The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Thomas Vanek to Blue Jackets for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree. Which makes it a weird trade for the Jackets. They could of buried him in the minors for another year. Either JB did a heck of a sell job or Motte fell out of favour with Torts. Old school Torts. Lol. 

I think it was more the case that the Bluejackets were urging to make the playoffs - willing to make a shorter term move (particularly with their strong base of youth) and needed some veteran secondary scoring more than a young shutdown forward (they have guys like Dubinsky, Jenner, Sedlak, Calvert, Hannikainen and added another veteran in Letestu who can all handle hard/matchup minutes ) - to me that looks like a deadline correction to try to get more veteran balance and scoring in their lineup to try to make the playoffs.  It looks like it may work out for them - but I'm glad there was a fit that made sense for both sides - I don't think Vanek - despite his upside - is the easiest sell to contenders/playoff teams that tend to be fairly talented in their top 6 groups.

They seem to have moved Vanek up to playing with Wennberg (and Jenner), that looks like a good fit.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think it was more the case that the Bluejackets were urging to make the playoffs - willing to make a shorter term move (particularly with their strong base of youth) and needed some veteran secondary scoring more than a young shutdown forward (they have guys like Dubinsky, Jenner, Sedlak, Calvert, Hannikainen and added another veteran in Letestu who can all handle hard/matchup minutes ) - to me that looks like a deadline correction to try to get more veteran balance and scoring in their lineup to try to make the playoffs.  It looks like it may work out for them - but I'm glad there was a fit that made sense for both sides - I don't think Vanek - despite his upside - is the easiest sell to contenders/playoff teams that tend to be fairly talented in their top 6 groups.

They seem to have moved Vanek up to playing with Wennberg (and Jenner), that looks like a good fit.

Agree on Vanek a tough sell. I'm guessing JB worked the phones like an 80's junk bonds broker for that sell. 

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Agree on Vanek a tough sell. I'm guessing JB worked the phones like an 80's junk bonds broker for that sell. 

That  may be - but kudos to the CBJ - whoever crafted that trade looks like they found a good fit both ways.

The CBJ lineup imo looks pretty damn good with their deadline additions:

Panarin Dubois Akinson

Vanek Wennberg Jenner

Milano Foligno Bjorkstrand

Calvert Dubinsky Letestu

They may be young in their top 6 C - and their 3rd line has a pair of young wingers as well - but the secondary scoring they can get from the Vanek, Wennberg, Jenner line could really teak some pressure of their top unit and their young third line wingers (essentially a secondary scoring 3rd line as well) - while their 4th line becomes a very solid veteran matchup line with Dubinsky, Calvert and the addition of Letestu.(whom they dealt another prospect / young NHL ready forward - 24 yr old Pontus Aberg - to acquire).  Withall the talent they have, some solid veterans, the young blueline they have, and good goaltending, it probably made sense to make haste - and maybe an element of financial interests in some postseason revenue in a small market as well.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That  may be - but kudos to the CBJ - whoever crafted that trade looks like they found a good fit both ways.

The CBJ lineup imo looks pretty damn good with their deadline additions:

Panarin Dubois Akinson

Vanek Wennberg Jenner

Milano Foligno Bjorkstrand

Calvert Dubinsky Letestu

They may be young in their top 6 C - and their 3rd line has a pair of young wingers as well - but the secondary scoring they can get from the Vanek, Wennberg, Jenner line could really teak some pressure of their top unit and their young third line wingers (essentially a secondary scoring 3rd line as well) - while their 4th line becomes a very solid veteran matchup line with Dubinsky, Calvert and the addition of Letestu.(whom they dealt another prospect / young NHL ready forward - 24 yr old Pontus Aberg - to acquire).  Withall the talent they have, some solid veterans, the young blueline they have, and good goaltending, it probably made sense to make haste - and maybe an element of financial interests in some postseason revenue in a small market as well.

Yes. Another example of it takes time to rebuild properly? Time to gain assets. Time to cultivate and grow prospects to allow for trades to fill in weaknesses? IE. Johanson for Jones. Doesn't happen overnight people. Enjoy the ride along the way. It's not as doom and gloom as you may think. 

On 3/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, oldnews said:

Vanek with 2 goals and 3pts in his last two games - and is +4 in his last three.

His ozone starts have also jumped to 59% overall (after 6 games, whereas they were at 40% his first 3)  - so Torts has clearly tilted the ice entirely and is using Vanek to his strengths recently.

Nice to see.  Columbus also with 4 straight wins, are back in a playoff spot.

I hope Vanek tears it up for them and they go on a nice playoff run.

I really appreciate what he brought to the team this year - and what he brought the team at the deadline (Motte).  Wasn't a huge fan of his public comments about re-signing being dependent on the Sedins, and wanting a NMC (don't think that necessarily helps when stated publicly) - but whatever, it's water under the bridge.

