The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trudeau more unpopular than popular for the first time since election: survey

tbone909

It is too early to judge Justin Trudeau since he has been in power 2 years.   But I find the hatred of Harper and the Conservatives by some members on this forum to be very irrational.  Are Harper and the Conservatives the worse ever as some think?   Probably not.  Most people on this forum are young people and only have memory of recent Prime Ministers.   They have not lived under Diefenbaker,  Lester Pearson, P. Trudeau,  Joe Clark,  Mulroney, Kim Campbell, John Turner, Chretien, Paul Martin and Harper like I have.   I have seen all of them and all of them had good points and bad points.   They all try to serve Canada the best they can.

I rank the Prime Minister I lived under as follows.

1. Jean Chretian

2. Paul Martin.

3. Pierre Trudeau

4. Lester Pearson

5. Steven Harper

6. Brian Mulroney

7. John Diefenbaker

The rest of the Prime Ministers have not serve long enough to make their mark.

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

What are you suggesting ???

Create  a Canadian Guantanamo Bay ?   We could build it near Churchill Manitoba - top of hudson bay.....

This is why the conservatives will keep losing elections because they rely on sensationalism rather than substance. 

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees all of our citizens inalienable rights. The cost of the freedom we all enjoy is that we cannot pick and choose who is protected. If these individuals have committed crimes then it will have to be proven in our courts. The only legal recourse the Canadian government has is to monitor these individuals for signs that they may endanger the lives of those around them. We just have to hope that these individuals will choose to be law abiding citizens. 

Trudeau cannot wave a magic wand and make these people go away no more than Harper ever could. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, TheAce said:

Whats really sickening about this are these are people who were burning people alive in cages, raping little girls, destroying and killing everywhere they went and they get welcomed back even better than our war vets. These people arent turning away from ISIS because they are changed people but because they have lost and have nowhere else to go.  This decision has to be one of the biggest slap in the faces to law abiding citizens that ive ever seen . How Canadians arent outraged over this is beyond me

“Manchurian Candidate”?  

20 hours ago, Hobble said:

Is anyone aware of a good website to track the voting/performance of the current PMs and/or our local MPs?

I'd rather vote informed next election rather than just by which party theoretically matches my ideals.

https://trudeaumetre.polimeter.org

roughly 1/2 way through the mandate but lots of work to go. A few pretty big broken promises too, but also some good achievements. If i was marking them I'd probably give them a C+ at this point but if they manage to fulfill the rest of their mandate I'd probably bump it to a B-. But I'm usually Liberal voter since the CPC went  too socially conservative for my liking. 

you can keep track of MPs here: https://openparliament.ca

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

So glad we in canada have a leader that promotes tolerance and peace  

Versus the usa that has a leader that promotes intolerance and hate 

Yes, the commingling of religion-based cultures is such a great idea, but why isn’t Israel or Saudia Arabia doing it with as much inviting “tolerance”?

Nobody should think twice about it. Especially not the people charged with executing the needs of the People. 

Imagine If our Silver spoon-man took illegal immigration seriously. Imagine if he cited hate fact statistics on the subject. 

Imagine if he flipped the language of the Left on itself and played up the division of politics game, essentially forcing the country’s people into fragmented, special interest groups to stand on their own as equals. The hate,

Imagine if the existing culture of the majority was expected to be respected and honoured. Again, is the Left demanding Saudia Arabia or Israel to temper their cultures and religious celebrations to suit meh feelings of foreigners?Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays, for instance. Yes, the tolerant Left. 

The outrage and hate, alright - base viewpoints; a direct product of social media. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, the commingling of religion-based cultures is such a great idea, but why isn’t Israel or Saudia Arabia doing it with as much inviting “tolerance”?

Nobody should think twice about it. Especially not the people charged with executing the needs of the People. 

Imagine If our Silver spoon-man took illegal immigration seriously. 

Imagine if he flipped the language of the Left on itself and played up the division of politics game, essentially forcing the country’s into fragmented, special interest groups to stand on their own as equals.

Imagine if the existing culture of the majority was expected to be respected and honoured. Again, is the Left demanding Saudia Arabia or Israel to temper their cultures and religious celebrations to suit meh feelings of foreigners?Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays, for instance. Yes, the tolerant Left. 

