The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parallels to the Leipsic trade in Canucks history?

apollo

Which of the trades are more of a parallel to the alleged robbery of Brendan Leipsic?!   

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello CDC... I was just thinking about the Leipsic trade and trying to find a similar trade that the organization has made over the years... would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Personally I think Jim made his best trade since acquiring McCann, Big Game Bonino and Sbeezus all for just Kesler. Which should go down as one of the most underrated moves of all time considering Ryan only had a 2 or 3 team trade list.

First we have to gauge Brendan's value... Kid's got 6 points in 4 games since being acquired for Holm. He's been all over the ice and is a former 120 point guy for the Portland Winterhawks in just 68 games. As an 18 year old if I'm not mistaking... also coached by Travis I think.

Potential Parallels:

1. Markus Naslund for Stojanov

• 1996-Mar-20 Markus Naslund was traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Vancouver Canucks for Alek Stojanov

If this is the best parallel 10 years down the road, then we've really lucked out. I think it's possible... I'm not positive that Brendan will get his number retired like Markus... but I still think the sense or "Robbery" is still similar to the Leipsic / Holm trade.

image.png.a9a7bdb7a47dfd05bff1ae6e21c1f0e4.png

2. Cam Neely... this time we were on the other end of the trade and losing it. Perhaps 32 years... the hockey gods are paying us back?

• 1986-Jun-06 Cam Neely was traded from Vancouver Canucks with round 1 pick in the 1987 draft (Glen Wesley) to Boston Bruins for Barry Pederson

3. Ok so this one isn't a Canuck related one ... but it's related to the man that traded away the diminutive phenom Brendan LEIP-SICK!!!!!!

Martin Erat for Fillip Forsberg...

Could george McPhee have once away gifted another franchise a Forsberg? I think so.

4. Or could it be like a Hodgson / Kassian trade in which neither player did much positive for their team? Nope. Brendan is the real deal.

article_0178a3b7-73de-433d-912d-8066be4cBoth players also wear #9

5. Parallels to the Brendan Morrison trade even?

• 2000-Mar-14 Brendan "Too Freaking Clutch" Morrison... AKA the King of Over Time ... AKA super good looking... was traded from New Jersey Devils with Denis Pederson to Vancouver Canucks for Alexander Mogilny

Just felt this belonged here but not much of a parallel since it's a multi player deal.

SpryWetFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif

My vote goes to #1 or #3

EDIT: Due to incredibly high demand, a second poll question was added ;)

21 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hello CDC... I was just thinking about the Leipsic trade and trying to find a similar trade that the organization has made over the years... would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Personally I think Jim made his best trade since acquiring McCann, Big Game Bonino and Sbeezus all for just Kesler. Which should go down as one of the most underrated moves of all time considering Ryan only had a 2 or 3 team trade list.

First we have to gauge Brendan's value... Kid's got 6 points in 4 games since being acquired for Holm. He's been all over the ice and is a former 120 point guy for the Portland Winterhawks in just 68 games. As an 18 year old if I'm not mistaking... also coached by Travis I think.

Potential Parallels:

1. Markus Naslund for Stojanov

• 1996-Mar-20 Markus Naslund was traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Vancouver Canucks for Alek Stojanov

If this is the best parallel 10 years down the road, then we've really lucked out. I think it's possible... I'm not positive that Brendan will get his number retired like Markus... but I still think the sense or "Robbery" is still similar to the Leipsic / Holm trade.

image.png.a9a7bdb7a47dfd05bff1ae6e21c1f0e4.png

2. Cam Neely... this time we were on the other end of the trade and losing it. Perhaps 32 years... the hockey gods are paying us back?

• 1986-Jun-06 Cam Neely was traded from Vancouver Canucks with round 1 pick in the 1987 draft (Glen Wesley) to Boston Bruins for Barry Pederson

3. Ok so this one isn't a Canuck related one ... but it's related to the man that traded away the diminutive phenom Brendan LEIP-SICK!!!!!!

Martin Erat for Fillip Forsberg...

Could george McPhee have once away gifted another franchise a Forsberg? I think so.

4. Or could it be like a Hodgson / Kassian trade in which neither player did much positive for their team? Nope. Brendan is the real deal.

article_0178a3b7-73de-433d-912d-8066be4cBoth players also wear #9

5. Parallels to the Brendan Morrison trade even?

• 2000-Mar-14 Brendan "Too Freaking Clutch" Morrison... AKA the King of Over Time ... AKA super good looking... was traded from New Jersey Devils with Denis Pederson to Vancouver Canucks for Alexander Mogilny

Just felt this belonged here but not much of a parallel since it's a multi player deal.

SpryWetFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif

My vote goes to #1 or #3

It reminds me of this time in 2018 when Canucks and Knights swapped prospects that were both intriguing but not likely moving forward with respective teams.   

Interesting thread, Apollo. I was feeling deja vu the other day, & I flashed back to spring, '91, when good ol' Pat Quinn made the multi-player trade with StLoo(acquiring Ronning, Momesso, Dirk & Courtnall, wasn't it?)

It was late-season(another down, non-PO yr)..but there were reasons for optimism. We'd drafted Linden just a few yrs back & also had high hopes for Nedved.

The next fall, the team would storm outa' the gate, & a little-known Russian superstar would arrive in Nov. There was FINALLY true lift-off for a long moribund franchise.

I'm getting THAT vibe again. Next fall we might really start rolling...

Naslund is the most similar, in that we got a talented forward for a defenseman who isn't likely to play much in the NHL.

With that said, he's looked good but it's FAR too early to make any such comparisons.  In fact, I'd say there is a slim chance he will become a franchise player for us.

I'd be happy to be wrong.

25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

B-Mo wasn't clutch.  No one on the WCE was clutch which is why I hate when people bring this line up. 

Are u kidding? Mr Overtime... 

2003-2004 canucks were %100 cup Champs had the league not stole Todd Bertuzzi from us... 

WCE is arguably the best offensive line we ever had. They had very little back up. 

At their peak, they were gunning like the sedins and Burr in their MVP years

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Naslund is the most similar, in that we got a talented forward for a defenseman who isn't likely to play much in the NHL.

With that said, he's looked good but it's FAR too early to make any such comparisons.  In fact, I'd say there is a slim chance he will become a franchise player for us.

I'd be happy to be wrong.

I agree it's far too early and it's only 4 games. But I'm down on the team and wanted to bring up something positive! BELIEVE! 

Leipsic is honestly a steal. Solid solid... Solid acquisition. 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Leipsic is honestly a steal. Solid solid... Solid acquisition. 

So far, so good.  He didn't have a lot of opportunity on other teams, and he's getting it now. Even if he settles down to earth as a 3rd liner, we did quite well.

25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

B-Mo wasn't clutch.  No one on the WCE was clutch which is why I hate when people bring this line up. 

Gotta disagree. B-Mo was an overtime machine. Had the OT record with 9 goals until Daniel flew past him in Daniel's glory days.

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

It reminds me more of the Curt Fraser for Tony Tanti deal.

Interesting. A lot of folks didn't like that deal. Not being from that era, it makes it harder for me to evaluate, but it looked like a win to me.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting. A lot of folks didn't like that deal. Not being from that era, it makes it harder for me to evaluate, but it looked like a win to me.

It's not even that great of a parallel, but it's better than the deals the OP listed.

Unlike Holm, Fraser was established.  Tanti however, had talent that hadn't been realized at the NHL level yet but started filling the net after getting to Vancouver.  He was one of my favourite players back in those days.

40 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I think Dahlen/Burrows is most similar to Forsberg/Erat. 

A young swedish prospect for an aging vet.

Hope you're right!

I haven't seen Dahlen play yet... I really hope he makes the squad next season.

Imagine both Elias and Dahlen take the reigns from the Sedins after the twins re-sign for 2 years at 1 mill a year each (Aquaman makes $20million dollar donation to the Sedin Family Foundation as soon as Sedins retire at end of the 2 year deal... but this has to be kept under the table and not spoken of) ...

Canucks go on to win back to back cups in the Twins final year.... WOW

I think it's going to take more than 4 games to evaluate this or any trade. I love the way Leipsic plays, high skill, high motor puck hound. The only thing I don't like about his play is the way he keeps passing the puck to teammates who are covered, causing turnovers. Hopefully he can work that out of his game soon. But that is definitely not enough for me to want to reverse the trade at this point, not with 6 points in his first 4 games.

44 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

It reminds me more of the Curt Fraser for Tony Tanti deal.

What?  Fraser was a proven NHL star, and we got back a friggin’ softy.  Our team took a nose dive after that really bad trade.  We gave up Holm, not even a player really, for a little ball of fire!  

Archived