The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tampa and Toronto interested in Chris Tanev, low offers so far

Rush17

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If I'm a fan of a team with a real chance to win a championship and assets to spare, I want my GM to go all in.

There are teams that can afford to pay the price, the only question is if they will.

I hope TB would want Tanev as their #1 target but I think they are set on finding someone else. EK being the top choice, then McDonaugh, Green, Hjalmarsson then maybe Tanev due to his injury.

3 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I hope TB would want Tanev as their #1 target but I think they are set on finding someone else. EK being the top choice, then McDonaugh, Green, Hjalmarsson then maybe Tanev due to his injury.

Karlsson will require them paying a ransom that I'm not sure Yzerman would be willing to pay. Plus he's already announced that he wants top dollar. not sure they can even afford to fit him under the cap.

Green will cost a fair amount too and is only a rental. The question is do the Bolts wanna pay alot just for a rental?

McDonaugh and Hjalmarsson would be good options, but will likely command just as much if not more than Tanev. There should also be a bidding war on hem which will only drive the value up. Tanev also has two years left at a good cap hit whereas these two only have one more year.

It all comes down to fit as well. Which guy fits into what they have the best, and what pieces do the Canucks want that they'd be willing to part with.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Karlsson will require them paying a ransom that I'm not sure Yzerman would be willing to pay. Plus he's already announced that he wants top dollar. not sure they can even afford to fit him under the cap.

Green will cost a fair amount too and is only a rental. The question is do the Bolts wanna pay alot just for a rental?

McDonaugh and Hjalmarsson would be good options, but will likely command just as much if not more than Tanev. There should also be a bidding war on hem which will only drive the value up. Tanev also has two years left at a good cap hit whereas these two only have one more year.

It all comes down to fit as well. Which guy fits into what they have the best, and what pieces do the Canucks want that they'd be willing to part with.

I agree with most points for sure. I think Hjalmarsson with his post season success and pedigree would be their best choice. I think it comes down to who they can get for the best price.

Out of McDonaugh Tanev and Hjalmarsson I think Arizona will take the least package making him the most logical.

Does TB want to acquire a PP QB like EK or Green or do they want a Shutdown RHD in Hjalmarsson or Tanev? McDonaugh is a hybrid type D.

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Negotiation tactic. Nothing more. 

If someone wants him, they'll need to pay up. Plain and simple. If they don't, we simply keep him and move him later. 

For sure

But at least teams are interested 

wouldnt mind if there were conditions on a pick, say a first if he plays 75% of conference playoffs games played

but definitely stiff on receiving a prospect of value in return

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's not like his leg snapped in half.  It's a fracture, with likely only a few weeks to heal.

It is rare teams make a big deadline acquisition for a player who is injured though. they could be worried that Tanev could get re injured also.

I personally think Tanev will be here for at least another year. If he is healthy next TDL his name likely gets mentioned.

25 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's not like his leg snapped in half.  It's a fracture, with likely only a few weeks to heal.

And, it’s part of the risk, acquiring someone at the deadline, anyone can get injured the first game they play for you. At least with Tanev, you know he’s safe from injury for the next 2 weeks! :P

16 minutes ago, Yotes said:

It is rare teams make a big deadline acquisition for a player who is injured though. they could be worried that Tanev could get re injured also.

I personally think Tanev will be here for at least another year. If he is healthy next TDL his name likely gets mentioned.

If Ryan McD gets dealt from the NYR.. do you think Tanev has a greater chance of being moved? Seems the teams out east are hard in on McD and Karlsson.

Tanev is kind of flying under the radar here. Maybe come tomorrow night or Monday morning talks get more serious.

34 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Hasn't seemed to stifle the McDonagh rumours though, and he's been out since Feb 7th.  He's also been out previously with abdominal and back injuries this year.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Your friends are wrong. 

Yes they are. Pens fans on the other hand are way more open to letting go of young talent and picks to get players who will help them win.

Toronto fans in general are pretty negative about the team they ice while overrating prospects. Some wanted to trade JVR and Bozak. Still in rebuild mentality. They don’t realize how Tanev is a massive piece to their puzzle. 

They have a lot of scoring depth (10 players with 30+ points), young guys, vets, size, physicality etc (not super physical but guys who can step up). Anderson is a solid goalie.

