The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - VANCOUVER VS TAMPA BAY

Where'd Luongo?

6 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Bang on post. Benning is done at the end of the year IMO.

Perhaps sure he was instructed to stay competitive and needed to go against his better judgement to plug holes vs. tanking. If he is gone this early in the rebuild, I will lose what little respect I have for the owners.

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Looks like the honeymoon is over for Benning, although there are a lot of Benning loyalists on CDC.

When Benning was hired he announced two objectives -- to be a competitive (playoff?) team and develop young players.

The first has been an abysmal failure. Over the last 3 years (including this year) the Canucks have been maybe the worst team in the NHL overall -- certainly in the bottom 2 or 3. And that is despite spending to the cap and having Horvat in the system when Benning took over.

As for developing young players, obviously the Boeser pick was a big win. And there are some high potential players in the system (esp. Pettersson). But given the draft picks Benning had or could have had if he had traded for draft picks instead of trading them away, his performance in that area is no better than so-so.

Easy to say after a few games against  powerhouse Tampa team.  I still think we’ll finish off the year playing respectable hockey assuming we’re reasonably healthy.

Archived