The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs to sign C Par Lindholm

Here’s a LINK to an article on Swedish free agents that includes a few good video clips on Lindholm.

Includes a rather funny part where the writer marvels at how big a “smaller player” like Lindholm looks while screening a goal (he mistakenly uses vitals that are around 4” shorter and 15lbs lighter than Lindholm actually is).

EDIT: Looks like PITB also got taken in by the Elite Prospects listing for height and weight:

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/report-canucks-interested-in-pär-lindholm-out-of-the-swedish-hockey-league-1.23282768

“Lindholm is on the smaller side at 5’11” and 187 lbs, but he tends to play bigger than his size”

Yup, Lindholm definitely plays bigger than 5’11” and 187 lbs.

Heck, it’s almost like he’s a 6’3” and 200 lbs player out there! 

(Probably because he’s actually 190cm and 90kg per SHL.se)

Here’s a link to scoring highlights for Lindholm:

https://www.skellefteaaik.se/lag/50e6-50e6DYeWM__skelleftea-aik/qQ9-ab86wJcqj__par-lindholm/media

You have to watch a 10 or 15 second ad for each video, but the quality is good on the highlights, and you can watch pretty much every goal he’s scored in the SHL.

EDIT: for assists I’d check out the “media” pages for Möller and Lindström. The videos show the scoring summaries for each goal, so it’s easy to pick out the ones where Lindholm figures in the scoring:

https://www.shl.se/lag/50e6-50e6DYeWM__skelleftea-aik/qQ9-5dd4IRa1k__oscar-moller/media

https://www.shl.se/lag/50e6-50e6DYeWM__skelleftea-aik/qQ9-a898u8ofT__joakim-lindstrom/media

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't know about that, but looks like he has a 'hard to play against' edge, something our forward group could use.

Doesn't have to be dirty - just physical.  Doesn't have to be big - just engaged.

If he can win draws and play at both ends of the ice he could be a good fit with a generally younger group.

Looks like a Tom Wilson type of hit... We need that...

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Okay if it's only a one year deal.  Still would rather see our young guys play.  Why not let Gaunce, or Cassels, or Granlund play center next season?  Let our young guys, who are going to actually be part of our next group get the experience. 

He's only 2 years older than Gaunce. 

He also seems a different type/style of player. There should always be room for good players.

Is that not the team Pettersson's team eliminated in the playoff finals.

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2018/2/9/16927912/predators-prospects-scouting-report-swedish-free-agents

31.JPG

Ottawa Citizen - Patrick Johnston.

Is Jim Benning set to spring for a Swedish free agent for the third in a row?

In 2016, it was Anton Rodin — who admittedly the Canucks still held rights to after his first go in North America fell flat on its face.

In 2017, it was Philip Holm — who Benning obviously liked but who Travis Green only dressed once and even then it was begrudgingly.

In 2018, could it be Par Lindholm?

According to Elliotte Friedman, the Canucks are one of several NHL teams interested in the 26-year-old forward, who scored 18 goals and added 29 assists in 49 games for Skelleftea of the Swedish Hockey League this year. He added six goals and five assists in 16 playoff game

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2018/2/9/16927912/predators-prospects-scouting-report-swedish-free-agents

31.JPG

Ottawa Citizen - Patrick Johnston.

Is Jim Benning set to spring for a Swedish free agent for the third in a row?

In 2016, it was Anton Rodin — who admittedly the Canucks still held rights to after his first go in North America fell flat on its face.

In 2017, it was Philip Holm — who Benning obviously liked but who Travis Green only dressed once and even then it was begrudgingly.

In 2018, could it be Par Lindholm?

