The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I would disagree.  My opinion is that EP will be the greatest Canuck ever.  But Brock and Bo might have something to say about that too.  

So cool that we can argue about these very young guys, about which one (or more) will eclipse Bure and the Twins.  Got to hand it to JB (excepting Bo) for collecting such young phenoms.  

Hughes will absolutely be the best D man we’ve ever had.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So cool that we can argue about these very young guys, about which one (or more) will eclipse Bure and the Twins.  Got to hand it to JB (excepting Bo) for collecting such young phenoms.  

I agree the ability to have such a debate is cool.  

I also can't wait to see how EP and QH style translate to the NHL game.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Even better is that GMJB has character high on his priorities of what to look for in any player they acquire whether thru the draft, free agency or trades. Helps to avoid problems down the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alexandre said:

Even better is that GMJB has character high on his priorities of what to look for in any player they acquire whether thru the draft, free agency or trades. Helps to avoid problems down the road.

Quinn certainly has character.  He’s someone very special.  Boy, I’m excited to see this guy in our uniform!  I think he will have that same electrifying ability of Bure.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I agree the ability to have such a debate is cool.  

I also can't wait to see how EP and QH style translate to the NHL game.  

Both have things to adapt to.  For EP, it's the NHL sized ice and hockey that is a bit higher of a level than he has experienced.  For Hughes, it's much of the same; he's used to the ice, but the competition is quite a bit better and bigger than he's had to deal with.

I do think though that given their style of play and their hockey IQ that both will be able to overcome their obstacles. Their game is a very highly skilled one, and the NHL is becoming more and more appropriate for skilled players regardless of size.

If either aren't full-time NHL players this year, both certainly will be by next season. My prediction is that EP becomes a regular roster player right away. Hughes, I'm not sure.  I understand the plays a game that makes his size less important, but the higher level of play combined with crushing hits against him when they DO happen, I would not be surprised to see it overwhelm him to begin with.  And that's fine; the player we drafted was clearly going to be a defenseman and regardless, wasn't SUPPOSED to play right away at all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

If he isn't going to play on the main team, I'd rather he continues in college. I didn't hurt BB or Gaudette, and I'd like him to get a bit stronger before he starts in the NHL.

If you weigh the pros and cons, the risk vs reward, of having an 18-year-old, 5'10", 174 lb defenseman turning pro or not, I would lean towards going back to college. Remember this is the Canucks. Where players who are virtually injury free suddenly become injury prone once traded here. A team that has a history of being amongst the leaders in man games lost. I remember a physical player taking a run at Horvat during the preseason at the start of his pro career. Horvat saw him coming and was able to hold his ground. Horvat was 19 y. o. and physically ready (currently one of our biggest players at 223 lbs) and yet he still sustained a shoulder injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

If you weigh the pros and cons, the risk vs reward, of having an 18-year-old, 5'10", 174 lb defenseman turning pro or not, I would lean towards going back to college. Remember this is the Canucks. Where players who are virtually injury free suddenly become injury prone once traded here. A team that has a history of being amongst the leaders in man games lost. I remember a physical player taking a run at Horvat during the preseason at the start of his pro career. Horvat saw him coming and was able to hold his ground. Horvat was 19 y. o. and physically ready (currently one of our biggest players at 223 lbs) and yet he still sustained a shoulder injury.

Well said amigo.

Thats is my only concern as well... don't want him dead before his career even started.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Yeah, I agree. More importantly, he is going to be an essential component of our future success.

I remember the hard-fought 7 game Stanley Cup series between the Rangers and Canucks in 1994. A lot of the details and games have faded but one memory that will stay with me is Brian Leetch. The way he controlled the play, especially carrying the puck on his offensive forays into the Canuck's zone. He stood out. We was unstoppable. We had no answer. He was the difference maker in that series.

I definitely see Hughes being a difference maker for us. Not only because he has amazing speed, skill, and hockey IQ but because his attitude is outstanding. Check this out.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-bookbinder/5-things-leaders-look-for-in-a-difference-maker_b_9541458.html

How well do the above statements describe Hughes?

Wow!  Enlightening.  Hughes is a phenom in every way.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Wow!  Enlightening.  Hughes is a phenom in every way.  

Ehh, I just like to GOOGLE.

What stood out for you during the 94 Cup run? Is my memory playing tricks on me or did Leetch stand out in that series?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alexandre said:

Yeah, I agree. More importantly, he is going to be an essential component of our future success.

