The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs to sign C Par Lindholm

33 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not going to happen.

Considering he plays for the team that Vaxjo just spanked, no doubt he'd love to come in for a chance to centre Pettersson.

haha Im just trying to be open to the possibility that these guys may not make the jump right into the NHL without even a little seasoning in the AHL. Everyone you hear talk of Pettersson loves him but question whether he will be strong enough, so who knows. I do think Gaudette will make the starting roster and work his way up from there but if he doesn't then oh well.

Just trying to tame my excitement for these two and be open to the possibility they man not be ready just yet.

13 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

another Swede?...seems PÄR for the course. :P

It's hard judging SHL players coming over to the NHL. We have had mixed luck with them recently. Rodin had real potential, but couldn't put it all together with his injuries. Holm netted us a player who seemed to start carving himself out a roster spot on day one, so I consider that a win.  If we are able to sign him for a short term depth deal I don't see any harm in him as an option. Seems to have put up decent numbers overall, but I know very little about him. Could be a decent pick up, but I'm not PARticularly excited about him yet.

Heh, snuk it in at the end. 

1 hour ago, Captain Azzy said:

As for Cassels, he's never going to play an NHL game. He's an AHL lifer. So any guy who can score at nearly a PPG in Sweden is clearly going to have a better shot than him.

Well, just for arguments sake, the SEL MVP couldn't make it in the NHL so who's to say exactly has the better shot? 

2 hours ago, Roberts said:

at some point the Canucks are going to have to put Swedish flag patches on their jerseys with all these Swedish players

Pettersson in his draft interview said he was happy to go to Van because so many Swedes had success there and that gives him confidence.

I would prefer to be a place Swedes like playing rather than not.  

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Well, just for arguments sake, the SEL MVP couldn't make it in the NHL so who's to say exactly has the better shot? 

I assume you mean Anton Rodin? He played more NHL games and scored more points than Cassels ever will. Plus it's generally agreed-upon that he was badly utilised and treated whilst here.

Meanwhile, if Lindholm has even a 10% chance of being a solid NHLer, that's 10% more than Cassels does. And he's inevitably going to be better value than Bozak.

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha Im just trying to be open to the possibility that these guys may not make the jump right into the NHL without even a little seasoning in the AHL. Everyone you hear talk of Pettersson loves him but question whether he will be strong enough, so who knows. I do think Gaudette will make the starting roster and work his way up from there but if he doesn't then oh well.

Just trying to tame my excitement for these two and be open to the possibility they man not be ready just yet.

If weenies like Ehlers and other tinies like Bratt, Kerfoot, Arvidsson, etc. can make it then there's no issue.

What exactly would Pettersson have had to do to convince you that he's ready?  His stats blew away the aforementioned and he lead his team in the playoffs, which were far from being no-hitters.  This whole "not strong enough, send him to Utica" fable is silly.

Par Lindholm might be better offensively than Gaunce or Cassels, but how is he defensively? I don't think it's a fair comparison as they will likely play different roles. Gaunce, and Cassels if he improves his game, could be better suited on a 4th/checking line than Par would. The question I have is whether he is good enough to be in our top 6 or have the ability to play a 3rd line role and is it better than what we have. Kyle Wellwood is certainly more offensively gifted than than Gaunce, for example, but I would not want Wellwood in my bottom 6 (even with a more offensive 3rd line) and I much prefer Gaunce in that role (PKs well, big guy that doesn't shy from the physical play, has shown some decent offense in junior so some ability there).

As for Cassels, having injuries coming out of junior set him back. He has shown to have picked up his game, but it might not be enough at this point. Hopefully he agrees to an AHL deal (like Archibald) and sticks around a little longer so we can see if he is turning a corner. If Lindholm can be viewed as a late bloomer, perhaps Cassels could be one eventually? However, if he is looking for a NHL contract, then I'm afraid it might be too valuable to have that contract space for what he has shown so far.

With that said, I have no problem bringing Par over as competition is a good thing. Getting Leipsic for Holm was a good move (and Holm's production has dropped off since the trade), so if the competition overtakes Lindholm then perhaps he can be moved for something. The center depth in Utica has been lacking offensively, so worst case is that he bolsters them for a year if he chooses that is enough time in NA.

37 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Based on what I saw in his short stint, I don't think Gaudette will crack the opening roster unless he has a very impressive camp. He has the tools, but he could use at least a year in Utica with some call ups.

Pettersson has shown impressive skill. I could see him making the team right away, but if he doesn't, I don't think it'll harm him to play in Utica either. However, I can already see the outrage if he did start the year in Utica, but I'll trust management's decisions for his progression.

2 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

Because Gaunce and Cassels couldn't pot 10 goals if they centered Tarasenko and Kucherov?

How dare you offend Gaunce's offensive stardom. He was a foot away from a hat trick, I'll have you know. How many players can say they quintupled their carreer goals scored in one season? Not McDavid, not Matthews, not Crosby.

When you look at team canada they always have plenty of centers and it hasn't done them any harm.For a center to play wing is easier than a winger playing center.

More centers "yes please".

His record speaks for itself,no harm in checking him out (as long as he has no injuries).That Rodin EXPERIMENT hurt.

I can't see the harm with signing the guy.

At best, he provides the Canucks some depth at the NHL level and he may exceed the play of Gagner.

At worst, he presumably can be sent waiver free to Utica.  The Comets may be losing a bunch of Canucks players (e.g. Chaput, Megna, etc.) next season, even as they may be gaining prospects (e.g. Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, etc.), which means they'll still need depth and veterans in the AHL.  The Comets had too many veterans this year so I'm not sure how adding Lindholm might affect their roster decisions but if he's treated the same way that Holm was, then it might be fine since many of this year's veterans may not be returning.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Gaunce earned his spot already.  Plus, why give a roster spot to a 26 year old guy from Europe, who might only be a tiny bit better than Cassels?

Did he?

He seems like a great guy but surely there are better options at centre than him. I'd like to see him improve his skating, as well as be able to manage the puck on his stick. He was a scorer when he was drafted, but that offense didn't seem to translate.

I don't think we should write him off per se, but maybe give him more time to work on his game. I don't think putting him on the 4th line on the big team will help him.

20 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How dare you offend Gaunce's offensive stardom. He was a foot away from a hat trick, I'll have you know. How many players can say they quintupled their carreer goals scored in one season? Not McDavid, not Matthews, not Crosby.

Brock Boeser :ph34r:

41 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Based on what I saw in his short stint, I don't think Gaudette will crack the opening roster unless he has a very impressive camp. He has the tools, but he could use at least a year in Utica with some call ups.

Pettersson has shown impressive skill. I could see him making the team right away, but if he doesn't, I don't think it'll harm him to play in Utica either. However, I can already see the outrage if he did start the year in Utica, but I'll trust management's decisions for his progression.

Yeh I think your right. Gaudette looked a little uncomfortable playing his game.

Archived