What they don’t have is a really good defensive defenseman who can shut down other teams top players.Reilly and Gardiner are good offensively. Apparently Carrick is their best defensive dman and right handed dman - and he barely gets into the lineup.

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

I said underrated across the league, and it’s true. People only notice the defensemen who get tons of points. In a cap world, Tanev is perfect for a rebuilding team or any team. He IS a top dman but because he doesn’t carry sexy offensive numbers, won’t hurt our cap that much. 

The guy is positionally near perfect. He rarely gets scored on because he knows where to be. It’s a Lidstrom type talent that is far and above better than the rest of our team. That’s why he is probably the only plus player. Even our beloved Brock is a minus player. 

Teams can’t rebuild properly if they trade all their talent for prospects. You need some core players and Tanev is still the right age and fit to help our team turn it around in the next couple of years. We have some strong talent coming up. We could either feed players like Demko to the wolves, or give us a chance to win games. Tanev helps us win.

I am not even making an argument about offense.  He doesn't hit, he doesn't clear a crease, he is average at shot blocking statistically speaking.  We are talking about a defensive defenseman who has a very very narrow skill set.  He is the master of retrieving dump ins and getting his stick in a shooting lane.  Is that wroth a 1st round pick and A prospect?  I mean come on.  The guy isn't worth the laces on Lidstrom's used skates.  I am not saying you play a team of 18 year olds.  What I am saying is that Tanev is terribly overrated so you sell high on him.  If a crap offer from a Leafs fan is a 1st round pick ++ then my God what are we even talking about?  How is the guy underrated?  Dan Hamhuis who has a career and a body of work that is substantially in excess of Tanev's couldn't net  a 2nd round pick.  Hanmhuis is still currently playing on a better team, healthy and putting up more minutes, more offensive, more physical play. 

We give too much credit to Tanev because he was undrafted and he doesn't posses a lot physical talent.  He is a Rudy of sorts.  He is overrated on here, and this bleeds across to the rest of the league because his analytics numbers are so good.  As Chayka and the Panthers who fired Gallant, my god, how that is going for them?  Analytics is an easy stat to game.  According to analytics Jake Virtanen is better than Horvat as he has better Corsi numbers this year.  I mean sure they are useful for some forms of evaluation, but they require a massive amount of context.

A player of Tanev's skill set is worth a late 1st round pick at the trade deadline to contending team.  No more no less.  If we can get a 1st ++++ then take it and run.  If the offer is less than that you are absolutely right why bother?  You don't have to make a trade and there is no reason to blow anything up.  My guess that an offer of a 1st + B prospect is already on the table.  I hope that Jim doesn't let it pass by.

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

A player of Tanev's skill set is worth a late 1st round pick at the trade deadline to contending team.  No more no less.  

On average, 63% of first round picks have a career in the NHL. You're telling me that a defenseman who can play top line minutes, is still relatively young, and has a reasonable, cap-friendly salary is only worth a late first round pick? I guess we'll agree to disagree. But I do know that if Toronto gets their hands on him, I fear they would have a chance to go all the way, and if that happens, I will never forgive Jim Benning. If Tanev gets traded, he better not go to Toronto. Because THEN we will hear exactly how good Chris Tanev is, and be reminded about it every other day on TSN, Sportsnet and CBC.

41 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

If Tanev goes to Tampa a prospect I’d like to see Benning target is Somppi. He’s definitely lower on their prospects list then some of the other guys people keep putting in proposals. Tanev-2018 1rst, Somppi and a 2019 2nd sounds like a pretty nice package to me. 

If we move Tanev I think it is a must we get a solid top end RHD prospect back. Canucks could add a player to the deal as well to get us a better prospect or pick

Something like Foote, Cervelli 2019 2nd would be a package I would like us to get.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The quiet before the storm. The suspense builds!

I dont expect much from Benning this TDL. Hopefully he moves Vanek & 1 D man at minimum. Or tries for a bigger deal but I don't think he has the guts like other GM's in the league do. Teams like OTT & NYR who have recently been in the playoffs have traded good players some still in their prime while a bottom feeder like us sits pat watching 3rd round picks be handed out to fringe nhl players

Archived