The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

19 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

$10mil for Marner and $11.5mil for Matthews?  Please let it be so.

How much then for Wee Willy?  Let's see whatcha got, Dubas.

In what world is Marner worth 10 mil? :o I do hope they sign him to that. Pasrtnak is better and far cheaper. Lets the Dubasses in Toronto make Dubas decisions. Here, here.

4 hours ago, rekker said:

Why not. Sign JT. Trade Mathews for Doughty +. Or similar dman. Instant cup contenders really. 

Trading young assets is what Toronto has done for pretty much forever. Ever single time, it destroyed rising stock.

I hope Shanahan keeps course.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎12 at 2:09 AM, iinatcc said:

True but this means that Vancouver will have to let go of Sutter or Gaudette since they are both Centers as well. Unless fans are perfectly having Sutter as $4 Million 4th line center. I say if Vancouver can trade Sutter and sign Tavares then I am all board giving Tavares 8 to 9 Million. 

Of course the other question is if Tavares even wants to sign with Vancouver.

Wasn't there rumblings a few days ago about him meeting or at least willing to meet with Vancouver brass?  If he's even considering it then there is a chance.  It's a slim chance, I know, but this team is going to be going places soon and if he can be sold on that, you never know... maybe he'd be willing to wait it out a year or two for a contender rather than solely look at current contenders.

Wherever he signs, you better believe it is double digits.  No way he signs for 8 or even 9. 

I thought we'd have a center problem too, but it just means Pettersson gets played on wing.  It's less responsibility and less stress anyway.  Then Sutter and Gaudette as our #3 and #4.  And then when he's ready, it becomes:

Pettersson Tavares Boeser.  Depending on Pettersson's ceiling, that's the best line in the NHL. 

Then for the second, Baertschi remains LW until he's traded and/or replaced by one of our young guys like Gadjovich, Virtanen, Lepsic, or most likely Daheln in the next year or two.  Right wing could be Lind or maybe even Palmu.  Likely Dahlen Horvat Lind.  That's a highly dynamic 2nd line.

3rd is easily filled with the handful of remaining players we have with Sutter at the helm or better yet we eventually trade him and Gaudette takes that spot.  And 4th... well... no problem there.

Basically, signing Tavares finishes our forward rebuild more or less inside a year or two.

Then we draft a d, go after a high profile FA (Karlsson anyone?) and the defense follows suit if not a bit later.

#7OA Karlsson
Juolevi Tanev
Tryamkin Stecher

So do we want to sign Tavares - even if it costs 12m?  Absolutely.  Will he be willing to tough out a year or two?  Who knows.

14 hours ago, kloubek said:

Wasn't there rumblings a few days ago about him meeting or at least willing to meet with Vancouver brass?  If he's even considering it then there is a chance.  It's a slim chance, I know, but this team is going to be going places soon and if he can be sold on that, you never know... maybe he'd be willing to wait it out a year or two for a contender rather than solely look at current contenders.

Wherever he signs, you better believe it is double digits.  No way he signs for 8 or even 9. 

I thought we'd have a center problem too, but it just means Pettersson gets played on wing.  It's less responsibility and less stress anyway.  Then Sutter and Gaudette as our #3 and #4.  And then when he's ready, it becomes:

Pettersson Tavares Boeser.  Depending on Pettersson's ceiling, that's the best line in the NHL. 

Then for the second, Baertschi remains LW until he's traded and/or replaced by one of our young guys like Gadjovich, Virtanen, Lepsic, or most likely Daheln in the next year or two.  Right wing could be Lind or maybe even Palmu.  Likely Dahlen Horvat Lind.  That's a highly dynamic 2nd line.

3rd is easily filled with the handful of remaining players we have with Sutter at the helm or better yet we eventually trade him and Gaudette takes that spot.  And 4th... well... no problem there.

Basically, signing Tavares finishes our forward rebuild more or less inside a year or two.

Then we draft a d, go after a high profile FA (Karlsson anyone?) and the defense follows suit if not a bit later.

#7OA Karlsson
Juolevi Tanev
Tryamkin Stecher

So do we want to sign Tavares - even if it costs 12m?  Absolutely.  Will he be willing to tough out a year or two?  Who knows.

Sadly I don't think we will ever see Tryamkin back.

22 hours ago, kloubek said:

#7OA Karlsson
Juolevi Tanev
Tryamkin Stecher

17 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Not yet most likely announced on Monday. Canucks didn’t want to announce during the big cfl opening week.

18 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Did we sign Tavares, yet?

We are saving our cap dollars for July 1st 2019.  That money is for EK!:rolleyes:

On 16/06/2018 at 11:07 AM, kloubek said:

#7OA Karlsson
Juolevi Tanev
Tryamkin Stecher

Oh my! DROOLS. You are absolutely correct. That line could be the best in the NHL.

On 2018-06-15 at 7:07 PM, kloubek said:

#7OA Karlsson
Juolevi Tanev
Tryamkin Stecher

Brought back flashbacks of

Rai Hodgson Schroeder

Sauve J. Subban

right there, thanks for that.

7 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Rai Hodgson Schroeder

Sauve J. Subban

To be fair Prab Rai and Yann Sauve were looking fairly promising until their respective accidents. 

54 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

To be fair Prab Rai and Yann Sauve were looking fairly promising until their respective accidents. 

Let's not mince words. Our drafting under Nonis and Gillis was horrendous. Absolutely pathetic. Rai & Sauve were no saviors.

40 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Let's not mince words. Our drafting under Nonis and Gillis was horrendous. Absolutely pathetic. Rai & Sauve were no saviors.