He turned out to be a great signing for this team - I'm glad Columbus stepped up with a solid offer at the deadline - hope his offseason works out as well and he finds some stability for his family.

Wait what? When was this?

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Cute, we payed back Columbus for the Torts pick they had to surrender.  We took two assets they didn't want anymore and gave them a player who is now in there top 6?  Cool 

Would you rather have kept Vanek? I can't help  but think you'd have been whining endlessly if JB hadn't dealt him.

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Cute, we payed back Columbus for the Torts pick they had to surrender.  We took two assets they didn't want anymore and gave them a player who is now in there top 6?  Cool 

I seem to remember hanging on to Hamhuis went over very well here... :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Thanks for that?  I'm not allowed to voice my displeasure?

We got hosed in another deal, we are the only team that takes other teams unwanted assets and get little to nothing back in return.  I'm not talking about holding on to Vanek I'm talking about JB needing to pull up his negotiating socks and get what this team actually needs, draft picks.  

Nobody was willing to give up draft picks. The Canucks received one offer on Vanek. 

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yep maybe, or maybe that wasn't the case, maybe JB needs to be more stern when it comes to negotiations.  You can't just believe everything you hear that comes out of a press conference or interview.  "Draft picks are like gold" yeah well we saw a boat load of draft picks get moved at the deadline including three for Tomas friggin Tatar.  

Two unwanted assets for Vanek and you're telling me JB couldn't of squeezed out a draft pick in the deal?  That's garbage

What kind of leverage would he have had to strong-arm them like that?

13 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Umm the fact that we took one of their expiring contracts off their hands which HELPED them fit in more valuable players on their roster.  When was the last time a team took somebody's problem, gave them a solid depth player who can actually score a goal and make a good play every once in awhile and didn't get a draft pick in return?

Columbus were sitting at 49/50 contracts. Understandable that they were not willing to take another one to reach the total limit, which would have happened had they just sent a draft pick back. Noone forced JB to take it (but the public and the media), but he did. Obviously he likes Motte.

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I love how I get called out for whining during the season like I'm just causing crap for no reason.  Another disappointing season filled with garbage aging vets and little youth breaking through at the pro level.  Hmm how can anybody display displeasure during all of this?  I'm just completely off base all the time aren't I?  

I don't perceive you as whining personally; however, I do think perhaps you may be a little too focused on draft picks?

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and neither do you. Is there the chance that Benning's not as good at negotiating when it comes to picks? Sure, but that doesn't mean that's the case either because we simply don't know. Personally, I think if you want to assume he can't negotiate, then that's your opinion as well as being your ulcer and not mine. Humans by nature are negative and so I can see why one would head that route; however, if you automatically look for the negative in stuff, where does that really get you in the end? It's not even about who's right and who's not in cases like this as it's stuff we don't know and if you think you're more right than someone else then you are outright lying to yourself. It's just about who's positive and negative in situations like this.

Markets fluctuate. Clearly Nash was more desired than Vanek. Clearly Vanek wasn't as worth as much this time as last year. It makes sense though: he's a year older than last year and this year's trade deadline wasn't exactly exciting in general, indicating there might not have been a big market in the first place. There's also only so many picks that can go around.

Like you, I would have loved to see a draft pick; however, I don't expect it. I guess I just don't see the point in expecting it.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Take Jokinen and a pick then, these fringe players aren't getting us anywhere.  We always end up getting squeezed for an extra pick but don't seem to do any squeezing of our own.  

Perhaps. Perhaps not. This is what I mean by my post earlier. This is all based on assumptions of things we simply don't know.

Don't get me wrong btw, I'm not defending Benning and I can see where the negativity can come from. There's just so many other factors though with trades that makes reacting to it not the... clearest way of thinking?....

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Yep maybe, or maybe that wasn't the case, maybe JB needs to be more stern when it comes to negotiations.  You can't just believe everything you hear that comes out of a press conference or interview.  "Draft picks are like gold" yeah well we saw a boat load of draft picks get moved at the deadline including three for Tomas friggin Tatar.  

Two unwanted assets for Vanek and you're telling me JB couldn't of squeezed out a draft pick in the deal?  That's garbage

You are putting way too much value on Vanek. The way the market went I am still shocked we got Motte. Very happy with the trade vs losing Vanek for nothing in the off season .

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I know what you're saying but I'm basing my opinion off history.  It continuously happens, we never bring in draft picks, in fact we get rid of more picks than we bring in.  How are  we supposed to rebuild when we are doing this?   We here things like "draft picks are like gold" but then we see a bunch of picks get moved a few weeks later, and if picks are like gold why are we not acquiring any?  I'm not completely naive to the point where I don't understand that things go on behind the scene's.  It's just more of the same, year after year.  Benning can easily save face by saying teams weren't willing to give up draft picks but it doesn't mean I have to believe it

Yeah I agree with you on ya getting squeezed for picks and We never end up getting more. I find it hard to believe that we couldn’t get atleast a 3rd or even a 4th for vanek

Archived