The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(The Province Article) Preaching Patience and Selling Hope

Tre Mac

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I think we are starting to get to the point where its swim or sink time. In order to do so, they need the opportunity, and again I think we'll see a lot of youngsters given the chance..... Could see us struggle another year or two. After that management will know for sure, what we have to build on.

You can add the no 37 pick to the top and maybe even 68th pick as well to the names mentioned.

Maybe even Rathbone, Di Pietro, Gunnarson, Lockwood and even Trym, and this is an incredible amount of talent. 

But as you rightly stated, at some stage we need to start win hockey games again... Fans are fickle and so are owners... 

Well said! I agree. With the Sedins now retired, it really allows management to focus on youth from that sink or swim standpoint. We had to get there. Had the Sedins signed an extension, as much as I love them, I think there'd still be somewhat of a "win now for them one last time" mentality. 

Although we'll likely struggle another year or two, at least fans can get excited about seeing more youth. The added benefit on the ice is that our youth will be overcoming adversity, learning from losing, as the team gets better organically.

With more opportunities, it's going to be interesting to see who emerges from the shadows that we're not even thinking about along with those later picks. 

I've always viewed the true timeline aligned with the ages of Horvat, Demko, and Virtanen as they reach 24-26. You can see how Benning has added a young group that can grow together and mature on the same path. And Bo will be the slightly older, more experienced leader of that group. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Rather they were valued TDL targets worth more than a 3rd rounder, if they are to continue buying UFAs as meanwhiles/warm-bodies. 

Low dollar, low term UFA's worth more than a 3rd'ish in trade return is a pretty small (aka not realistic/near non existent) market. 

Guys that return more than that tend to be a team's own, longer term, expiring players. Not short term, low dollar, low cap, (and clearly low demand) 'warm bodies'.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Patience is still a necessity at this point. We can't accelerate age and experience. 

We're still 3-4 years away from maturity of the rebuild/contention/whatever we call it. The timeline is in the ages of our youth. 

Demko 22
Goldobin 22
Virtanen 21
Boeser 21
Gaudette 21
Dahlen 20
Juolevi 20
Jasek 20
Palmu 20
Petterssen 19
Lind 19
Gadjovich 19
DiPietro 19
#7 Pick 18/19 

The door to the new era is just beginning to open. We still need to allow guys to mature, prove themselves, and others to emerge. Our time isn't now, it's still a few years away from an upswing standpoint when our youth is 23-26 as they come of age together into their prime.

In 3-4 years, Bo will be 26-27, Tryamkin will be 26-27, and (if still here) guys like Stretcher and Hutton will be 28-29.

We really need to see how much of an impact Boeser, Petterssen, Gaudette, Virtanen, Dahlen, Demko will have next season before we start spending big money. 

I agree with Linden about not getting ahead of ourselves right now. But at some point in Benning's extension, management needs to be more aggressive. 

Yup. IMO another 1-2 years away and we should have a much better idea of what holes the next core has that can be filled by UFA  (and trade for that matter).

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. IMO another 1-2 years away and we should have a much better idea of what holes the next core has that can be filled by UFA  (and trade for that matter).

Agree. A lot of value will be established over the next few years, roster and trade wise. Just need to be patient. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

True.  I don’t understand why they gave up so much for that guy.  He might even be a buy-out candidate?

You bet, he wasn't considered good enough to even make the line-up by the coach and used sparingly in the playoffs to give Perron a break more than anything...Detroit got away with robbery in a way,  he's a consistent player who seems to have peaked at 20 plus goals and around fifty points getting primo top six minutes (three mostly as he was one of their best forwards)...still Detroit is a mess cap wise and team wise.  People complain about Bennings contracts (which aside from LE have been spot on and fair...)OMG Dorsett OMG Sbisa OMG Gudbranson OMG Miller OMG Vrbata... makes me laugh it's like some people have no idea what other players are making or something.  

Detroit is paying the piper the same way we are,  and was smart to get what they could  as they have a ton of work to do to fix their prospect pool, develop guys and wait out bad contracts.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Agree. A lot of value will be established over the next few years, roster and trade wise. Just need to be patient. 

Two years from now a lot of options should start opening up for Benning and management to start pinning down who's a core player, who is support, what area is a position of strength and could still hold up as one after a trade to help a weaker area etc.   At this point targeting the cream UFAs like Benning did when he first came makes way more sense.

Its nice to see that Linden and Benning are committed to it and that we get to watch a new and already different core emerge.   Boeser appears to be one of the best wingers the club has ever had (superstar is a possibility given he's just getting started) and Horvat is way ahead of Kessler at the same age and temperament reminds me of Smyl (which is very refreshing after Naslund and H. Sedin, love those guys but having a Canadian Captain is long overdue, Henrik was fine but I never thought they picked the right guy in Naslund, would have preferred Jovo) and of course there is Pettersson who's going to be so fun to watch....

lots to enjoy,!!  

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Two years from now a lot of options should start opening up for Benning and management to start pinning down who's a core player, who is support, what area is a position of strength and could still hold up as one after a trade to help a weaker area etc.   At this point targeting the cream UFAs like Benning did when he first came makes way more sense.

Its nice to see that Linden and Benning are committed to it and that we get to watch a new and already different core emerge.   Boeser appears to be one of the best wingers the club has ever had (superstar is a possibility given he's just getting started) and Horvat is way ahead of Kessler at the same age and temperament reminds me of Smyl (which is very refreshing after Naslund and H. Sedin, love those guys but having a Canadian Captain is long overdue, Henrik was fine but I never thought they picked the right guy in Naslund, would have preferred Jovo) and of course there is Pettersson who's going to be so fun to watch....

lots to enjoy,!!  

