The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Will NOT Finish DFL. Guaranteed!

TheGuardian_

I agree with the OP. They wont finish dead f#ckin' last. But they wont make the playoffs, they wont be in a wildcard position, and they wont be a contender for some time.

Apologies for coming off like a Debbie Downer, but it's a truth that's right in front of our eyes.

Brock and Horvat are Canuck drafts that panned out and we're fortunate to have. The trades we made for former other teams first rounders, Baer, Poulliot, are panning out, save for Goldy,  who's still a work in progress. As is Virtanen, our 1st rounder.

We've high profile 1st round prospects in the wings in, Pettersson, Joulevi, and higher drafts with potential, and that's just it. Potential?!?!??!??

Lind, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lockwood, to name a few. ( I realize I'm missing others. Just can't think of 'em right now....apologies.) We still don't know if they'll even make the big leagues. and if any of them do, will they excel like Bo and Brock, or will they be ongoing projects like Virt. 

We all know that we still lack a stud quarterback Dman, an impact centre, probably a sniper winger, and a #1 goalie. Are these prospects the ones? Time will tell.

Dead last in 2017/2018?  Probably not. Contenders? Be patient my friends. Be patient....

Gi Canuck Go!

21 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Your guess, it's all a guess.

but his guess.... is a "guarantee"!!

And there is yet another "generational" player in this draft.

Half the als0-rans in the NHL will soon have "generational" players.  I guarantee it.

22 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Can we really call them generational players when there have been 3 or 4 in the past few years?

By definition, isn't a generational player one that only comes around once per generation?  It seems that phrase has been a tad overused lately.

I choose to view it more as the players that define the generation. 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't disagree about the 2nd half. Wrote this elsewhere:

Still the conversation was that Elvis pointed out we had young players playing well at the start of the season, the team was playing well. We were playing a fast paced attacking style while limiting the twins minutes etc and winning games. Grit attempted to re-write history that only Boeser apparently was doing well. I pointed out that that was inaccurate.

Thats pretty laughable and overly dramatic of you to say. I clearly commented on the "stars" aspect of Elvis' response and then backed it up when I pointed out in my response to you how sad it is to refer to Baertschi as a "star". Anything else you managed to get from my comment is your own projection.

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

Thats pretty laughable and overly dramatic of you to say. I clearly commented on the "stars" aspect of Elvis' response and then backed it up when I pointed out in my response to you how sad it is to refer to Baertschi as a "star". Anything else you managed to get from my comment is your own projection.

Sure chief.

Just now, GritGrinder said:

Actually I think you're supposed to use "bud" when you have zero response to someone pointing out a flaw of yours but you do you.

I'm not your buddy, pal.

And Baer may not be in the upper echelon of NHL superstars but he is certainly a top 6 NHL 'star' FWIW. But feel free to carry on...

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The players below are the closest comparables to Baertschi in terms of age, games played, points, salary etc. 3rd/4th liners and depth forwards mostly and nothing resembling a "top 6 NHL star". I guess maybe the last few years of watching the trainwreck that has been the Canucks has made you forget what actual young stars look like.

Namestikov

Donskoi

Zucker

Bennett

Martinook

Kassian

M. Foligno

Lindberg

Dzingel

B. Ritchie

Rieder

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

Members of CDC who don’t want the Sedins next season. Who’s going to replace them? They are still second liners. Plus if they stay one more year, hopefully Petterson is ready to nuzzle under their tit in the bigs next season. Could pay huge dividends. 

who replaced Naslund? Jovo? Bertuzzi? they are not irreplaceable. 

22 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah but our depth is non existent, till the young lads mature a bit. One more year with the Twins mentoring Petterson and the other young guys isn’t a bad idea in my opinion. 

maybe... I'd prefer EP with much better defensive players like Bo or Loui 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe... I'd prefer EP with much better defensive players like Bo or Loui 

I didn’t mean on the same line. It just seems right. To have 2 Swedish HOF players nurturing a young Swedish Star prospect. Teach him the training and dedication it takes to be an NHL stud for 10 straight years. 

On 1/22/2018 at 6:39 PM, Solinar said:

You sign vets, you trade them, you get picks, you make em, and trade them as warranted.  This shouldn't be what you do in a rebuild, but what you do...period.  Look at Chicago.  Oh, you're awesome and want a pay day...but we can replace you organizationally....you're gone for more picks, prospects.  Rinse and repeat.  I think the biggest problem in pro sports is loyalty.  There are times to be loyal, there are times to be practical.  

As for being competitive, how about NOT saying outright that you're going to lose like you've never lost before in a competitive league.  You say the right words, you try, and you move along doing what is best for the franchise.  We're going to be competitive with an eye on the future.  Words....things....platitudes.  You can see them as you will, but your business motto shouldn't be, hey, we're going to try suck for 5 years then win a cup.  How about, give it your best, leave it out on the ice, and we'll try get better.

As for this year, I don't think we'll finish last, and if we had remained healthy, I would have loved to challenge for the bubble.  That didn't happen, I don't see us catching up, and I don't mind.  Watch every game, love how they try, wish we had a superstar....It'll come. :) Just harder for us canucks than others.  But when we win, we won't be like the others, and can hold our heads high that we didn't try subvert the nature of the game like certain other franchises for a fast track :).  Its been 48 years, what's a few more at this point.

What we really need is a little luck this year in the lottery.

With Dahlin, Juolevi and Tryamkin on defense.  Boeser, Petterson, Lind, Horvat, Virtanen and Gaudette up front.  Demko in goal.  Maybe a SC will be ours in a few years????

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Still the conversation was that Elvis pointed out we had young players playing well at the start of the season, the team was playing well. We were playing a fast paced attacking style while limiting the twins minutes etc and winning games. Grit attempted to re-write history that only Boeser apparently was doing well. I pointed out that that was inaccurate.

Bingo.

Not only that the young players (at least two of which can easily be classified as stars) were playing well, but that we were reasonably healthy and playing well. It's not like anyone was guaranteeing we weren't going to be a bottom level team before the season, but considering how it started and that we've hung on while missing key players yet again with injuries no one is really saying we're destined to finish DFL.

My point is this thread is pretty much an answer to a question no one was asking.

4 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

And you pretty clearly ignored that stars plural means more than one. We've got two at least in Boeser and Horvat, so he correctly replied we had more than one player. Which you conveniently omitted when singling out Baertschi.

21 hours ago, riffraff said:

I totally agree on the three making up for sedins points but as I said I don't see either rookies on this team full time next year.

IMG_2301.JPG

This is not an NHL stature.

This is him standing next to Kole Lind, they don't look too dissimilar in build.

LuALOum.png

Archived