The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Columbus Blue Jackets

-Vintage Canuck-

Not the best game of Markstrom's career, but although he created some adventures for himself, he battled so deserved the win.

Baertschi was a real difference maker... he can make a line go.  I'm really waiting to see Bo get back so they can team up again with Boeser... return of the "Killa Bees".  B)

Nice to see Gaunce get a goal... although if his stick hadn't broken he probably would not have scored.  He telegraphs every shot he makes... and usually puts them in the breadbasket for an easy save.

Good game by Gags...  he didn't score but he was all over the ice and picked up an assist.

Also good game by Edler... a couple big hits and picks up a goal.

Everytime I watch Pierre Luc Dubois I curse Canuck luck... we should have drafted this kid if the Hockey Gods were at all fair... he will be a star in the league very soon... big, strong, (watching him as a 19 year old fight off Gudbranson or Edler with no real difficulty) has moves and soft hands too.  #1 Center material.  Imagine him creating havoc on the same line as Boeser?  But never fear, Columbus will lock him up longterm... he'll never wear a Canadian uniform.  :(

9 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

the team played the same way it has all season

the diff tonight was:

opponent 4th game in 6 nights

Tanev being Tanev

goals from multiple freak sources

29 pucks hitting the post behind Marky.

let's not dress it up. that's what happened.

I agree, and im not being negative as the team showed lots of fight tonight, but in reality the score could have been so very different. In the scheme of things if you score goals this creates pressure and tonight the Canucks were never under pressure, but if some of those posts were goals instead then the game changes and who knows what would have happened. 

I love the result and think the team deserved some puckluck for a change. But as DP has mentioned above there were many influences that went the Canucks way.

3 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

I like Dowd but jury is still out, too small a sample size but he competes, plays a heavy game, is good defensively and was awesome in the circle tonight. Ask me at the end of the year but he could be a Manny 2.0 - plays a similar game

If he is Manny 2.0, Benning should have a contract extension for that trade alone....

5-2 is magic number for Canucks.

This morning I think Tort is handsome coach of Jacket, because he will make Canucks win. Now I ensure Canucks win because we have Green as our coach.

Our D-group played very solid with 2 goals, keep it!

Gagne was pretty.

Dowd win most of playoff, his line looks quite good. Gaunce and Jake scored.

Baer was quite efficiency in PP.  After Bo and Sutter back from injury, our 4 lines will be very dangerous.

Boeser had no point to-night, but he played outstanding.

Goldy was the only forwarder playing quietly.

Goalie Marky was weak.   If not, we have great opportunity to get another SO tonight.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

When I said help I didn't mean teach as such.

this team hasn't had this chemistry since 2011 and before.

I don't think that "teach" is the right word.  I think they have fun together and kind of riff off each other as they play hockey.  The Boeser goal against Chicago is a great example.  Vanek dropped the puck and probably fooled everybody in the house except for Boeser who fired it home.  Chemistry is about being on the same wave length because hockey happens too fast for it to be a conscious affair.  Players have to just react.  When you can let go, then you're in the zone.   

But on the other hand, you can never forget yourself.  You have to remain in the game.  This is the hard part I think for young players.  

I think that Boeser is there at this point.  How many wingers do you see regularly behind his own goal line?  He is completely engaged in both directions.  I don't think there's anything to left to teach this guy.  He will continue to develop but nobody has to tell him to mind his responsibilities.

My thoughts on the game.

boeser was alright, but cleary was targeted as the main scoring threat so him having to adjust a little bit in the next couple of weeks doesnt shock me whatsoever.

Virtanen belongs in the NHL, and is consistently one of our best players on the ice

sedins are still effective

Edler was a beast

Guddy was a beast

i like Dowd

Gaunce only scores awful goals, but who are we to care about how pretty they are

Markstrom had a SOLID game 

Stecher and Tanev were solid

vanek has a high hockey iq

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Absolutely, he finished the game with 5 hits including this one

being physical like he was here

gud.gif?w=642&h=353

5 shot attempts, blocked shots and scored this goal, which was a nice feed from Eriksson.

gudbra.gif?w=565&h=311

Just loved him clearing the crease.... Been dying to see this since Bieksa...

4 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

I like Dowd but jury is still out, too small a sample size but he competes, plays a heavy game, is good defensively and was awesome in the circle tonight. Ask me at the end of the year but he could be a Manny 2.0 - plays a similar game

He doesnt score nor distribute the puck.   He is a slight upgrade on Chaput.   

3 hours ago, gameburn said:

He just doesn't seem to get the idea of a 200 foot game.  Maybe in Russia the scorers are not expected to be as complete players as ours here (usually.)   It took Ovechkin a while to get better at the defensive game.  Malkin too, come to think of it. Datsyk, though, was always fantastic both ways, so maybe the Russian thing isn't the only thing for Goldobin.  Maybe the option to return to the KHL gives some players the feeling that they don't have to change their game for the North American situation.

Malkin, Ovie, put up points though.   Goldy could be excused if he could put points up but he doesnt generate anything.   I think they will keep working on him but if he goes back to Utica it wont be to work on his game but rather the nucks saying we aren't going to waste time on him.

When Horvat first came up you could see almostly immediately that he is going to be an Nhler, Brock the same.   Goldy doesnt give that feeling.  I watched him live in December and was quite shocked at his inability to impact the play in anyway.   

3 hours ago, xereau said:

Whole D was excellent tonight.   Could see it right from the get go.  Edler and Stecher both made a few good pinches, like really smart aggressive ones that led to shots, and then Elder laid down the BOOM.  Guddy was manhandling guys in the crease and Tanev really helps Hutton's game out.

The Dowd line was good again.  More than good.  He is a solid 4th line center, and I am unsure why LA gave up on him.  Gaunce was finally rewarded.  Jake was flying and hitting.  And got minutes at the end of the game as a reward.

Brock was shut down thoroughly.  Gagner is just not a good enough center for him.  Bo can not come back soon enough.  Oh, and Vanek is a beauty.

The only player out there that concerned me was Goldobin.  Dude looks lost.  He is always chasing the play.  Shadowing his center up and down the ice, and rarely going to the dirty areas for passes or loose pucks.  I don't know what he is going to do when we get healthy... On a side note, I noticed him looking all around during the anthems, at the camera, into the stands, at the other team, at his feet.  He seems (and looks too!) like a little kid with ADHD.

Dowd is an upgrade on Chaput but would like to see more O from him before saying we got an okay player.    Dead on about Goldy.   He looks completely clueless  disinterested and just following what is going on out there like a lost puppy.  I don't see any use in sending him down cause the problem is his game at the NHL level.   I have watched and played hockey a long time and I would strongly bet he will not be with us next year.   If he gets sent down then I would think that is the last time we see him.    Right now I think he is the worst player on the ice for us.   He will be 23rd at the start of next year.   People say that is young, but not in the world of hockey anymore.  If he hasn't figured out how to play at 22 and show traces of it well that is a bad sign.

Archived