The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If he were so obviously ready to turn pro, he would have signed a contract already. Clearly they're weighing college as an option more than you may think.

17 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

"If Hughes signs, we won't make any changes to our roster and we'll roll with 9 defensemen"

Said no GM.

Ever.

This may have just as much (if not more) to do with why he hasn't signed than any concerns over his strength/readiness. 

There’s really no rush to get this kid in there next year. He’d most likely be fine but at the end of the day we’re still a projected bottom 5-10 team so why even risk it. Pettersson and Boeser should be a big enough draw to get fans interested. To add onto that we’d have to waive another player just to fit him in. One thing I do know is playing your D+1 year in the CHL or NCAA has never hurt a players development like being rushed into the NHL has. Hughes isn’t putting us over the top.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

You're now calling this kid the next Bobby Orr? 

Good lord you are putting quite the expectations on him. He's already a sure bet to be in a tier with the best defenseman of all time, fascinating. 

I believe it was his coach that first brought up the reference to Bobby Orr...I was certainly not the first to say this.,,

If you seen Bobby Orr and the way he would bait a forechecker into getting to close to him....pull a 360 on the guy and seemingly "glide" away on a "moving sidewalk"

...no effort...just speed to pull away

That is what Quinn can do and he does it better than Will Butcher and maybe...just maybe better than next one...Dahlin...

Also guys I said I was close to 100%....so not perfect...I thought Hodgson would turn out better, but I do have an out on that one as he had a medical condition that hampered and then ultimately ended his career....

So if you want to call me out ...there you go....!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

There’s really no rush to get this kid in there next year. He’d most likely be fine but at the end of the day we’re still a projected bottom 5-10 team so why even risk it. Pettersson and Boeser should be a big enough draw to get fans interested. To add onto that we’d have to waive another player just to fit him in. One thing I do know is playing your D+1 year in the CHL or NCAA has never hurt a players development like being rushed into the NHL has. Hughes isn’t putting us over the top.

Screw the projections....we were a playoff team at Xmas time last year and we played and won games like a playoff team the last 10 games of the season...

With the kids we have coming in we will be a playoff team this year unless we have even more 1st liner's out than last year....!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I believe it was his coach that first brought up the reference to Bobby Orr...I was certainly not the first to say this.,,

If you seen Bobby Orr and the way he would bait a forechecker into getting to close to him....pull a 360 on the guy and seemingly "glide" away on a "moving sidewalk"

...no effort...just speed to pull away

That is what Quinn can do and he does it better than Will Butcher and maybe...just maybe better than next one...Dahlin...

Also guys I said I was close to 100%....so not perfect...I thought Hodgson would turn out better, but I do have an out on that one as he had a medical condition that hampered and then ultimately ended his career....

So if you want to call me out ...there you go....!

Quinn Hughes definitely plays like Orr did.  He controls the play in an amazing way.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Screw the projections....we were a playoff team at Xmas time last year and we played and won games like a playoff team the last 10 games of the season...

With the kids we have coming in we will be a playoff team this year unless we have even more 1st liner's out than last year....!

So we played like a playoff team for 1/4 of the season last year so we’re a playoff team. Every team has injuries they happen. Don’t go into next year thinking or expecting to have all our contributing players to stay healthy. We need goals and points to our roster. Losing the Sedins and Vanek subtracts 43 goals a total of 146 points off our roster. Who picks up that slack? Once that slack is picked up those were the totals that got us 6th last in the league in scoring. I do think our young guys take steps forward and Pettersson to compete for rookie of the year but playoffs is still a very tall order. Don’t get your hopes up.

43 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

So we played like a playoff team for 1/4 of the season last year so we’re a playoff team. Every team has injuries they happen. Don’t go into next year thinking or expecting to have all our contributing players to stay healthy. We need goals and points to our roster. Losing the Sedins and Vanek subtracts 43 goals a total of 146 points off our roster. Who picks up that slack? Once that slack is picked up those were the totals that got us 6th last in the league in scoring. I do think our young guys take steps forward and Pettersson to compete for rookie of the year but playoffs is still a very tall order. Don’t get your hopes up.

These kids coming in can all play D. at an overall higher level than the Sedins and Vanek...partly due to speed but mostly due to the type of players they are ( EP, JD, AG,QH,OJ, etc.)

The Sedins were brutal on D. for the first half of the season ...they got O zone starts and still gave up 3-4 odd man rushes a game...Vanek did what he could but he is just as slow as the Sedins.

Replace them with EP, AG andJD or even Liepsic and not only will you get to 146 points for them...we will get 50-100 less points (not goals) scored against us.

