The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Thomas Vanek to Blue Jackets for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

3 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Can't tell from his tone if he's trying to throw shade at other NHL gms or GMJB

Obviously he wanted a draft pick... pretty happy for Vanek always liked him as a player and this should help him land a contract in the summer. Happy we had him this year happy he helped Boeser and wish we coulda got what we deserved for him but what can you do

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Obviously he wanted a draft pick... pretty happy for Vanek always liked him as a player and this should help him land a contract in the summer. Happy we had him this year happy he helped Boeser and wish we coulda got what we deserved for him but what can you do

Clowns like Veillette do nothing but live in the past to justify their present negativity. These bugs are pathetic. 

I miss Vanek.  I hope the Canucks are able to get him back for next season, but if he keeps playing like this, I wouldn’t be surprised to see league wide interest increase and him able to get a two year ntc in the 3-4M range.  

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

This is complete BS for the record I don't completely blame Jim Benning for this since the trade market and other GMs had Vanek's value pretty low. And why? Only because he lacked "intangibles" I'm sorry but that's just stupid. Points are points and you need them to score goals and win games. 

So yeah screw CBJ for not even giving up a pick and screw all the other GMs hiding behind the word "intangibles" for their anti europan bias. 

Fine if they want to build their team around players based on intangibles and not skill or production why don't they build their team around 18 Erik Gudbransons. 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

This is complete BS for the record I don't completely blame Jim Benning for this since the trade market and other GMs had Vanek's value pretty low. And why? Only because he lacked "intangibles" I'm sorry but that's just stupid. Points are points and you need them to score goals and win games. 

So yeah screw CBJ for not even giving up a pick and screw all the other GMs hiding behind the word "intangibles" for their anti europan bias. 

Fine if they want to build their team around players based on intangibles and not skill or production why don't they build their team around 18 Erik Gudbransons. 

Except, Vanek has a long history of disappearing (if you can call 34 points in 63 playoff games that) in the playoffs. Other teams have given high draft picks in the past. GM's are now more shrewd. Look at the relatively low cost of Kane, and McDonagh at the deadline this year.

Teams just aren't giving up the store at the trade deadline. 

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Except, Vanek has a long history of disappearing (if you can call 34 points in 63 playoff games that) in the playoffs. Other teams have given high draft picks in the past. GM's are now more shrewd. Look at the relatively low cost of Kane, and McDonagh at the deadline this year.

Teams just aren't giving up the store at the trade deadline. 

Still it's all equal. How many Playoff runs has Nash had as a Blue Jacket? How many Playoff runs has Evander Kane had?

As for disappearing Vanek has 13 pts and is a +12 on a team was fighting for a playoff spot before the TDL. I'd say the situation is pretty high pressure

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

It's inexcusable for a team in transition to have just 6 picks coming out of the deadline.  

What was offered for Vanek was....what was offered. There is only so much a GM can do to sweeten the pot. If the other GM doesn't want to give up a pick, there's not a hell of a lot that can be done.

44 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Still it's all equal. How many Playoff runs has Nash had as a Blue Jacket? How many Playoff runs has Evander Kane had?

As for disappearing Vanek has 13 pts and is a +12 on a team was fighting for a playoff spot before the TDL. I'd say the situation is pretty high pressure

I hear you. I partly blame media. If Vanek was in Toronto he would of had his tires pumped thus inflating his value.....see Kaberle pump job and two seconds for Polak. 

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Yes, I get it,  but we do have players other than Vanek.

True. I would have liked to have seen Baertschi and Hutton traded, but alas it didn't happen. This offseason though.....I can see some serious deconstruction and rebuilding.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

True. I would have liked to have seen Baertschi and Hutton traded, but alas it didn't happen. This offseason though.....I can see some serious deconstruction and rebuilding.

No, it should have all been done by now.  Three years ago in fact, if it were a #properrebuild.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Yes, I get it,  but we do have players other than Vanek.

Not really. Tanev maybe. We didn't have UFA's like Kane, Nash, Grabner. We don't have  McDonough. Edler has a NTC. Sutter would be tough to fit under the cap for any team anyways. Sedins? Ya right. Who are these valuable sought after players teams would trip over themselves to get?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ya maybe Baer. But maybe you get a second? 

Meh. Rather keep him and see if we can improve his value. Hutton sure I would of traded him for a fourth or more in a heartbeat. 

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Sutter, Hutton, Del Zotto, Tanev, Gudbranson should of been propped up and shopped, man I don't know but we gotta start getting creative here.  Take back a contract or something(which I guess we did but still ended up getting nothing for even doing that)

Yeah you're right about not having UFA's to deal, because Benning seems to be missing the boat when it comes to signing players who we can then quickly flip for more assets.  

Doesn't make sense to trade Sutter or Hutton, Tanev is injury prone and his value is probably at an all time low. And Gudbranson was just re-signed. I can see Hutton or Tanev maybe, maybe getting traded at the draft but other than that, just can't see us moving anyone. 

Archived