Never claimed they were but Prab Rai suffered a debilitating back injury that forced him into retirement. He'd just put up 65,65 and 69 point seasons in junior. Was looking to be a decent bottom 6/call up. 

Sauve had a solid camp and was looking like a half decent 7th dman but was hit by a car and he never regained form at the NHL level again. 

Neither was going to be a superstar but they had depth potential if not for unlucky injuries. 

9 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Rai Hodgson Schroeder

Sauve J. Subban

that's a weird thing to have a flashback of, since both rai and hodgson were gone from the organization before subban was even drafted. 

11 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Rai Hodgson Schroeder

Sauve J. Subban

My projected lines look nothing like that.  Pettersson will be a star.  Mark my words.  He has blown away even the best players to ever come out of Sweden.  Tavares would be a wee step up from Hodgson and Boeser is already a 1rw.  So no, no, and no.

For the defense, I included Karlsson... Nuff said.  There are questions about Juolevi, fair enough, but a projected 2nd pairing is fair I think.  

The biggest question mark is whether the 7oa would be a 1st pairing and thats an entirely fair question. In Benning I trust.

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

My projected lines look nothing like that.  Pettersson will be a star.  Mark my words.  He has blown away even the best players to ever come out of Sweden.  Tavares would be a wee step up from Hodgson and Boeser is already a 1rw.  So no, no, and no.

For the defense, I included Karlsson... Nuff said.  There are questions about Juolevi, fair enough, but a projected 2nd pairing is fair I think.  

The biggest question mark is whether the 7oa would be a 1st pairing and thats an entirely fair question. In Benning I trust.

I was referring to guys like Lind, Palmu and Gaudette, they’ve had promising jr/college careers... but many do and they just don’t translate to the nhl well. 

I think Pettersson will be great and Boeser has been terrific so far.

But Trymakin is a question mark. He did well here, but was a 3rd pairing guy. Those guys if they return to the NHL can slip out of the picture quickly. I haven’t seen enough out of Stetcher to indicate he’ll be more than a 6th/7th Guy, once we get better options.

It’s great to be optimistic but if we’re to be realistic, we’ll be lucky if 10 of our guys that we drafted, become mainstays here long term.

On 6/16/2018 at 8:13 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Rai Hodgson Schroeder

Sauve J. Subban

Hodgson was a legit NHLer.  Probably should still be one.  

He had to retire due to some life-threatening genetic condition.  

12 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I was referring to guys like Lind, Palmu and Gaudette, they’ve had promising jr/college careers... but many do and they just don’t translate to the nhl well. 

I think Pettersson will be great and Boeser has been terrific so far.

But Trymakin is a question mark. He did well here, but was a 3rd pairing guy. Those guys if they return to the NHL can slip out of the picture quickly. I haven’t seen enough out of Stetcher to indicate he’ll be more than a 6th/7th Guy, once we get better options.

It’s great to be optimistic but if we’re to be realistic, we’ll be lucky if 10 of our guys that we drafted, become mainstays here long term.

I don't disagree with you there.  I do think Pettersson is a winner but the rest of our guys are big question marks.  

Here's the thing though: In my original lineup combinations, I mentioned "guys like...".  The fact is, we have 2-4 guys who show good promise coming for both wings, so unless we strike out in absolute dramatic fashion, the odds dictate we should be fine.  Center is a bit lighter I think, but again, in my proposal we would be covered for all 4 positions.  Granted, we rely on Gaudette to be in the lineup but he has shown good promise and I'm confident he will be able to play at least a 4th line role.  And even if he doesn't, we do have other players like Granlund who can.

For the D, yeah - it may be a stretch to assume the 7th OA will be a top pairing guy. Perhaps that IS optimistic, but then there is a chance Juolevi might be that guy. We also have a few dark horsees in the defensive pool - though to be honest I'm not expecting all that much from those guys and we really need to stock the d-cup board.

Here's the bottom line: We can be pessimistic or we can be optimistic. Either way, we have to ask ourselves if there is at least a decent chance of either viewpoint actually materializing.  And with all the young talent we have, I would say it is much more likely we are going to have a good team in 2-3 years as opposed to continuing to flounder.  And, if we were to somehow pull off something like the 2 FA signings I mentioned, we would have a very solid contender; perhaps a favorite.  Am I stretching that we might get Tavares and Karlsson?  Absolutely.  It would be tough enough to get just one of them. But that's partially what these forums are about - to flush out ideas and dream that they might come to fruition.

I am ok with signing Tavares, he is only 27 and UFA which fits in my philosophy, sign any UFA for a long term contract before they hit 30.    We have cap room for that and plus he will be 34 when the contract expires so it won't hurt us too much if he keeps producing points for us.    Should we successfully trade away Erikkson, and sign Tavares, he will be the highest paid player unless Boeser continues to do what he did in his rookie year then he deserves the top dollars.   With Patterson coming in and if he does what he does in SHL and playing with Tavares, then the line would be a nightmare to defend.   I'm liking the Tavares-Patterson-Boeser line combo.   

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

I am ok with signing Tavares, he is only 27 and UFA which fits in my philosophy, sign any UFA for a long term contract before they hit 30.    We have cap room for that and plus he will be 34 when the contract expires so it won't hurt us too much if he keeps producing points for us.    Should we successfully trade away Erikkson, and sign Tavares, he will be the highest paid player unless Boeser continues to do what he did in his rookie year then he deserves the top dollars.   With Patterson coming in and if he does what he does in SHL and playing with Tavares, then the line would be a nightmare to defend.   I'm liking the Tavares-Patterson-Boeser line combo.   

If I’m Tavares and I’m looking to Center a 1st line with two of the most dynamic players in the NHL, I’m looking at Boeser, Pettersson & Vancouver.

Archived