The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

I was lucky to be at the game on Thursday. Its something I will never forget. The crowd cheering everytime they jumped the boards, many Hall of fame chants. Danny's 2 goals and the place erupting after the OT winner. Even in their final games these guys show up and perform for us like they always have. So many memories. 

As a fan I haven't seen a Canucks team without the Twins, it will be something different next year. You can't replace their leadership I think this team is really going to miss them next year.

I know I'm going to miss them. Thanks for the memories Sedins! 

I live in Toronto. I started watching hockey in Grade 10, which happened to be the 2010-2011 season. I decided to watch a random game to start my foray into hockey, and settled on the Canucks game that day. That day, the Sedins converted me into a lifelong Canucks fan. They were magical, and showed me a beauty to hockey that I had never seen before. But it was beyond that. The more I learned about the Sedins, the more I idolized them. The last 8 years of my life the Sedins have been two of my role models - they  helped me become the person I am today. 

My only regret is that I was never able to see them live. My family isn't into hockey, and as a student I could never afford to go to Leafs-Canucks games. But I am so glad for every moment they gave me as a fan. Maybe when the Sedins decide to play in the Canucks alumni game I'll make my way down to Vancouver to see them. ^_^

I'm extremely happy that they will have a chance to be with their families now, because for the last 20 years they gave up their lives to be part of ours. 

Looking to the future, I believe that the Sedins would have played another year or two if they had felt like the team did not have the leaders to replace them. Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Leipsic were all great this year and hopefully Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Juolevi and this year's draft pick will have similar success. I can't wait to follow this team into the upcoming seasons, and I know the Sedins imprint is always going to be a part of this franchise.

Thank you, Sedins. For everything.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

its just starting to sink in. 
Goosebumps. Heartbroken. But happy for these 2 they got to go out under perfect circumstances in their last week and can now focus on kids. 
They are certified legends and certain Hall of Famers. We were so lucky to have them for 17 yrs....i think its really sinking in for even the haters.

Unreal that they only played for Vancouver and loved this team and city that much.
They need to be treated like absolute gold for the rest of their time here.  When u see the Sedins in public. Thank them and then leave them alone.
Gregor and Horgan should take a day of building bike lanes and crushing businesses and do a ceremony honouring these 2 Twins.
Keys to the City and Province.
I really hope these 2 take jobs with the organization as soon as possible.

I don't think I'm fully going to believe it until the beginning of the season next year. Sedins on the Canucks has been the way I've watched the team since I started watching Canucks hockey. It's surreal that this is the end of their careers.

Although, they did say they'll be around next year during the beginning of the season at least. It's going to be huge to have them here with guys like Pettersson coming here. I look forward to watch the future holds!

I hope I get it together.  Been an emotional week....Thursday it became clear I needed to abandon any hope of keeping it together and just roll with it. 

Game day went down like this:

Listened to gd talk on the drive in to work.  Cried.
Got to work, had to remind my boss to set the bar low.
Made it through the morning (barely)....lunch time, off to Subway for a sandwich.
Got there, realized I'd lost my wallet.  (had actually left it at home)
While I was on that lunch trip, lost my keys (left them at the post office)
Made it through the rest of the workday somewhat unscathed.
REGROUPED, OFF TO MY SON'S TO GO TO THE GAME WITH HIM

Arrived an hour early, just to be safe
We went up to his apartment for him to set his PVR, etc.  Then, on our way.
"Wait, lost my camera"....fobbed back in, down to the parking garage....whew, it's in the car.
ON OUR WAY

Nope, wait....lost my purse.
Fob back in, upstairs....there it is.
ON OUR WAY

Get to the game....son goes off to get food.....I get seated.  In the wrong section/seat.  Realized after a few minutes, when he didn't show up.  Said goodbye to new friends in wrong section and made my way to my real seat.
Ten minutes in...realized I'd left my favourite umbrella (Dad gave it to me) at my fake news seat.  Back to reunite with old friends.
Viking clap, cowbell flew off...lost.
Someone retrieved it from their feet and gave it back to me.

As I asked my boss to do, set the bar low this week for me.  While it's really been a joyous celebration, it's also very emotional and obviously has taken a toll.  Excuse me for sharing wrong info, etc.  I'll be fine, really I will (also got our work shutdown/permanent layoff papers this week).

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I hope I get it together.  Been an emotional week....Thursday it became clear I needed to abandon any hope of keeping it together and just roll with it. 

Game day went down like this:

Listened to gd talk on the drive in to work.  Cried.
Got to work, had to remind my boss to set the bar low.
Made it through the morning (barely)....lunch time, off to Subway for a sandwich.
Got there, realized I'd lost my wallet.  (had actually left it at home)
While I was on that lunch trip, lost my keys (left them at the post office)
Made it through the rest of the workday somewhat unscathed.
REGROUPED, OFF TO MY SON'S TO GO TO THE GAME WITH HIM

Arrived an hour early, just to be safe
We went up to his apartment for him to set his PVR, etc.  Then, on our way.
"Wait, lost my camera"....fobbed back in, down to the parking garage....whew, it's in the car.
ON OUR WAY

Nope, wait....lost my purse.
Fob back in, upstairs....there it is.
ON OUR WAY

Get to the game....son goes off to get food.....I get seated.  In the wrong section/seat.  Realized after a few minutes, when he didn't show up.  Said goodbye to new friends in wrong section and made my way to my real seat.
Ten minutes in...realized I'd left my favourite umbrella (Dad gave it to me) at my fake news seat.  Back to reunite with old friends.
Viking clap, cowbell flew off...lost.
Someone retrieved it from their feet and gave it back to me.

As I asked my boss to do, set the bar low this week for me.  While it's really been a joyous celebration, it's also very emotional and obviously has taken a toll.  Excuse me for sharing wrong info, etc.  I'll be fine, really I will (also got our work shutdown/permanent layoff papers this week).

I feel you Deb :(

It's been the hardest "hockey" related week of my life. 

Even in 2011, there was hope that it wasn't over. The Sedins glorious run wasn't over... But here we are in 2018 and it's over. 

Two of the greatest of all time. It's a shame how it all ended but there's truly nothing for them to be ashamed of. They truly are the most accomplished 1-2 punch in all sports. First ballot hall of famers. 

So proud of all they accomplished. 

:(

Man I gotta get off Cdc and get my mind of this. I get way to emotional and tear up reading and typing stuff like this 

Archived