The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) chi-van

To van: saad

to chi: goldobin, hutton

saad had an awful year. 35 points at 6m yeesh. Those are eriksson type numbers.

Buy low. saad at 25 has plenty of time to turn it around

saad-horvat-boeser 

would be pretty sick 

No to a WAY overpriced Saad. 

Yes to letting Hutton rebound and re-establish himself in our top 4/5.

Also yes to keeping Goldy and seeing him become a regular and developing into a solid scoring top 6 guy in our franchise. 

I'd like to thank @billabong for not creating another Tanev thread.

That said, I'm a no on the trade. Goldy looks to be right were Baer was two years ago, only Goldy has more dangle. Saad is nothing special and his contract blows. 

I think Hutton deserves another chance, his value has dropped and now's not the time to move him.

16 hours ago, billabong said:

saad had an awful year. 35 points at 6m yeesh. Those are eriksson type numbers.

Buy low. saad at 25 has plenty of time to turn it around

saad-horvat-boeser 

would be pretty sick 

I understood what you did there, buy low...and you would be buying low with Goldobin and Hutton.  Its worrisome that once he was reunited with Toews and CHI his numbers did too, he started out guns ablazing with four goals/points or something like that in his first game (which made me leap latch onto him in a hockey pool I do that starts a couple games into the season....which made me very Saaaad).  

He earned his second contract, with better numbers than Horvat managed at the same price, what Alf says makes me wonder,  he was pretty good in CLB but not very good.   I'd expect a bounce back to at least fifty points which would be ok given the game he plays.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We don’t want Saad and his dead weight of a contract, let alone give up assets to get it.

The purpose of this trade is to acquire Jokiharju. I have watched Jokiharju played live and he is very smart and always makes the right play. He was the Hawks first round pick last year and played with Juolevi at the WJC this year. The purpose of this trade is to acquire a future top 4 D to improve our defence prospect pool. I see Jokiharju as a potential top pairing D-man. Right hand shot, mobile and high IQ D-man don’t grow on trees. Jokiharju reminds me of a young Roman Josi in his playing style. I am thinking the Hawks still believe they got another kick at the can in terms of the Stanley Cup, hence why they would be interested at Tanev. Saad is a dead weight contract we will take from them. In fact Saad’s 35 points is his lowest points per game in a season in his entire career, he has a very good chance to bounce back and to be a 45-50 point player as soon as next season. His 6 million per cap hit only runs for another 3 seasons starting next year. And it isn’t until 3 years later we need to sign EP to his potential big contract, and by then Saad’s contract would expire and we can just let him walk.

Goldobin and the 2018 2nd round pick are add ons to entice the Hawks to give up Jokiharju. The Hawks likely don’t want to give him up without some potential young pieces. It is a risk to give up a high 2nd to a good drafting team in the Blackhawks, but it is a risk I am willing to take, acquiring Jokiharju means give us the flexibility on who we pick at #7. If JB believes the BPA at #7 is a forward not a D-man, he would still feel comfortable on picking him with the addition of Jokiharju to the organization. If JB picks another D such as Bouchard, Hughes, Boqvisr or Dobson etc. then with the addition of Jokiharju we look to have round out 3 of the future top 4 D in Juolevi, #7 pick and Jokiharju.

18 hours ago, billabong said:

Saad had a bad year statically but he is valuable to Chicago in more ways then one.

They traded for Saad because they missed his grit and locker room presence, Teows and Kane wanted him back.

You've got to remember they did just trade Panarin for Saad. 

Chicago would look like they don't what their doing if they traded Saad so soon . Personally I think trading away Panarin was stupid in the first place but hey if it makes the Blackhawks a worse team I'm happy.

In the end I don't think Hutton and Goldy get to the value of what would be the asking price from the Hawks nor would i be intrested in acquiring him.

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I like the target as Saad is a fantastic buy low target. Chicago needs cap relief. We also give up two borderline players. I’d do this deal!

Chicago are set to have cap space this summer.  Bowman talks of adding in free agency but says he has to be mindful of how he uses that cap space because his priority is to make sure they can retain players like DeBrincat, Hinostroza, Schmaltz.

Bowman was asked about the Saad-Panarin trade and says it's too early to judge.  He explained that Saad was doing a lot of things right but that his shooting percentage was unusually low this season and thinks it will be back to normal next season.  He's not going to sell him low.  

Archived