The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Acording to Bob McKenzie ( Picks 5 through 8)

J.I.A.H.N

Who do the canucks pick at 7th OA...................(this is not who we want, but who will we pick, with who is available at #7)  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm hoping the top D guys all fall to us at 7, and then JB can pick the one he feels has the best upside/NHL future.  

Me too.  But the flip side is if four defenseman go before it's our turn then we will be left with a forward that could be too hard to pass on...it's possible, but unlikely.  OTT should pick a defensemen, but a winger would work for them too 

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Says the guy that says the Pittsburgh trade for Pouliot in exchange for Pedan was a win for them.

Get back to 'us' when that 4th round pick turns out to be a cornerstone player.

Pouliot is as close to being a waiver-wire pickup as the league has. I like the player and all, but I’d still not call that trade much of a win for JB.

Not that this was the point, was it. 

1 hour ago, EuroCanuck said:

I was 5'11 167 in grade 12 (17), at 20 I was 6'1 185, at 22 I was 6'2'' 195 - really is a person to person issue

Everyone is different for sure, but growth spurts past seventeen aren't that common.

48 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Pouliot is as close to being a waiver-wire pickup as the league has. I like the player and all, but I’d still not call that trade much of a win for JB.

Not sure on Pouliot in that he was a former CHL Dman of the year and therefore had a lot more "pedigree" than a WW pickup but there is a strong likelihood he was going to hit waivers at some point with the Pens so in that regard, you are correct.....just he was a good risk in that IF he got some of his talent focused (and for a few games, he showed signs) he could be a very effective puck moving guy who can put up points.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not sure on Pouliot in that he was a former CHL Dman of the year and therefore had a lot more "pedigree" than a WW pickup but there is a strong likelihood he was going to hit waivers at some point with the Pens so in that regard, you are correct.....just he was a good risk in that IF he got some of his talent focused (and for a few games, he showed signs) he could be a very effective puck moving guy who can put up points.

Pouliot, like Hutton, needs to commit to being a full time pro.  He’s not fit, and is (IMHAO) over weight.  

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed. Well put. 

Pedan was also a useful Dman who was given far, far less opportunity in Vancouver to show he could play. DP was pretty much gifted a roster spot, IMO. 

It was a trade I liked at the time, because I was a fan of Pouliot’s Jr career, but I wasn’t, and still am not, willing to go as far as praising JB for making a trade for a future WW player. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Pouliot, like Hutton, needs to commit to being a full time pro.  He’s not fit, and is (IMHAO) over weight.  

what is your hao based on?

Pouliot has always had a compact build.  If you're basing this on his weight (208) I think your imagination is forming your opinion.

Not sure what people expected   

Came in - was far more solid defensively than the reputation stories leaking out of Pittsburgh.

Scored 22 points as a rookie on a depleted blueline with a depleted forward group in front of him.  2nd highest scoring defenseman on this team.

Earned 18 minutes a night and clearly outperformed Hutton, earning his spot on the roster.

Is better than Pittsburgh's sixth man, ironically, imo.  Rhuwedel may fit their needs with Letang and Schultz there, but regardless, he was an excellent cost/risk acquisition.

Pouliot has had his career set back in a number of ways - not least of which were repeated early season training camp injuries that kept him from competing to earn a spot, on a veteran, win-now club with a strong pmd presence (again Letang and Schultz).

Rutherford's braincramp thinking Pedan was going to step in alongside Reaves and make them 'intimidating' was pretty optimistic - Pedan has a lot of good tools, but his lateral movement is not good enough to cut it in the NHL (imo).  In any event, this was the guy's first NHL season - some people have some odd assessments of that imo.

On ‎3‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, stawns said:

The upside to overstocking scoring fwds in the cupboard is that they are, imo, easier to project than dmen at 18 and if you have a surplus you can do a deal with a team for a dman who is already developing or far enough along you can be sure of how he will turn out.

Tell that to Shinkaruk, Gaumce (he's here & appreciated, but what 4 career goals draft plus 5 complete), Jensen, Hodgson was a positive pick, Patrick White?

The problem is people assume forwards are safer pick. 

You have to do the work. Scouts need to know who has NHL speed, endurance, puck skills, in tight & in open ice, plays at the competitive edge, vision, creativity, agility, strength.  Some results playing hockey? You also cannot just assume guys who score well in junior will be great pro's. Its more about the above skills. The higher up the draft you are, the more of that you have to have. In fact very high in the draft, these items should stand out as having an advantage for you most NHL players wont be able to guard or handle. Guys who are lacking in those areas, wont be the BPA. Size is a major bonus, but not replacement either. 

