The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

36 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Anyone know when the end-of-season interviews will happen, and if the Sedins will be there?  (I'm assuming they will)

Canucks end of season media availability takes place April 9th at 9:30 am at Rogers Arena starting with executive and followed by players.

Interview with Mike Gillis about the legacy of the Sedins on and off the ice, traveling to Sweden to meet/negotiate with the twins on the advice of Stan Smyl, their roles in the offensive system, the financial sacrifice they made, the decision to make Hank captain, and more ...

Anybody else think that the final straw for the decision was to divert the media and fan base from the stupid pressure to tank?

Since their announcement the tone of the entire city's response to the team has changed.  This gives the team (and especially the young guns) some breathing room in order to play their game (and maybe even some added incentive to play well) and instill a winning culture over the last few games.

My thinking is that this was the final decision made by two greats as to what was best for the team rather than for them.

I can't wait to see what the organization has planned for the Sedin's on opening night next year.

2 matching Cadillacs?

2 matching Harley's?

2 rocking chairs?

2 George Foreman BBQ grills?

We need to practice the Viking clap for them say Lumberman's Arch in June? Fin needs a big drum and a mic.

45 minutes ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

Anybody else think that the final straw for the decision was to divert the media and fan base from the stupid pressure to tank?

Since their announcement the tone of the entire city's response to the team has changed.  This gives the team (and especially the young guns) some breathing room in order to play their game (and maybe even some added incentive to play well) and instill a winning culture over the last few games.

My thinking is that this was the final decision made by two greats as to what was best for the team rather than for them.

I considered that and think that maybe, initially, yes.  But my guess is that it was a process over time and that once family factored in, it was a no brainer.  I'm sure they heard the squeals out there to get rid of them and, being team first, used that as part of the decision making process.  In knowing there are young players to make room and money for.  But, ultimately, they're two competitors and this was their team to decide upon.  

I truly believe the stuff about wanting to be at birthday parties and to do homework.  That missing all of that stuff is really tough and something we don't think about at this end.  When people gripe about how much they make, how do you put a price on this stuff?  On missing milestones with your family?

It was time.  They went out on top and in fine form....so proud of every aspect of what they did here for us.  They left this game just as they'd always played it, with class and integrity.

1 hour ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

it was a great experience for the young guys on so many levels.

They got to see the city ignited - as it was during their playoff runs.  No playoffs for the young guys - but a taste of the excitement regardless.

They got the opportunity to savour - and honour - those last experiences of playing with - and for - the Sedins.  The stretch run of wins - and comebacks - particularly the last night at home - was epic.  It looked like a growth spurt for the likes of Virtanen, Leipsic, Goldobin....

They got to audition - with a view to a new era - knowing a few more forward spots would be opening up opportunities for the young players to step up and into.

It all added up to a perfect storm - provided by the Sedins - that created so much incentive - and spirit - among the young players - to push through what were anything but dog-days of the season.  The Sedins turned all that on it's head - and with their usual magic - it was the utmost benefit to everyone, really.  Not surprising given Sedinery has always been defined by being cerebral / the utmost in thoughtfulness.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

it was a great experience for the young guys on so many levels.

They got to see the city ignited - as it was during their playoff runs.  No playoffs for the young guys - but a taste of the excitement regardless.

They got the opportunity to savour - and honour - those last experiences of playing with - and for - the Sedins.  The stretch run of wins - and comebacks - particularly the last night at home - was epic.  It looked like a growth spurt for the likes of Virtanen, Leipsic, Goldobin....

They got to audition - with a view to a new era - knowing a few more forward spots would be opening up opportunities for the young players to step up and into.

It all added up to a perfect storm - provided by the Sedins - that created so much incentive - and spirit - among the young players - to push through what were anything but dog-days of the season.  The Sedins turned all that on it's head - and with their usual magic - it was the utmost benefit to everyone, really.  Not surprising given Sedinery has always been defined by being cerebral / the utmost in thoughtfulness.

Agreed, and I'd like to believe it was a conscious decision on the part of the twins.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I can't wait to see what the organization has planned for the Sedin's on opening night next year.

2 matching Cadillacs?

2 matching Harley's?

2 rocking chairs?

2 George Foreman BBQ grills?

We need to practice the Viking clap for them say Lumberman's Arch in June? Fin needs a big drum and a mic.

s-l225.jpg

Enjoy retirement Henrik & Daniel, it has been a pleasure watching you in a Canucks uniform for almost 2 decades! Thank you for all that you did for the Canucks and the City of Vancouver. You are the best players this team has ever seen and by far the classiest (nothing against guys like Linden, Naslund, McLean, Smyl etc) and will be missed. Thank you for the incredible memories!

Okay. I managed to make it throughout this whole ordeal without full on crying, but this had me going. We've all seen the video of them giving the puck to Dorsett, but in this one you can actually see the guy crying. That's where I LOST IT. 

7 minutes ago, Brouhaha said:

Okay. I managed to make it throughout this whole ordeal without full on crying, but this had me going. We've all seen the video of them giving the puck to Dorsett, but in this one you can actually see the guy crying. That's where I LOST IT. 

Yep. Same spot.

7 minutes ago, Brouhaha said:

That was such an emotional moment for me too.

Archived