The outrage and hate, alright - base viewpoints; a direct product of social media. 

we don't really have an illegal immigration problem, thats a bit overblown. Yes people have crossed the border since Trumpy took over, but they're in the refugee system and most will be deported eventually. 

Harper really set us off on divisive politics imo anyway, but if we're honest politics have always been a bit nasty. 

I'm not sure what lever we have to tell Saudi's what to do... any ideas?

51 minutes ago, Toews said:

This is why the conservatives will keep losing elections because they rely on sensationalism rather than substance. 

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees all of our citizens inalienable rights. The cost of the freedom we all enjoy is that we cannot pick and choose who is protected. If these individuals have committed crimes then it will have to be proven in our courts. The only legal recourse the Canadian government has is to monitor these individuals for signs that they may endanger the lives of those around them. We just have to hope that these individuals will choose to be law abiding citizens. 

Trudeau cannot wave a magic wand and make these people go away no more than Harper ever could. 

Lol they governed for 10 years then lost an election where they still nearly won a 100 seats. But clearly you can see the future so could I get the winning lotto numbers?

As for the rest of your post it's pretty disturbing in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we don't really have an illegal immigration problem, thats a bit overblown. Yes people have crossed the border since Trumpy took over, but they're in the refugee system and most will be deported eventually. 

Harper really set us off on divisive politics imo anyway, but if we're honest politics have always been a bit nasty. 

I'm not sure what lever we have to tell Saudi's what to do... any ideas?

Division and Politics are one in same.

*Imagine, it was meant to be taken literally. 

I find it funny how since the Left lost the election, we all became racists, bigots and woman haters. I don’t care for either side, but this is how I see things as of today:

98783D89-7E42-44E7-A775-E2D0AB33C66F.jpeg.e5d3d6bf2ed4f7f00991952119f6b491.jpeg

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Division and Politics are one in same.

*Imagine, it was meant to be taken literally. 

I find it funny how since the Left lost the election, we all became racists, bigots and woman haters. I don’t care for either side, but this is how I see things as of today:

98783D89-7E42-44E7-A775-E2D0AB33C66F.jpeg.e5d3d6bf2ed4f7f00991952119f6b491.jpeg

what wrong with full inclusion for LGBTQ+ people? how does that harm anyone? I've never really heard a good argument against it. 

• Upvote 3

whatever comments i may have made previously about justin trudeau

are revised and altered due to the decision to have canada abstain from the un vote condemning the usa

and it is aggravated by the fact that he is the son of PET

pierre elliot trudeau must be rolling in his grave in embarrassment over his son's recent antics

whatever happened to voicing your principles and the consequences be damned

sometimes you just have to stand up

i am not very political and could not be bothered to debate the nuances of many political decisions in this country

but the important international ones have always interested me

and overall our leadership has done fairly well standing up for canada when it counted

chretian has my permanent respect for standing up to the usa over iraq

when so many european countries simply backed the usa

he asked "where's the proof" and refused to be drawn in

now we have a weak kneed leader hailing most recently from the westcoast

who has shamed this country in the un

you have lost my respect permanently justin

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

whatever comments i may have made previously about justin trudeau

are revised and altered due to the decision to have canada abstain from the un vote condemning the usa

and it is aggravated by the fact that he is the son of PET

pierre elliot trudeau must be rolling in his grave in embarrassment over his son's recent antics

whatever happened to voicing your principles and the consequences be damned

sometimes you just have to stand up

i am not very political and could not be bothered to debate the nuances of many political decisions in this country

but the important international ones have always interested me

and overall our leadership has done fairly well standing up for canada when it counted

chretian has my permanent respect for standing up to the usa over iraq

when so many european countries simply backed the usa

he asked "where's the proof" and refused to be drawn in

now we have a weak kneed leader hailing most recently from the westcoast

who has shamed this country in the un

you have lost my respect permanently justin

Your critique has substance, is completely on point and unlike the lemmings on here who engage in sensationalist rhetoric, is actually persuasive.

Trudeau capitulated to threats from the White House and has made Canada look weaker. Very disappointing look for our country.

Edited by Toews