According to Elliotte Friedman, the Canucks are one of several NHL teams interested in the 26-year-old forward, who scored 18 goals and added 29 assists in 49 games for Skelleftea of the Swedish Hockey League this year. He added six goals and five assists in 16 playoff game

Is there a history of success or failure for these older (26 and older) UFA's coming from the SEL?  I can think of Panarin coming from the KHL, and he's fabulous, but I can't think of any SEL (or any other Euro league) guys coming over here, and doing well, who are a bit older.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there a history of success or failure for these older (26 and older) UFA's coming from the SEL?  I can think of Panarin coming from the KHL, and he's fabulous, but I can't think of any SEL (or any other Euro league) guys coming over here, and doing well, who are a bit older.  

Yeah it seems older SHL players typically don't translate as good as some KHL stars. I know the KHL is a better league but you expect one every now and again one would become a star.  

SHL has produced some very useful older complimentary players.  But ya the KHL seems to be another level. This guy is big though by all accounts. That might help him in the NHL and the Pacific Division.  

Is Lindholm 5'11" or 6'2"  HockeyDB has him listed at 6'2" and Rick Dhaliwal has a quote from Lars Lindgren stating that Lindholm is a big centre.  I presume that Lindholm is actually 6'2" then...?

Whether Lindholm plays bigger than his size or is in fact a big, physical and skilled center, can't hurt to sign the guy.  It's just odd that there is such conflicting information about his size, ha ha.

13 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Vancouver canucks need to be renamed to  team sweden , cause soon we gonna have full roster of swedes rofl :( ya not a fan ...but w/e lol

yeah, well you're too small to be a real enforcer.

you mini-tough guys (from Saskatchewan) are ok, but real enforcers wouldn't fight you cause you're too wee.

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

I have concerns we sign guys like this, who only get us to mediocre.  I think that's what happened in WD's first season.  We signed a bunch of UFA's who got us to the playoffs, but we were really a facade.  

this is kind of silly thinking Alf.  whether he makes the team worse, better, or a marginal difference won't be known until it's known.

this is exactly the type of option/player the team needs to be looking at though - a center - that can play in behind the Horvat and Sutter lines.

surprised you'd prefer Bozak over this guy - that would seem to contradict your 'let the kids play' theory that you're otherwise suggesting.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

this is kind of silly thinking Alf.  whether he makes the team worse, better, or a marginal difference won't be known until it's known.

this is exactly the type of option/player the team needs to be looking at though - a center - that can play in behind the Horvat and Sutter lines.

surprised you'd prefer Bozak over this guy - that would seem to contradict your 'let the kids play' theory that you're otherwise suggesting.

That's a good point about, getting a mature (but not too old) center to play behind Bo and Sutter.  I just think a team in it's rebuilding phase, needs to stick to drafting and developing its own group before bringing in older guys, who might get us to mediocre.  That's what happened in WD's first year.  Then, when the older guys move on (or get even older) we go backwards, because we weren't giving our young guys proper chance to develop.  I think Boston played 9 rookies this season.  Young guys are better prepared to play now, I think.

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a good point about, getting a mature (but not too old) center to play behind Bo and Sutter.  I just think a team in it's rebuilding phase, needs to stick to drafting and developing its own group before bringing in older guys, who might get us to mediocre.  That's what happened in WD's first year.  Then, when the older guys move on (or get even older) we go backwards, because we weren't giving our young guys proper chance to develop.  I think Boston played 9 rookies this season.  Young guys are better prepared to play now, I think.

I think you're spinning off in an analogy and missing the context.

Draft and develop is irrelevent.  Of course you draft and develop.

But you look at your realistic roster for next season and ask yourself if you want to prematurely assume that a Pettersson or Gaudette can or should be playing center in the NHL at this stage of their careers.  Beyond them, you have Granlund, who I consider a good, realistic middle six center option - but that's three centers.   Gagner is not an option imo - he's a weak faecoff guy, and not particularly imposing in his down low (own zone) game either.   Gaunce imo has been an effective winger conversion - you can move him to center, but I'd prefer to keep him on Sutter's shutdown line for a couple reasons - one being his effectiveness there - he can skate, he's sizable enough and meshes well with a Sutter style of game, and he gives you that second natural center to take draws when Sutter is waived  and/or on his weak side (enables Sutter to remain aggressive).  You want to start with possession when your shutdown line is on the ice, in their own zone, against the opposition's best - so keep Gaunce there imo.

