The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Cody Glass, Logan Stanley or Gabriel Vilardi

I see these 3 players as low stock targets right now.  None have looked as good as they did when they were drafted,  with two being recent (World Junior) cuts and the other hasn't played a game yet this year. 

Would this be the best time to target one of these players in a trade?  What do you think their value would be set at? 

LA, NY Rangers and Chicago all look playoff bound, would Gudbranson be enough for Vilardi, Stanley or Glass?

What about Vanek and a 2nd?

What do you guys think?

Don't assume GMs are as bipolar and impatient as their respective teams fanbases. There are many players that don't blossom in their draft+1 and turn out just fine. Remember how bad PLD looked last year?

Logan Stanley isn't someone you want to target. He was drafted much higher than he should have been. He's an alright player in his own end but needs to improve his skating immensely to make the jump.

Vilardi after coming off a back injury (always scary) has 61 it's in 49 games. Not only that, HE ALONE IS THE SPITFIRES OFFENCE. Without him they're nothing.  Not even close. He and dipietro are the only reason the spits are in the cellar right now. 

As for cost glass I can't comment much on because I don't watch any whl.  But I'll ask you this. Would you trade juolevi for vrbata and a 2nd? Don't answer that. It's rhetorical.

20 minutes ago, 2011 said:

I see these 3 players as low stock targets right now.  None have looked as good as they did when they were drafted,  with two being recent (World Junior) cuts and the other hasn't played a game yet this year. 

Would this be the best time to target one of these players in a trade?  What do you think their value would be set at? 

LA, NY Rangers and Chicago all look playoff bound, would Gudbranson be enough for Vilardi, Stanley or Glass?

What do you guys think?

Vilardi's been injured all season, Glass has been having a pretty solid season as well, and Stanley isn't someone I'm too high on, but has value to the Jets. Btw Stanley plays for the Kitchener Rangers, not NYR, and Glass is a Portland Winterhawk, not CHI. 

3 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Vilardi's been injured all season, Glass has been having a pretty solid season as well, and Stanley isn't someone I'm too high on, but has value to the Jets. Btw Stanley plays for the Kitchener Rangers, not NYR, and Glass is a Portland Winterhawk, not CHI. 

My apologies, I rushed my post a bit (trying to get it done before the little one wakes up from her nap), I saw the jerseys and assumed that was their draft teams. 

Thankfully Winnipeg and Vegas are still in the playoff pictures, so the question remains relevant. 

Just now, 2011 said:

My apologies, I rushed my post a bit (trying to get it done before the little one wakes up from her nap), I saw the jerseys and assumed that was their draft teams. 

Thankfully Winnipeg and Vegas are still in the playoff pictures, so the question remains relevant. 

No problem at all. However, Glass and Vilardi wouldn't come cheap as their only 6 months out of their draft, and Stanley isn't someone I think is all too great. Also, players on ELC's are very valuable to contending teams as they help them remain under the cap and give them cheap scoring options. 

19 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Nope, don't think so. Takes a very good prospect or player to get one. I think Guddy is worth a 2nd and an A- prospect, not an A+ prospect.

Though I agree it is unlikely, playoff (cup contenders) have done this sort of thing before.  

Example from last year:

TO CALGARY: C Curtis Lazar; D Mike Kostka
TO OTTAWA: D Jyrki Jokipakka, 2017 second-round pic

Lazar was 17th overall, so not quite Glass compairable,  but Gudbranson is a lot better than Jokipakka (IMO)

44 minutes ago, 2011 said:

Though I agree it is unlikely, playoff (cup contenders) have done this sort of thing before.  

Example from last year:

TO CALGARY: C Curtis Lazar; D Mike Kostka
TO OTTAWA: D Jyrki Jokipakka, 2017 second-round pic

Lazar was 17th overall, so not quite Glass compairable,  but Gudbranson is a lot better than Jokipakka (IMO)

You have it backwards. Lazar was the main piece in that trade, Jokipakka was just a toss in.

2 hours ago, 2011 said:

What do you guys think?

What would make you think that Cody Glass' stock is low? His numbers this season are better than last season. If you think that being cut by Team Canada for Juniors is indication that his stock is low, you're sadly mistaken. 

22 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

What would make you think that Cody Glass' stock is low? His numbers this season are better than last season. If you think that being cut by Team Canada for Juniors is indication that his stock is low, you're sadly mistaken. 

I was basing it on the fact the Glass has been outperformed by players picked lower than him. 

I should clarify, what I mean when I say his stock is low.  I don't mean bottom of league low, I mean low based on the players expected performance.  I expected Glass to make the world junior team. 

35 minutes ago, 2011 said:

I was basing it on the fact the Glass has been outperformed by players picked lower than him. 

I should clarify, what I mean when I say his stock is low.  I don't mean bottom of league low, I mean low based on the players expected performance.  I expected Glass to make the world junior team. 

So you're only basing it on him not making the world junior team then? You do know that he still has a chance to make it for next year, right? As I said, his numbers are better than last year's even though the opposition's keying in on him: 1.59 ppg with +25. Which players picked lower than him were you comparing him to. Here are the forwards drafted immediately after him:

7) Lias Andersson - bust!