Well said, IBatch!! Agree with you as well! I'm not trying to be cliche in echoing Linden but patience and hope is exactly where we're at right now.

You can see how the Sedins and NTCs impacted the approach early on in this process. As soon as they retired, it didn't take long for management to commit to the youth. 

I like your Smyl comparison with Horvat. I dunno about Jovo with the C. He was loved but took a lot flack too for being inconsistent. 

Think Petterssen is going to surprise a lot of fans next season. He's a special talent that doesn't need coddling. You let him do his thing like Boeser last season. 

14 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Patience is still a necessity at this point. We can't accelerate age and experience. 

We're still 3-4 years away from maturity of the rebuild/contention/whatever we call it. The timeline is in the ages of our youth. 

Demko 22
Goldobin 22
Virtanen 21
Boeser 21
Gaudette 21
Dahlen 20
Juolevi 20
Jasek 20
Palmu 20
Petterssen 19
Lind 19
Gadjovich 19
DiPietro 19
#7 Pick 18/19 

The door to the new era is just beginning to open. We still need to allow guys to mature, prove themselves, and others to emerge. Our time isn't now, it's still a few years away from an upswing standpoint when our youth is 23-26 as they come of age together into their prime.

In 3-4 years, Bo will be 26-27, Tryamkin will be 26-27, and (if still here) guys like Stretcher and Hutton will be 28-29.

We really need to see how much of an impact Boeser, Petterssen, Gaudette, Virtanen, Dahlen, Demko will have next season before we start spending big money. 

I agree with Linden about not getting ahead of ourselves right now. But at some point in Benning's extension, management needs to be more aggressive. 

That list does show how vital it is for Juolevi to be able to make the next step ( I think he will) & for Tryamkin to come back as that list you gave does show there aren’t *any* notable D other than those two.  Not going to be a credible contender without a solid blue line (Taney & Edler are starting to put up some mileage on their bodies).  Hopefully this upcoming draft will address.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎14 at 12:29 PM, DrJockitch said:

Don't use Vegas as a model on how to build a franchise.  Happens all the time that an average team rides hot goalie to the finals.  

I would rather look at the Stanley Cup winners to look for a pattern on how to build a team.  

Top end quality at the important positions of centre and D and solid to spectacular goal tending, fill the rest with best depth you can with the dollars remaining.

Oh do you mean like how the Blackhawks did it last year? :lol:

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The Blackhawks have 3 cups in 8 years I'd trade places with them anytime. 

Winning a cup and then missing the playoffs(LA and Pittsburgh did the same thing recently) with the same core shows exactly my point. Having these key elements does not guarantee your team a trip to the SC Finals. I think TB is the elite team in this league and yet they faulter getting to the finals too. Washington did this for years and so did Vancouver actually. Vegas on the other hand, has no #1 C or #1 D man and yet they made it to the finals their first try.

You can trade place with the Hawks.......... I'm good. :lol:

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Winning a cup and then missing the playoffs(LA and Pittsburgh did the same thing recently) with the same core shows exactly my point. Having these key elements does not guarantee your team a trip to the SC Finals. I think TB is the elite team in this league and yet they faulter getting to the finals too. Washington did this for years and so did Vancouver actually. Vegas on the other hand, has no #1 C or #1 D man and yet they made it to the finals their first try.

You can trade place with the Hawks.......... I'm good. :lol:

Pretty arrogant view from a fan whose team has won nothing. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Pretty arrogant view from a fan whose team has won nothing. 

Arrogance? Having a couple of superstars on your team and thinking your "all that" is not? I would rather have a team full of "heart and soul", "play for 60 minutes" type of players(Can you say Vegas?) then a couple of prima donnas who command millions of dollars more then their counterparts.

Please JB build me a team that remotely resembles anything like the 94 team! Thanks. ::D

16 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I will take how the Blackhawk's did last year with the comfort of the all those Stanley Cup rings at home. 

Still shows that even with these players on your roster, a SC or even a berth into the playoffs is NOT GUARANTEED! You need to build a 23 MAN ROSTER to succeed. Sure it bumps up your odds but it is not essential as proven by the Vegas Knights. 

It cracks me up when some CDCer's preach to everyone else that they know what it takes to build a championship team and it will take so many years to get to this point. 

I like the idea that management is preaching right now and that is to always be looking to make the team better no matter how that looks like. You need a goalie? Then use whatever is necessary to acquire such a player. Need better D? Ditto. More offense? You get the idea. 

The odd thing I see is, when some suggest we get rid of a player we need to get something that may or may not help us. What? Make our team weaker now so that we may or may not get better in the future? 

If we stick to the model of picking draft picks every year ,and not trade them off ,and picking up players that will help when the opportunity arises, we can field a pretty good team year in and year out. Not this idea of stinking up the league for ten years and HOPE the team comes together within a small window of time. What a bunch of crap. So the poor souls who cough up thousands of dollars to support the team(for those 10 years) are going to put up with that idea? Yeah OK. 

What makes all of the teams more evenly competitive in the league is Cap compliance. If you are lacking certain players you can simply buy them. You can even trade for them as teams who are close to the cap all of sudden need to get rid of players who are going to put them over the cap. 

I am glad we are a team that spends to the cap and are not like others who cheap out and are not icing the best team possible for their fans. We have been unfortunately been carrying a couple of big salaries for "nostalgia" reasons which has prevented us from purchasing pieces that we need on this team. Luckily that era has ended and hopefully we can move on to the business of improving the team. 

I apologise for the big rant but just wanted to express another train of thought from the regular "theories" I have been reading so much of lately. 

Archived