I remember the hard-fought 7 game Stanley Cup series between the Rangers and Canucks in 1994. A lot of the details and games have faded but one memory that will stay with me is Brian Leetch. The way he controlled the play, especially carrying the puck on his offensive forays into the Canuck's zone. He stood out. We was unstoppable. We had no answer. He was the difference maker in that series.

I definitely see Hughes being a difference maker for us. Not only because he has amazing speed, skill, and hockey IQ but because his attitude is outstanding. Check this out.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-bookbinder/5-things-leaders-look-for-in-a-difference-maker_b_9541458.html

How well do the above statements describe Hughes?

I have to be honest,  advisors know this , and know GM s know this. They advise accordingly.  I know this.  I know a kid that is expected to go top 5 in the WHL draft in two years. They are coached in all facets of the game.  We have yet to see if it's all smoke and mirrors or if it's really him. Not saying it isn't, but some of it may not be . We shall see. I put almost 0 into what I hear in draft interviews with young prospects.  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Wat 1

I mentioned Brian Leetch earlier in terms of how he controlled parts of games in the '94 Stanley Cup finals. That he was one of the difference makers for the Rangers and that I could see Hughes doing something similar in the future. While I was going thru old Sportsnet 650 radio recordings, I came across an interview with Benning I had missed, stating Hughes reminded him of Brian Leetch. The interview was Friday, June 22/18 right after they had picked Hughes.

Benning mentioned a few things about Hughes and the draft some of you may have missed. He said Hughes was the perfect fit and that he complimented the Canucks young group going forward. What separated him from the other Dmen after Dhalin was his dynamic skating. That if both Zedina and Hughes were available they would have still picked Hughes. That they never expected Hughes to be available at #7, although Benning did say they had two centermen rated in the top 7 (I am guessing they had the centerman Hayton at number 7 and Hughes at 3 or 4). That when it was time to pick at #7 there was no debate or hesitation picking Hughes (they had Hughes clearly rated as the best Dman after Dhalin). Lastly, he said he wasn't comparing him to any Dmen but Hughes reminded him of Brian Leetch.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/vancouver-canucks-radio/jim-benning-didnt-expect-quinn-hughes-fall-think-hes-perfect-fit/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I was listening to 1040 and the were talking about the Canuck's being close to signing Quinn.  Has anyone heard anything else on the topic or is Pratt blowing smoke again?

I don't really get how they could be 'close'? Aren't the Canucks just going to hand him max everything? Is there any negotiating? I thought it just came down to whether or not Hughes wants to turn pro.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I was listening to 1040 and the were talking about the Canuck's being close to signing Quinn.  Has anyone heard anything else on the topic or is Pratt blowing smoke again?

Pratt is full of $&!#. The clowns on that station will say anything to generate traffic, regardless of whether it's true or a completely fabricated lie.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Alexandre said:

I mentioned Brian Leetch earlier in terms of how he controlled parts of games in the '94 Stanley Cup finals. That he was one of the difference makers for the Rangers and that I could see Hughes doing something similar in the future. While I was going thru old Sportsnet 650 radio recordings, I came across an interview with Benning I had missed, stating Hughes reminded him of Brian Leetch. The interview was Friday, June 22/18 right after they had picked Hughes.

Benning mentioned a few things about Hughes and the draft some of you may have missed. He said Hughes was the perfect fit and that he complimented the Canucks young group going forward. What separated him from the other Dmen after Dhalin was his dynamic skating. That if both Zedina and Hughes were available they would have still picked Hughes. That they never expected Hughes to be available at #7, although Benning did say they had two centermen rated in the top 7 (I am guessing they had the centerman Hayton at number 7 and Hughes at 3 or 4). That when it was time to pick at #7 there was no debate or hesitation picking Hughes (they had Hughes clearly rated as the best Dman after Dhalin). Lastly, he said he wasn't comparing him to any Dmen but Hughes reminded him of Brian Leetch.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/vancouver-canucks-radio/jim-benning-didnt-expect-quinn-hughes-fall-think-hes-perfect-fit/

IIRC I think Benning was asked the question again and he said they did have Zadina ranked ahead of Hughes. Not positive about that though. If I had to guess it would be something like

Dahlin

Svechnikov

Zadina

Hughes

Kotkaniemi

Dobson

Hayton

2 centers in the top 7. Tkachuck or Wahlstrom may be in there instead of Dobson. Just guessing at this point though.