The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

Check out hrudy last night during the second time intermission.  Ducks flames.

wow.

i was thinking the same thing.  The veins in his temples were throbbing because his flames were gooned up a bit...I think I hate Hrudey on CBC more than I hate Simpson.  I remember a few years back when he was practically openly cheering for Dallas vs the Canucks in the playoffs...hes a Calgary lover to say the least....

4 hours ago, apollo said:

The most disgusting thing about last night wasn't the loss. 

It was listening to Craig Simpson talk for 3 periods. He's my most hated voice in hockey. No one hates Vancouver like he does. 

Even Hughson has become a Toronto sell out but at least he says it like it is. 

Simpson is the most unprofessional man in hockey commentary 

LOL if you look at the Toronto forums that's exactly what they say about him except that he hates Toronto. 

13 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Yeah. I was in their yesterday with the wife and kids. The young guy in there (who says he looks like Tyler Tafoli) said they are $311 with tax plus 2 free tickets to the Nux vs Avs on Jan 30th. I told him I already got my free Adidas season ticket jersey and just need Boeser crested on it. Fyi...Pro Hockey Life in Tsawassen Mills does the stiched kits for $60 compared to $120 through the Canucks store. That Canucks team store at Tsawassen Mills is closing this Friday and they are moving all their inventory to the arena store. Woukd explain why everything is half price.

oh lame.. that was my go to store when I went over there from the island.  why do they gotta move!! why lordie why.

Boeser was amazing all game. He gets what Green has told him he needs to do to play. You notice him so much when he has the puck. He skates and turns well, he just is driven and determined. Even better was watching him without the puck last night. First period he cases Matthews behind the net into the corner, turns him and shoves him off the puck. He does it again later in the game. He just dogs the puck and strips Matthews and skates away. He was all over the ice pursuing the puck and attacking it hard. People knock his skating but he knows where to be and how to get there. He just always showed up with the puck and kept it with him. He created a lot in that game. You can see what people mean when they want Van to get more high end talent. such a difference to watch this guy skate and play and shoot.

Goldobin and Virt need to be following in those foot steps. Hard play every shift every game. Lots of comments on Virt and not being good last night but I saw him playing with speed and drive. I think sometimes linemates are going to have something to do with it too but he seemed to be forechecking and using his speed to move and hustle. I think it's small steps with him, get him playing hard and consistently first and he will see he gets more trust from Green. I get what Green is saying and doing and in the long run I think it'll produce better players out of all the young guys.

Impressed with Dowd last night.

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

That's pretty cool. You went up a notch in my book agent.

Fwiw, just finishing up watching the game and this is exactly what I'm talking about with how many are so completely biased with hate goggles for Edler. 

Give the other team some credit there. The Leafs made a damn good play to get behind the D and get a good scoring chance. When you're playing against the best players on the other team, they might score regardless of how well you play. 

Second, that was on Stecher's side. He let the player by and Edler had to not only chase back but over to his off side to even TRY to catch him. There's only so much the guy can do! 

I'd actually say Edler (and other frequent CDC rented mule, Gudbranson) both had pretty damn good games. Especially considering the added load of covering for the Tanev injury. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Leaders usually lead by example.  Talk is cheap. 

Exactly.  Henrik Sedin shows his leadership by how he acts both on and off the ice.  How hard he works in practice and in games.  That is how you show leadership.  Henrik was never a goal scorer he's always the passer, but you should know that being a canucks fan.  Age has caught up to him now, but saying that he's not a good leader is a ridiculous comment to make.  Not only is he respected in the canucks dressing room, I'm sure he's respected throughout the NHL.

4 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Firstly, those beating on Edler, he actually had a monster of a game quietly, what was it, 8 blocked shots and 5 hits (or vice versa)?. People blaming him for a football hail mary pass that Bozak picked out of the air by fluke, has it land perfectly flat and he gets a juicy rebound are on crack,  how is that his fault? Where should Edler have been standing before that pass? At his own right circle when the play was in the Toronto end? really? Look, I am not a huge Edler fan, I actually think he should be moved to somewhere like Ottawa where he can play a quiet number 2 but he doesn't deserve this nonsense from fans repeatedly.