A guy like Lindholm could be ideal.  Bozak is likely to demand too much cap (and probably more term than you're comfortable with at his age and this stage) where we could have better centers emerging in a year or two and don't necessarily want to be committed to Bozak longer term.   Other depth centers - good veteran faceoff and shutdown guys - could be comparably low priced options - but Lindholm may actually have as good or better game - and a 3/4 punch of a couple good two way centers could actually make this team more dangerous.  I don't know enough about Lindholm's game without the puck to say whether he'd be a better fit than the existing NHL UFAs that are expiring, but there is absolutely no harm in finding out.

Last year this team signed a comparable late bloomer - Holm - and wound up with Brendan Leipsic as a result.  Anyone that argues with either stage of that move should probably rethink it.  Worst case scenario Lindholm becomes talented AHL depth.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think you're spinning off in an analogy and missing the context.

Draft and develop is irrelevent.  Of course you draft and develop.

But you look at your realistic roster for next season and ask yourself if you want to prematurely assume that a Pettersson or Gaudette can or should be playing center in the NHL at this stage of their careers.  Beyond them, you have Granlund, who I consider a good, realistic middle six center option - but that's three centers.   Gagner is not an option imo - he's a weak faecoff guy, and not particularly imposing in his down low (own zone) game either.   Gaunce imo has been an effective winger conversion - you can move him to center, but I'd prefer to keep him on Sutter's shutdown line for a couple reasons - one being his effectiveness there - he can skate, he's sizable enough and meshes well with a Sutter style of game, and he gives you that second natural center to take draws when Sutter is waived  and/or on his weak side.  You want to start with possession when your shutdown line is on the ice, in their own zone, against the opposition's best - so keep Gaunce there. 

A guy like Lindholm could be ideal.  Bozak is likely to demand too much cap (and probably more term than you're comfortable with at his age and this stage (where we could have better centers emerging in a year or two and don't necessarily want to be committed to Bozak longer term.   Other depth centers - good veteran faceoff and shutdown guys - could be comparably low priced options - but Lindholm may actually have better game - and a 3/4 punch of a couple good two way centers could actually make this team more dangerous.  I don't know enough about Lindholm's game without the puck to say whether he'd be a better fir than the existing NHL UFAs that are expiring, but there is absolutely no harm in finding out.

Last year this team signed a comparable late bloomer - Holm - and wound up with Brendan Leipsic as a result.  Anyone that argues with either stage of that move should probably rethink it.  Worst case scenario Lindholm becomes talented AHL depth.

You make good sense here ON.  Guys in their 30's, like Bozak, are what a rebuilt team that is tinkering brings in.  Guys like Par are what teams like us, who are still rebuilding, use as place holders until the youth are ready.  I get that.  

56 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

We so sure we can't get NHL quality vets in Free Agency we are stretching to 27 year old SHL players? I mean, they definitely know more than I do still pretty interesting. Cheaper option potentially.

Also, he's a Swede, 5'11, and weighs 187. Alf probably hates this. :sadno:

I don't think it's a case of being 'sure' we can't get NHL vets.

It's a free player that best case is a late bloomer, is cheap on both term and $ and fits in nicely at 2-3C and let's us bring Pettersson along slowly without having to overspend on an NHL UFA in term or $.

Or perhaps he's the C equivalent of Holm last year and allows us to ice a more competitive roster in Utica, gives us decent call up depth and can maybe be flipped at the TDL for another piece.

At worst, he's a free asset who doesn't make the team and like has an SHL out clause should he prove to not be good enough for either NHL/AHL (doubtful IMO).

Archived