There has been a shake up with Linden gone...we will see what kind of "fair shake" the kids get to make the team or at least get "Stecher'd"...

I can't wait to see what happens...!

Hoping he stays in college for another year. One more year in the NCAA won't hurt his development. If anything, he's already going to a top-notch program at Michigan where he can get quality coaching and ample time in the gym to get stronger. 

The NHL schedule is a grind, and players often end up losing weight over the course of the season despite being on strict nutrition and training programs. Size might not be a matter at the start of the season, but by the 1/2 or 3/4 mark the grind of the schedule may affect him. 

Besides, Pettersson and Gaudette and Boeser should all be enough to draw in fans.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It's probably just a slip of the tongue but it is interesting that Benning said "agent" instead of "advisor". NCAA players aren't allowed to have agents before they turn pro.

Good point.

Perhaps his father is acting as his "agent" right now however. 

• Upvote 2

So Pettersson Gaudette Boeser are enough of a draw? Show me your lineup next year that has those 3 in it. Cause I can’t see how we get Gaudette in without losing player(s) to waivers. There is no room, we have 18 forwards signed for next year. No room for Dahlen or Goldobin, possibly lose Leipsic or Motte (if he plays 1 game). Benning does not seem to understand asset management. If we finish preseason without trading a bunch of vets we will get zero return for them, or lose someone for nothing on waivers. Those signings we made have created a logjam, not competition. No matter how well rookies play preseason, they won’t make the team. It would force several trades and I’m not confident Benning will do it. Either a lack of willingness or ability to make a good trade. His hand will be forced and other gms will not help him out. You see another gm drowning they will toss him a brick not a flotation device. Which means maybe Pettersson makes the team, but I’m very concerned even that may not happen.

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Doesn’t Quinn's dad work for a sport’s agency?  

Wasn't his dad involved in player development with the Leafs?

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Watchincanucks said:

So Pettersson Gaudette Boeser are enough of a draw? Show me your lineup next year that has those 3 in it. Cause I can’t see how we get Gaudette in without losing player(s) to waivers. There is no room, we have 18 forwards signed for next year. No room for Dahlen or Goldobin, possibly lose Leipsic or Motte (if he plays 1 game). Benning does not seem to understand asset management. If we finish preseason without trading a bunch of vets we will get zero return for them, or lose someone for nothing on waivers. Those signings we made have created a logjam, not competition. No matter how well rookies play preseason, they won’t make the team. It would force several trades and I’m not confident Benning will do it. Either a lack of willingness or ability to make a good trade. His hand will be forced and other gms will not help him out. You see another gm drowning they will toss him a brick not a flotation device. Which means maybe Pettersson makes the team, but I’m very concerned even that may not happen.

Opening lineup:

Goldobin/Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser 

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson 

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

Gagner and Goldobin/Leipsic spares.

Gaunce and Archibald waived.

(And that's without any injuries.)

Should Dahlen and/or Gaudette earn spots either in camp/throughout the season, they'll have injury call ups and/or any combination of Gagner, Granlund, Baer and possibly either/both of Goldobin/Leipsic traded or waived. 

None of the guys signed this summer are blocking anyone. In fact, they'll be playing the hard minutes and situations that will afford these kids easier usage to hopefully, succeed. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Opening lineup:

Goldobin/Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser 

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson 

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

Gagner and Goldobin/Leipsic spares.

Gaunce and Archibald waived. (And that's without any injuries.)

Should Dahlen and/or Gaudette earn spots either in camp/throughout the season, they'll have injury call ups and/or any combination of Gagner, Granlund, Baer and possibly either/both of Goldobin/Leipsic traded or waived. 

None of the guys signed this summer are blocking anyone. In fact, they'll be playing the hard minutes and situations that will afford these kids easier usage to hopefully, succeed. 

I keep hoping your right about things...I do agree with most everything you said but there is the Aquillini quote floating around after the Linden firing...

....something like:  "It's a long,hard road to rebuild a team"

It makes me wonder if Trevor was pushing to have the kids play and ownership wants to delay things until there is a whole new lineup waiting to come up.....

It saves money and gives the greatest window for all these "A" rookies to play together....BUT is that fair to the kids and the fans.

I am of an age where friends and acquaintances are dropping off left and right...some fans won't make it another 3-4 years.

...at least that's what I'm pulling for and what JB has being paying lip service to for years " the kids will play if they earn a spot"...

It's playoff contender or in the playoffs next year and then in the playoffs until we finally win a cup from there....!