The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, Qwags said:

That felt like slaying a worm rather than a dragon.

You look at Chicago's line up and you can see hwy they are where they are: a bunch of no names. The future is very bleak there, terrible management of assets.

42 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I my experience, a lot of weights and heights are only updated every 2 or 3 years, which is kind of annoying. I'd guess Jake is around 215 or so as well. No way he is the 229lb slow and fat guy he was last year.

It is very annoying... I'm pretty sure players are weighed on a regular basis, and I am not suggesting they update it every time the players are weighed but they should update it at least once at the beginning of each season when the players come into training camp and get weighed.

40 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

This is now considered a big hit in today's NHL...sad. 

#NoHitLeague

The awareness around concussions has changed things and I would say it is a GREAT thing that this is a big hit given what we now know. And soon this will be an illegal hit! We have to protect the players. Even Don Cherry agrees on that.

I enjoyed that game and saw some things that I liked.

I liked Greens line choices, starting with Horvat between Goldy and Virt. Kind of an old school line with a big rugged winger and a small shifty winger .

Playing with Horvat, both Goldy and  Virt can do what they do best, 

Likewise Sutter and Jussi offset Liepsics lack of size while Liepsic adds some offense to the line.

I liked Edler.

Motte and Archie do not lose offense when paired with Dowd.

Even after Liepsic was injured there was no major line shuffle, Sutter went back to his older linemates of Archie and Motte, but no wholesale changes.

Nice to see Pouliot step up.

Over all a thumbs Up to Green and his team

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Tonight was a reversal of sorts for Vancouver.   Over the past three months they could have won at least 10 more games than they did but had mediocre goaltending and crap bounces.   Those 10 wins would have them in a crap position (like Calgary) in terms of the draft and still out of the playoffs so in many ways, not having had those wins is a blessing for the future but you cannot outshoot (many nights) and outhit (most nights) teams consistently and lose all of the games.    

I appreciate that this is a positive post. An anti-indictment of how we have been playing. 

I grew up in Winnipeg. I can assure you, I watched lots of games where the Jets outshot, out hit and out hustled the Oilers. They would flick a switch? Or goad Babych into a fight. And voila, Kurri, Coffee, Gretz & the boyz had free reign. Could make a snoozefest for them a 4 - 7 game for the home team. At the drop of a hat... 

It still takes talent to score against NHL D. Without Brock & Vanek, Baer, we just don't have enough on the ice. And athleticism. The Twins still have talent, but are two steps slower than most of the checking lines they face.

Well?  I suppose you did say lose ALL the games...  :P

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I appreciate that this is a positive post. An anti-indictment of how we have been playing. 

I grew up in Winnipeg. I can assure you, I watched lots of games where the Jets outshot, out hit and out hustled the Oilers. They would flick a switch? Or goad Babych into a fight. And voila, Kurri, Coffee, Gretz & the boyz had free reign. Could make a snoozefest for them a 4 - 7 game for the home team. At the drop of a hat... 

It still takes talent to score against NHL D. Without Brock & Vanek, Baer, we just don't have enough on the ice. And athleticism. The Twins still have talent, but are two steps slower than most of the checking lines they face.

Well?  I suppose you did say lose ALL the games...  :P

I agree entirely but also they had NO bounces for nearly two months.   Pucks bouncing over sticks, posts, missed wide open nets etc. etc...same that happened to Hawks last night.   Sure missing Boeser, Baer etc. isn't helping but stretches of simply not getting bounces happens.

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree entirely but also they had NO bounces for nearly two months.   Pucks bouncing over sticks, posts, missed wide open nets etc. etc...same that happened to Hawks last night.   Sure missing Boeser, Baer etc. isn't helping but stretches of simply not getting bounces happens.

Like Hanks goal where the puck bounced right onto his stick for a change.

30 minutes ago, lmm said:

I liked Greens line choices, starting with Horvat between Goldy and Virt. Kind of an old school line with a big rugged winger and a small shifty winger .

Plus one!

Also, no better way to get young guys going, than playing with the teams hardest working (and best) player!

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I thought Boeser was injured?B)

Let me get away with that statement? In the context factors like leadership, two way play, pivotal role as top scoring C, pivotal role as a matchup C as well...  

Most important in a lot of regards anyways...

Your point is of course fair! 

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Let me get away with that statement? In the context factors like leadership, two way play, pivotal role as top scoring C, pivotal role as a matchup C as well...  

Most important in a lot of regards anyways...

Your point is of course fair! 

I was just messin' with ya.   Horvat, Boeser, EP, OJ, Demko, Virtanen, Stecher and their top pick(s) this year and potentially Gaudette, Lind, Gadjo, Goldy, Leipsic - some very nice young pieces on this team.

Well, that was fun.

Side note, who would have thought at the start, aside from our lovable homer @apollo I'm sure, that the Canucks would have swept both the Hawks and the Pens this year.  Not many great things to appreciate this year aside from Boeser, so there was some joy to hear we swept the Hawks with the win last night.

2 hours ago, coastal1 said:

You look at Chicago's line up and you can see hwy they are where they are: a bunch of no names. The future is very bleak there, terrible management of assets.

I'm not defending the Hawks, but they've got injury issues as well. They are going to be up against it though, with cap issues. Some of those no names looked not to bad last night, except their D.

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I'm not defending the Hawks, but they've got injury issues as well. They are going to be up against it though, with cap issues. Some of those no names looked not to bad last night, except their D.

Their current core, who are now clearly overpaid, won 3 Cups.  

Archived