The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cuban airplane crash kills 100 people

PhillipBlunt

Cuba plane: More than 100 die in Havana air crash

p067lfzx.jpg
The plane crashed close to Havana's Jose Marti airport

More than 100 people have died after a Boeing 737 airliner crashed and exploded near Jose Marti International Airport in Havana, Cuban state media say.

Three people have survived but are in a critical condition in hospital, Cuban Communist Party newspaper Granma reported.

The plane came down shortly after take-off, crashing in a field.

It was carrying 104 passengers and nine foreign crew, according to local media.

"There has been an unfortunate aviation accident. The news is not very promising, it seems that there is a high number of victims," Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said after visiting the crash site.

The airliner had been leased to state airline Cubana de Aviación by the Mexican company Damojh, Cuban news agency Prensa Latina said.

State TV said it was an internal flight from the Cuban capital to the city of Holguin, in the east of the island.

The site of the accident after a Cubana de Aviacion aircraft crashed after taking off from Havana"s Jose Marti airport on May 18 2018Image copyright AFP Image caption Plumes of smoke rose above the crash site Emergency services pictured with ambulances at the scene of the crashImage copyright AFP/Getty Images Image caption Emergency services are at the scene of the accident

Images showed a thick column of smoke rising above the crash site as fire crews and ambulances attended the scene.

Radio Havana Cuba said on Twitter that the plane came down on the "highway" between Boyeros and Havana, near the airport.

According to industry research, last year was the safest in history for commercial airline travel with no passenger jet crashes.

But there have been several serious air disasters this year. Last month, a military plane crashed shortly after take-off in Algeria, killing more than 250 people

RIP, also I wouldn't be so close to that wreckage breathing in all those nasty fumes like in the 2nd pic.  I've never been on a plane and have had numerous dreams where I witness or am on a crashing jet, don't see myself getting in one ever in my life. 

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

RIP, also I wouldn't be so close to that wreckage breathing in all those nasty fumes like in the 2nd pic.  I've never been on a plane and have had numerous dreams where I witness or am on a crashing jet, don't see myself getting in one ever in my life. 

Please get over this irrational fear. Traveling to far away places and experiencing other cultures is one of the things that makes life truly enjoyable.

Besides air travel is incredibly safe, Way safer than traveling by car.

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Please get over this irrational fear. Traveling to far away places and experiencing other cultures is one of the things that makes life truly enjoyable.

deaths1-5555f72a411b2.jpg

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Maybe, but when the engine in my car stops I don't drop thousands of feet.

I also wonder if it safer than car only because there are less planes up there than cars down here?

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

I also wonder if it safer than car only because there are less planes up there than cars down here?

Your car also doesn't have multiple engines.

Well any drunken yahoo can drive a car. Piloting a passenger jet takes a bit more education/licensing.

30 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

deaths1-5555f72a411b2.jpg

Slaying it on guitar and pleasuring women is what makes my life enjoyable:lol:.  Not everyone enjoys travelling, I'd go on a cruise if I thought otherwise.  I think my dreams of crashing planes, which I've had since I was a kid,  seem to point that I'll witness a plane crashing as opposed to dying in one. 

RIP to the victims on board and condolences to those families/friends who had loved ones aboard.

As someone who travels by plane a LOT for both work and leisure (over 45 flights in the past 2 and a half years alone) I can't say this hasn't crossed my mind. 

Rob, your infographic doesn't make me feel any safer because when I'm actually at home, I ride my motorcycle about 100km/week whenever I can. 

Have a safe weekend everyone. 

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

stats are per miles traveled so number of vehicles fully normalized.    You can do that stats anyway you want, flying is waaaaay safer than driving as long as it is a commercial airline.  Private flying stats are not as impressive - still better than driving.

26 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Slaying it on guitar and pleasuring women is what makes my life enjoyable:lol:.  Not everyone enjoys travelling, I'd go on a cruise if I thought otherwise.  I think my dreams of crashing planes, which I've had since I was a kid,  seem to point that I'll witness a plane crashing as opposed to dying in one. 

Your first two hobbies are personal favs as well.   :)   However, for work I traveled and so I researched it a lot back in the day.   Of course it crosses your mind but seeing the dramatic difference in probabilities didn't hurt in quelling the doubt.    

Either way, I hope your dreams stay there.....too many people dying the wrong way.   The right way is to be about 95, having just pleasured a women having wooed her into your bed (her being 40 years your junior) by nailing Eruption on your PRS......that is MY dream.B)

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

As weird as it sounds, watching TV shows about air accident investigations like Mayday helped make me feel more comfortable about flying (although I never considered myself to be afraid of it). Learned a lot about why accidents happen and how safety measures have been implemented over the years to make them less likely to occur.

In my experience, the better you understand something, the less you fear it.

19 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

As weird as it sounds, watching TV shows about air accident investigations like Mayday helped make me feel more comfortable about flying (although I never considered myself to be afraid of it). Learned a lot about why accidents happen and how safety measures have been implemented over the years to make them less likely to occur.

In my experience, the better you understand something, the less you fear it.

My mom has also improved with exposure to mayday lol. I have rarely flown, but feel even better about it due to watching it.

Archived