The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tampa and Toronto interested in Chris Tanev, low offers so far

Rush17

8 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Canucks need to keep Tanev as he is by a great great distance our best D man and we are also not likely to get his value back in return (IE: he is not going to get a top 20 pick or equivalent young player due to him being a bit injury prone and not one of the most recognizable names in the league).

Are you kidding me? He could easily get a top 20 pick or equivalent. He is worth way more than that. He is worth at minimum a top 20 pick and a top prospect. He shouldn't be traded unless they get more than that or someone like Heiskanen out of Dallas. 

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Toronto is screwed.

Matthews out. 

JVR/Bozak could walk in off season.

Pens add Brassard.

Toronto giving up insane shots against.

What's next??? 

What's next? More stubbornnss by Lou. He is waiting for a sweetheart deal to shore up his D. No GM is going to do him any favours me thinks. 

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Tampa does have a lot of great prospects I'd love to take. Cal Foote, Boris Katchouk, Brett Howden, the list goes on. I'd love to snag Foote and Katchouk, born in Vancouver.

Agreed. Through Raddysh in there as well, it’s an embarrassment of riches in Tampa right now 

3 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Agreed. Through Raddysh in there as well, it’s an embarrassment of riches in Tampa right now 

They're in the perfect cycle of having good young roster players and a deep prospect pool. If they play things right they'll be able to flip their young roster players once their ELC's run out and continue to stockpile the prospect pool as their prospects continue to graduate to the NHL. There's no reason why they can't be a top team for the next 10 years.

That's where I hope the Canucks can get to in the next 5 or so years.

37 minutes ago, rekker said:

What's next? More stubbornnss by Lou. He is waiting for a sweetheart deal to shore up his D. No GM is going to do him any favours me thinks. 

If they stand Pat and have a first round exit I'm going to feel for their fans. Either add to your already own rentals via a d man or sell off JVR for a younger player who is in the NHL + a pick. Maybe Bozak stays.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They're in the perfect cycle of having good young roster players and a deep prospect pool. If they play things right they'll be able to flip their young roster players once their ELC's run out and continue to stockpile the prospect pool as their prospects continue to graduate to the NHL. There's no reason why they can't be a top team for the next 10 years.

Best managed team the last few years for sure.  

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Honestly I wasn’t sure what yzerman was thinking when he traded drouin for sergachev but he looks like a genius now. He might be the best gm in the league.

30 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

If they stand Pat and have a first round exit I'm going to feel for their fans. Either add to your already own rentals via a d man or sell off JVR for a younger player who is in the NHL + a pick. Maybe Bozak stays.

Their team isn't far off. They need to be careful not to waste too many kicks at the can. 

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Are you kidding me? He could easily get a top 20 pick or equivalent. He is worth way more than that. He is worth at minimum a top 20 pick and a top prospect. He shouldn't be traded unless they get more than that or someone like Heiskanen out of Dallas. 

I completely agree that he is worth that to Vancouver and we should not take anything less. I just have doubts about other teams offering that and would say keep him definitely if you dont get what he is worth. 

15 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I completely agree that he is worth that to Vancouver and we should not take anything less. I just have doubts about other teams offering that and would say keep him definitely if you dont get what he is worth. 

I agree other teams may not see his worth. I would hope a close look at his stats would sing his praises. I fear his injury history and complete lack of offence will prevent him from fetching what he should in a trade. 

On 2018-02-22 at 9:34 PM, rekker said:

Exactly. He fell at the draft for a reason. He isn't that good at D. I like Dermott. I would do Dermott, first, Leivo. 

Leaf fans loooooove Dermott. He was the topic of the morning water cooler discussions. Much like how we fell in love with Hutton after 20 games - Leafs nation would lose their minds if he got traded. 

I honestly don’t see a trade between the two teams that would work. The young players they have are either too valuable or not valuable enough. Kapanen, Carrick, Martin & a first for Tanev would be the closest. All pieces the Leafs can afford to give up to get better now. Martin is overpaid but we need a big physical forward (minimal value to the Canucks, negative value to the Leafs). Carrick is a contract dump. Kapanen has value as a young middle six player and a first helps with our rebuild.

32 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Leaf fans loooooove Dermott. He was the topic of the morning water cooler discussions. Much like how we fell in love with Hutton after 20 games - Leafs nation would lose their minds if he got traded. 

I honestly don’t see a trade between the two teams that would work. The young players they have are either too valuable or not valuable enough. Kapanen, Carrick, Martin & a first for Tanev would be the closest. All pieces the Leafs can afford to give up to get better now. Martin is overpaid but we need a big physical forward (minimal value to the Canucks, negative value to the Leafs). Carrick is a contract dump. Kapanen has value as a young middle six player and a first helps with our rebuild.

We're not taking scraps for Tanev. Those are scraps. 

They pay up or they don't get him. 

Liljegrin, Carrick and their 1st minimum

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree the Laughs need to pony up, but NO TO LITTLEGRIN.  

Maybe we should keep Tanev for our cup run next year. Remember that Oracle predicting a cup win this year or next.  She's been right several times before;!

I'm holding out for the cup next year. I am a believer!!

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

We're not taking scraps for Tanev. Those are scraps. 

They pay up or they don't get him. 

Liljegrin, Carrick and their 1st minimum

Most leafs fans I talk to wouldn’t want to give up Kapanen, but everyone I have talked to believes Liljegren is worth more than Tanev straight up. Even a buddy of mine who works for the NHL and is really close friends with Tanev texted him  saying he wouldn’t want the Leafs to trade Liljegren for him. 

That said they are way overrating Liljegren.

Leafs fans think Carrick, Leivo/Johnsson, and a first is already a lot to give up.

Canucks fans think Tanev is worth Liljegren/Dermott and a first.

Kapanen & a first (Carrick and Martin are scraps) would be the middle ground. Leafs fans would feel they gave up a bit too much, Canucks fans would feel they should have gotten more, but overall I think both parties could live with the trade.

That said, I don’t think a deal will happen. Tanev isn’t a free agent, so the Canucks don’t have to trade him.

1 hour ago, teepain said:

Tampa is our best trade partner for any defenceman , hutton tanev mdz 

With the big addition Pittsburgh made I would think Tampa is going to counter with their own big move. Problem is with Tanev being hurt & Edler not waiving I think the main target they have in mind is McDonaugh from NYR. Sounded like Yzerman shutdown the Karlsson trade this TDL with not wanting to subtract from his NHL roster and OTT likely wanting one of their young guys.

Maybe we can make a trade at the draft with Tampa regarding Tanev?

I understand all the worry about Tanev's injury history and the fact he's hurt more than likely preventing him from being moved. Having said that, there has been so much emphasis in the media about Tanev being hurt right now and there has been little to no mention of the fact that McDonagh hasn't played a game since Feb 7. He should be practicing soon and will be back before Tanman, but if there is a team looking to make a serious push for a long run I really don't see why somebody wouldn't take a serious run at Tanev if they miss out on RMcD. Ultimately, he may not be moved, but there still could be a surprise Monday. Maybe there will be a team that doesn't mind too much that Tanev will miss some games but ultimately be back for the postseason. Hopefully a contender or two look at the big picture, and not just the here and now. Hopefully the offers show that too.

Archived