8) Casey Mittelstadt - less than 1 ppg college

9) Michael Rasmussen - 1.4 ppg in same league as Glass

10) Owen Tippett - didn't do much in the NHL, and after getting sent back down, only 1.2 ppg

11) Gabriel Vilardi - still coming back from injury

12) Martin Necas - didn't do much in the NHL, and after getting sent down, barely scoring

13) Nick Suzuki - managed 1.57 ppg but not as goo a +/- but also got cut 

The next ones are D-men. I'm very happy we got Elias Pettersson one spot ahead of Glass, but I'm still confused as to why you think his stock is low.

There's little to no reason for Vegas to trade Glass. They don't need to contend, and it's the first half of his post draft season. GMs generally aren't as knee jerky as us fans. Like when we attacked Jake. Although some of us still do. And with that said Glass isn't even having that bad of a season, statistically he is having a better season. Lol. WJC is a fan thing. We seen players do very well there and not do much in the NHL. Gadjovich made the roster. I love him but would you, as Vegas, trade Glass for Gadjovich straight up just cause Gadjovich made the Canadian team? Maybe team Canada is incredibly deep at center and they have two people that can bring what Glass can bring better, and the other 2 bring something he doesn't. Glass is fine, he'll either make the team next year or be in the NHL next year. Either way this means nothing as far as his value goes. At least it shouldn't.

17 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

So you're only basing it on him not making the world junior team then? You do know that he still has a chance to make it for next year, right? As I said, his numbers are better than last year's even though the opposition's keying in on him: 1.59 ppg with +25. Which players picked lower than him were you comparing him to. Here are the forwards drafted immediately after him:

7) Lias Andersson - bust!

8) Casey Mittelstadt - less than 1 ppg college

9) Michael Rasmussen - 1.4 ppg in same league as Glass

10) Owen Tippett - didn't do much in the NHL, and after getting sent back down, only 1.2 ppg

11) Gabriel Vilardi - still coming back from injury

12) Martin Necas - didn't do much in the NHL, and after getting sent down, barely scoring

13) Nick Suzuki - managed 1.57 ppg but not as goo a +/- but also got cut 

The next ones are D-men. I'm very happy we got Elias Pettersson one spot ahead of Glass, but I'm still confused as to why you think his stock is low.

You make good points, and 

I am not stating in any way that Glass is a bad player and I won't ignore that his WHL stats are good.  But it is a league that isn't taken as seriously as others, the guy currently leading the league in points was drafted in the 2nd round last year (71points in 29 games).

I did however state that I am basing his "Stock being at a low point" based on being outperformed by players picked lower than him. 

There are 3 players in the WHL, drafted in 2017, that are above him in overall point production.  There are players named to Team Cananda that were picked lower (2017 draft picks) than him. 

This is potentially the lowest his stock could go.  I highly doubt Vegas would give up on him, but if a trade scenario came up that made sense to the team, you never know. 

I doesn't hurt to inquire.

On 17/12/2017 at 8:42 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Your aware of how bad Lazar has been right? In my mind Ottowa won this trade

Turns out they have so far, but Lazar still had the WJC  smile shine to him and was looking like a sure thing for a while here in Ottawa so not everyone understood this at the time.

On 12/17/2017 at 5:23 PM, 73 Percent said:

Don't assume GMs are as bipolar and impatient as their respective teams fanbases. There are many players that don't blossom in their draft+1 and turn out just fine. Remember how bad PLD looked last year?

Logan Stanley isn't someone you want to target. He was drafted much higher than he should have been. He's an alright player in his own end but needs to improve his skating immensely to make the jump.

Vilardi after coming off a back injury (always scary) has 61 it's in 49 games. Not only that, HE ALONE IS THE SPITFIRES OFFENCE. Without him they're nothing.  Not even close. He and dipietro are the only reason the spits are in the cellar right now. 

As for cost glass I can't comment much on because I don't watch any whl.  But I'll ask you this. Would you trade juolevi for vrbata and a 2nd? Don't answer that. It's rhetorical.

I totally agree. 

Every prospect develops at a different rate and in a different way.

While it's fun to wheel and deal prospects in here and imagine the possibilities of acquiring them, responsible management teams know and understand the work each prospect has to put in to be a successful NHLer and are not readily willing to part with them.

Rare circumstances do come about. A team may be pushing for the playoffs and feel that a certain player may be the one to put them over the top for a cup run. Under this circumstance, one might be inclined to offer something significant but would still want a significant return. Managers are not foolish and understand the value of what they have.

Using tournaments like the WJHC to gauge players rates of development is not effective and offers little purposeful information on these players. Them making, or not making, their country's team means very little to team brass. 

Another fact is that none of us understand the process of developing a player or recognize exactly when that player is ready as we've never been a part of this process.

We only see the result when they make the NHL.

But, in the interest of conversation, I would want Glass. I wanted us to draft him but, obviously, JB felt differently.

As it appears Pettersson is settling nicely into a wing position, we are still in need of a premier center. Glass possesses all the skills JB likes in his players, which is why I thought he was a lock to be drafted by us.

This being said, I don't think there is any chance we could pry him out of Vegas unless they truly feel he won't develop into what they thought but that time is not now.

Archived