The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parallels to the Leipsic trade in Canucks history?

apollo

Which of the trades are more of a parallel to the alleged robbery of Brendan Leipsic?!   

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brian Bradley for Craig Coxe

Anyone remember Bradley.  Third rounder of the Calgary Flames.  He was in his early 20s when the Canucks got him.  Really shifty kid that put up 40+ points here a few times before he was traded to the leafs for the d man  Kurvers(?) i believe

for some reason when I see Lipper out there I think of Bradley. Both are about the same size.  Bradley would generate all sorts of chances but would fail to score more than 20 with the Canucks....i think his career really exploded after he left Vancouver...

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What?  Fraser was a proven NHL star, and we got back a friggin’ softy.  Our team took a nose dive after that really bad trade.  We gave up Holm, not even a player really, for a little ball of fire!  

It wasn't meant to be accurate.  It was meant more to highlight how the OP's options were, IMO, out to lunch.

Should I add a sub poll question?

What icon does Leipsic compare to best? with options... 

- Ghandi

- Gretzky

- Jordan ...

:lol:

Jokes aside, I think we have a star on our hands. Thank you Jimbo!!!!

22 minutes ago, apollo said:

Should I add a sub poll question?

What icon does Leipsic compare to best? with options... 

- Ghandi

- Gretzky

- Jordan ...

:lol:

Jokes aside, I think we have a star on our hands. Thank you Jimbo!!!!

Marty St. Louis with more sandpaper?  

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It reminds me of Jason King or Steve Kariya.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kingja01/gamelog/2004 Have a look at Kings 2004 Game log. He never had a stretch of 6 points in 4 games.

This kid is no Jason King or Steve Kariya...

Sure he might not be a Naslund... I do like to over exaggerate sometimes but he'll be an NHLer for a long time to come. I genuinely do think there's a small 25% chance that he does actually become a high octane offensive dynamite clocking in 60 points over a full season.

Benning got a steal.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Marty St. Louis with more sandpaper?  

Wow... you nailed it. End of that convo hahaha

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It reminds me of Jason King or Steve Kariya.

Yeah. He kind of reminds me of Robert Kron or Dixon Ward. Both drafted by Canucks. 3rd liner with a bit of spunk. Hopefully he stays consistent.

i thought hutton started out pretty well for this team as well

came almost out of no where in training camp that preseason

and had a very strong first season

and now ? .. . not so much

let's give this new toy some time to really settle in before comparing him to team legends

how about mid season next year we have this poll reposted ?

1 hour ago, apollo said:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kingja01/gamelog/2004 Have a look at Kings 2004 Game log. He never had a stretch of 6 points in 4 games.

This kid is no Jason King or Steve Kariya...

Sure he might not be a Naslund... I do like to over exaggerate sometimes but he'll be an NHLer for a long time to come. I genuinely do think there's a small 25% chance that he does actually become a high octane offensive dynamite clocking in 60 points over a full season.

Benning got a steal.

Wow... you nailed it. End of that convo hahaha

I wonder if Calgary fans realize they let St. Louis go for nothing, and he beat them in the Cup Final?  Hahaha!!!

Maybe Leipsic leads us past Vegas next season?

Its looking like a crazy steal of a trade.  But its only been 4 games.  I don't know what trade is comparable, honestly.  I do know that Greener told Benning to set his sights on this kid 3 years ago.  I trust his judgement.

I would compare his game to a young Cliff Ronning, with grit.  Perhaps a Theoren Fleury, if we are lucky.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Interesting thread, Apollo. I was feeling deja vu the other day, & I flashed back to spring, '91, when good ol' Pat Quinn made the multi-player trade with StLoo(acquiring Ronning, Momesso, Dirk & Courtnall, wasn't it?)

It was late-season(another down, non-PO yr)..but there were reasons for optimism. We'd drafted Linden just a few yrs back & also had high hopes for Nedved.

The next fall, the team would storm outa' the gate, & a little-known Russian superstar would arrive in Nov. There was FINALLY true lift-off for a long moribund franchise.

I'm getting THAT vibe again. Next fall we might really start rolling...

Hey, we made the playoffs the spring of 91.........lost in the 1st round to L.A. in 6 games.:mellow:

Smythe Division Semi-Finals: vs. (1) Los Angeles Kings[edit]

Los Angeles wins series 4-2

# Date Visitor Score Home OT Series
1 April 4 Vancouver 6 - 5 Los Angeles   1 - 0
2 April 6 Vancouver 2 – 3 Los Angeles OT 1 – 1
3 April 8 Los Angeles 1 – 2 Vancouver OT 2 – 1
4 April 10 Los Angeles 6 – 1 Vancouver   2 – 2
5 April 12 Vancouver 4 – 7 Los Angeles   2 – 3
6 April 14 Los Angeles 4 – 1 Vancouver   2 – 4

24 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Hey, we made the playoffs the spring of 91.........lost in the 1st round to L.A. in 6 games.:mellow:

Smythe Division Semi-Finals: vs. (1) Los Angeles Kings[edit]

Los Angeles wins series 4-2

# Date Visitor Score Home OT Series
1 April 4 Vancouver 6 - 5 Los Angeles   1 - 0
2 April 6 Vancouver 2 – 3 Los Angeles OT 1 – 1
3 April 8 Los Angeles 1 – 2 Vancouver OT 2 – 1
4 April 10 Los Angeles 6 – 1 Vancouver   2 – 2
5 April 12 Vancouver 4 – 7 Los Angeles   2 – 3
6 April 14 Los Angeles 4 – 1 Vancouver   2 – 4

Thanks for the correction, RB. Completely forgot that '91 series!

Archived