The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs name Kyle Dubas General Manager

Probably a good hire. Just the usual issue for me where TSN and SportsNet are throwing rose pedals out for the guy. Dreger already has a story out on how Dubas will lead the Leafs to a StanleyCup. Ffnn brownnoser. If the Nucks would of hired a 32 year old GM the media would of roasted them.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Dubas more about making a profit or winning championships?  Is there a different goal (keeping the franchise a float) for the Junior GMs?

When he was at the Sault, I would say a mix of both. Now I feel like he will be more about winning championships. However, I think he wants to change organizational culture.

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

When he was at the Sault, I would say a mix of both. Now I feel like he will be more about winning championships. However, I think he wants to change organizational culture.

Well, what the Leafs had been doing was (kind of) similar to the Raptors: they were doing well in the regular season, but falling short in the playoffs.  I wonder if the Raptors will keep Ujuri? 

dump all the veterans / shameless all-in tankshow

sign all the 35 year olds / the rebuild is over!

bring in a dinosaur GM

follow that with a 30 year old GM

the Shanaplan.  whatever it is, it's genius!

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Hopefully he follows in the track of his colleague in Arizona :lol:

I'm wondering if the Leafs choke next year and miss the playoffs, wondering if he'll have the guts to fire Babcock LOL.  Can't imagine Babcock is too pleased about that, their philosophy is probably at each end of the spectrum.

Yotes operate on a Value Village budget though (granted being given an unlimited supply of money to spend didn't help Sather with the Rangers).

2 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

On paper that's as bone-headed a move as it comes. In reality, it's a bone-headed move. Stupid, stupid Leafs :lol:

By all reports he is a smart progressive young man who has had success at every level and was sought by a number of clubs last year but the Leafs declined interview requests.  He has a background in analytics as should anybody running a team now, you need to have the background to properly define the limits of their usefulness.

If anything what they have done in the recent resurgence of the Leafs is make smart management moves.  Easy to crap all over them because they are the Leafs but our club is running a bare bones pro scouting department and the results are showing with the quality of our veterans that we have traded for or signed.

Really unconvincing presser.

Shanahan looks like he's lost in space.

Meh. at least they did the wise thing in promoting Babcock to dual coach and GM duties while putting a marketable youth-face on it.

Fun listening to Damien Cox fluff it.

44 minutes ago, Qwags said:

What part of the Shanaplan is this?

Apparently it was always the Shanaplan.  It has been reported that Lou was brought in specifically to mentor Dubas for three years and then move into an advisory role.  It just seems that maybe Lou wasn't quite ready to give up that role just yet.

Archived