If you watched how he played with Karlsson in the worlds (a real number 1), you'd see that he is just being forced to play a role (as many canucks are now) over his head, and has had to his whole career. He is a number 2 dman, that's all. That being said, did anyone notice anything dazzling from Matthews last night? Or Marner? not much right? Well who had those matchups? Especially when Tanev went down? People are overly simplistic in their assessments and often just want to 'blame' someone, and it seems that's usually Edler. At the same time, people who complain about losses are also saying, "man we need Dahlin!" lol....absurd. Edler played very well given the circumstances and who he has to match up with every night - criticisms here of his game are unwarranted, he is a number 2 not a number 1, and not a PP QB - he is forced into those roles and has been his whole career given a lack of alternative for the Canucks.

Amen x1

3 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

That pass came up to's left side which is our right side. Stecher got caught watching the play and let Bozak past him. Edler had to try to angle Bozak off all the way from the other side of the ice. He took the path to the net away so Bozak had to shoot. The rebound came right back to Bozak and he scored. Not Edler's fault in any way.

What I found most impressive about Edler's game last night was his minute and a half shift on the PK in OT. This after already putting in over 28 minutes in regulation. People who can't even notice let alone appreciate something like that obviously have a bias which blinds them to his solid play.

Amen X2

2 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Alot of people dont consider the following when complaining about him

- He's really a number 2 being forced to play #1

- He faces every teams best players night in night out and generally with a journeyman partner

- Guy is logging 20+ minutes a night, hit 28 last night

- He is not Drew Doughty or Shea Weber

If we was partnered with one of those guys or as we saw in the worlds with Karlsson and could play a stay at home simple game, look how amazing he was. He's being and has been forced to play above his level for his entire career and then people complain, oh he's not a number 1! No shyte! But someone has to take those minutes, shall we play Hutton as our number 1? LOL

People just don't 'think' much

Amen x3

@73 Percent

Want to add, holy hell on that Boeser OT shot! That puck was a blur even after slowing down after hitting 2 posts and in slow motion! :shock:

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

i was thinking the same thing.  The veins in his temples were throbbing because his flames were gooned up a bit...I think I hate Hrudey on CBC more than I hate Simpson.  I remember a few years back when he was practically openly cheering for Dallas vs the Canucks in the playoffs...hes a Calgary lover to say the least....

Healy Simpson hrudy:sick:

12 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Henrik was never a goal scorer he's always the passer, but you should know that being a canucks fan.  Age has caught up to him now, but saying that he's not a good leader is a ridiculous comment to make.  Not only is he respected in the canucks dressing room, I'm sure he's respected throughout the NHL.

Pretty sure Henrik had a  29 goal season.......  

Of course he is respected.  Henrik is going into the HOF.

I am hoping the next leadership group on our club has players that lead by their current play.  

To win in the NHL ,  a team needs its  highest paid  players to lead the team on the ice and not only in the room. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure Henrik had a  29 goal season.......  

Of course he is respected.  Henrik is going into the HOF.

I am hoping the next leadership group on our club has players that lead by their current play.  

To win in the NHL ,  a team needs its  highest paid  players to lead the team on the ice and not only in the room. 

So if they sign next year for a million dollars each, you will stop making comments criticizing their leadership?  I don't think you will.  The Sedins' have earned their contracts from what they have done previously.  Nobody predicted that their production would come to this.  I'm sure it's disappointing to the both of them.  But criticizing their leadership is not right.  Criticizing their production, sure.  I think they should be producing a lot more than they are at the moment.  But I can't criticize their leadership.

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

So if they sign next year for a million dollars each, you will stop making comments criticizing their leadership?  I don't think you will.  The Sedins' have earned their contracts from what they have done previously.  Nobody predicted that their production would come to this.  I'm sure it's disappointing to the both of them.  But criticizing their leadership is not right.  Criticizing their production, sure.  I think they should be producing a lot more than they are at the moment.  But I can't criticize their leadership.

No way hank and danny want to play next year for 1 mil.   I don't see that happening. 

I am also sure both of them are very disappointed with their production and the teams progress again this year.

I am looking forward to the time when our next core of leaders steps up and leads our team on the ice.  I am very hopeful that Boeser and Horvat can be part of this group. 

Archived