One of Bennings best attributes, is he has picked guys who stand out as being exceptionally competitive. Particularly outside the 1st round; Gaudette the shining example. Competitive guys play harder, have a role if they never become top scorers, their edge has them work harder on areas they can improve. It still holds true in the first round as well, see Horvat (although not JB's pick).  Guys who compete their ass off, are the most likely candidates to exceed expectations.

On ‎2‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, HOFsedins said:

IMHO I would take Wahlstrom with our pick. He will be the BPA at 7. I dont understand why people think we are fine with our group of forwards. Outside of Petterson, he is our only elite prospect that is a forward. Last time I checked, we were 26th in goals for last year. 

I understand this thinking. The goal scoring is valid.

But its worth mentioning we were dead least in scoring from defence. And the problem wont fix itself. Even Juolevi's profile / ceiling looks more like Elias Lindholm than Karlsson.

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just some notes of mine on Pouliot from another thread.

10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I'd move (or waive) Hutton before I ever put Pouliot on waivers.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There are parts of his game I admire but frankly I don't think he will stick here. There are just so many brainfarts it's like he can't concentrate and dials out.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Tell that to Shinkaruk, Gaumce (he's here & appreciated, but what 4 career goals draft plus 5 complete), Jensen, Hodgson was a positive pick, Patrick White?

You have to do the work. Scouts need to know who has NHL speed, endurance, puck skills, in tight & in open ice, plays at the competitive edge, vision, creativity, agility, strength.  Some results playing hockey? You also cannot just assume guys who score well in junior will be great pro's. Its more about the above skills. The higher up the draft you are, the more of that you have to have. In fact very high in the draft, these items should stand out as having an advantage for you most NHL players wont be able to guard or handle. Guys who are lacking in those areas, wont be the BPA. Size is a major bonus, but not replacement either. 

One of Bennings best attributes, is he has picked guys who stand out as being exceptionally competitive. Particularly outside the 1st round; Gaudette the shining example. Competitive guys play harder, have a role if they never become top scorers, their edge has them work harder on areas they can improve. It still holds true in the first round as well, see Horvat (although not JB's pick).  Guys who compete their ass off, are the most likely candidates to exceed expectations.

Lockwood, Palmu seem to fit what you are saying.

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

what is your hao based on?

Pouliot has always had a compact build.  If you're basing this on his weight (208) I think your imagination is forming your opinion.

Not sure what people expected   

Came in - was far more solid defensively than the reputation stories leaking out of Pittsburgh.

Scored 22 points as a rookie on a depleted blueline with a depleted forward group in front of him.  2nd highest scoring defenseman on this team.

Earned 18 minutes a night and clearly outperformed Hutton, earning his spot on the roster.

Is better than Pittsburgh's sixth man, ironically, imo.  Rhuwedel may fit their needs with Letang and Schultz there, but regardless, he was an excellent cost/risk acquisition.

Pouliot has had his career set back in a number of ways - not least of which were repeated early season training camp injuries that kept him from competing to earn a spot, on a veteran, win-now club with a strong pmd presence (again Letang and Schultz).

Rutherford's braincramp thinking Pedan was going to step in alongside Reaves and make them 'intimidating' was pretty optimistic - Pedan has a lot of good tools, but his lateral movement is not good enough to cut it in the NHL (imo).  In any event, this was the guy's first NHL season - some people have some odd assessments of that imo.

Was he? I don't think so. Also I would hate to play with him. He is adept at putting team mates in trouble.

I'm not saying he was not worth the risk and he is definitely night and day above Pedan but he is still a placeholder imo unless he sharpens his game up a lot.

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

All late first round guys, I said my preference for fwds was in the top 10.

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just some notes of mine on Pouliot from another thread.

As a WHL season ticket holder for 3 years while Portland was steamrolling the West, I saw plenty of Pouliot. I’m guessing 20+ games, including the playoffs. 

I also watched Jake and Shinkaruk, who were vaguely similar to their scouting reports and, IMO, were selfish, one-dimensional players who lacked intensity. 

My initial point was that Bob does not typically wow us with anything which we don’t already know. To this point, I was chastised for my stance on the Pedan trade for the cost of a future WW player (at the time). I like him during the WJHC and for his style and tenure, but that’s about it. He is a false Billy Idol -talking head most of the time. 

Many in here know I am a fan of Pouliot’s and have no issue with the player other than the Canucks seem to have one too many of players like him on the team. 

I could be wrong, but I think Hughes, Wahlstrom, and Bouchard are all going to be off the board by the time we pick.  That means we choose between Dobson, Boqvist, and Brady.  I'll be pulling for Dobson.  I would also love to see us either trade up to get Hughes or trade down and take Dobson.

Archived