good as when Bo was in there. Obviously Boeser now (our number one point producer) will take away a lot from the Canucks as well but this team has been sinking since Bo got hurt.

No argument here. We've been scrambling ever since Bo went down. And just when we regain some momentum with the Sharks, down goes Brock. 

I'd say this team has been sinking since the injuries of the 2011 SCF. 

Does the Canucks have a realistic chance even with Bo and Boeser not out? Probably still no. They might be able to hang in there for a little bit longer but will eventually fade. The Canucks realistically have to finish top 3 in the division to make the playoff.. LA prolly not catchable.. Vegas doesn’t look like they are going anywhere unless all of a sudden they tank hard. Even if they go .500 the rest of the way they’ll finish with 94 points. That means we have to climb over SJ and Calgary to even have a chance and not to mention Anaheim if they can hang around till getzlaf and Kesler return.. they are disgusting down the middle.. and looking at the central division lol looks like all the wild card spot will be taken by that division.. and we are still one of the lowest scoring teams in the league with avg goaltending . Not a formula of a playoff bound team

8 hours ago, FireGillis said:

I'm surprised people still don't understand the benefits of tanking. It's not just about winning the lottery, as that's unlikely, but the best outcome. The most practical scenario is protecting how far you can fall. We finished 29th last year and were guaranteed no worse than 5th overall. We got Pettersson as a result. We don't get Pettersson without 5th because the rangers at 7th overall were hot for him, but had to settle for lias andersson instead. I'll take another top 5 pick this year and call it a successful tank year. 

I guess we have a different idea of what tanking is.  To me it suggests deliberately losing, either by players not trying hard to win, or management/coaches not playing the best lineup.  We did not tank last year.  We were a depleted team decimated by injuries.  The players that filled in simply weren't good enough, and the result was a 29th place finish.  And it looks like we're headed for a similar fate this season.  Yes, I'm glad we got Pettersson with the 5th pick, and sure, I'll take another top 5 pick this year.  But it won't be by tanking.  It happened, and will happen naturally.

55 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

I guess we have a different idea of what tanking is.  To me it suggests deliberately losing, either by players not trying hard to win, or management/coaches not playing the best lineup.  We did not tank last year.  We were a depleted team decimated by injuries.  The players that filled in simply weren't good enough, and the result was a 29th place finish.  And it looks like we're headed for a similar fate this season.  Yes, I'm glad we got Pettersson with the 5th pick, and sure, I'll take another top 5 pick this year.  But it won't be by tanking.  It happened, and will happen naturally.

Nah, we don't have a different definition. I just use tank as a catch all phrase. It doesn't matter if it's deliberate, the team is just bad or cause of injuries. It's just easier that way to use the same word for all cause the how doesn't matter to me, only the result of a high draft pick is all I care about. 

Missing Tanev, Sutter, and our entire first line, I expect us to struggle pretty badly.  Take away the best shutdown D, 1st line, and top shutdown center from ANY team and I wouldn't expect much.  As a rebuilding team without enough quality depth yet, we're pretty much done.  I'm perfectly happy to be sellers at the deadline and stock up on more picks and prospects.

We've seen a lot of flashes of what's to come that there's little doubt in my mind that the rebuild is working.  If Benning can get the kind of haul he did last year, I'll be ecstatic. 

Archived