The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Alexandre said:

Hughes feels he is ready for the NHL. He is a very confident player and playing well at the Worlds only reinforced his belief that he is ready. For him, it will be the NHL or back to Michigan. The fans are excited, the owner is excited. I'm excited. Imagine Hughes and Pettersson on the ice together.

There will be enormous pressure on Benning to sign Hughes to a contract next week. He of all GMs knows how it feels to be in Hughes' shoes. Benning was a smallish offensive defenseman drafted 6th overall in 1981 who played in the NHL as a 19-year-old for the Leafs. No pressure.

Listen to Hughes coach at Michigan Mel Pearson below. He thinks Hughes is close to being physically ready. But is close to being physically ready good enough? He said that Jack Johnson and Zach Werenski benefited greatly with a second year in college. Both were able to get stronger. Both put up ppg or better their second years. Wasn't it Benning that said a prospect should dominate at their current level before being considered ready for the NHL? Boesser dominated in college. Pettersson dominated in the SHL. I'd like to see Hughes dominate in college.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/wolverines-coach-suggests-hughes-might-better-off-another-year-michigan/

I agree with most of this.  I guess what is important is how to define dominate?

Hughes was the youngest player in NCAA and outscored Makar and Fabbro.  Also had better +/-.  He wasn't a ppg but those numbers look pretty good for a defenceman.

I for one will be disappointed if he doesn't play this year.  But I will completely understand and be glad smarter hockey people than me are making the decision.

• Upvote 1

We haven't seen Hughes in camp against other Canucks defensemen yet. All comments about "Hughes wants to turn pro" and "Benning wants him to turn pro" are relatively meaningless until he actually steps on the ice and sees where he stands. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

We haven't seen Hughes in camp against other Canucks defensemen yet. All comments about "Hughes wants to turn pro" and "Benning wants him to turn pro" are relatively meaningless until he actually steps on the ice and sees where he stands. 

For him to be in camp he has to have already turned pro.  So your logic doesn't match reality.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tas said:

he has to make the decision before he has that opportunity. 

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

For him to be in camp he has to have already turned pro.  So your logic doesn't match reality.

I thought he could participate in part of the camp (4 days or something) before the deadline to return to college?

Didn't Larkin go to the Red Wings camp and then sign afterwards whe he made the team?

4 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Hughes was almost a point per game as the youngest defenceman in the league. What's your definition of dominating?

For an offensive defenseman like Hughes, more than ppg, not almost ppg. Pearson, his coach in Michigan says he is close to being physically ready for the NHL. I take his comment at face value. He coached Jack Johnson and Werenski and knows how much benefit a second year in college was for both of them.

Why not give him another year in college. Ferraro says he has never seen a prospect ruined with extra development. We do, however, have many examples of prospects rushed too soon into the NHL. Put it this way, if I was to guess whether Hughes was ready for a full slate of 82 NHL games in his draft year, I would rather err on the side of caution. We have to get Hughes' development right. He is critical to our future if we want to contend for the big prize.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

For an offensive defenseman like Hughes, more than ppg, not almost ppg. Pearson, his coach in Michigan says he is close to being physically ready for the NHL. I take his comment at face value. He coached Jack Johnson and Werenski and knows how much benefit a second year in college was for both of them.

Why not give him another year in college. Ferraro says he has never seen a prospect ruined with extra development. We do, however, have many examples of prospects rushed too soon into the NHL. Put it this way, if I was to guess whether Hughes was ready for a full slate of 82 NHL games in his draft year, I would rather err on the side of caution. We have to get Hughes' development right. He is critical to our future if we want to contend for the big prize.

Including the current GM.  Benning has certainly hinted at his start early on in his playing  career

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Ya, the WHC where the players were better than the Canucks was not a test at all.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Boeser put's up a hat trick in his first game in Da Beauty league play....

Hughes too EP, too BB...top corner....it's a thing already....we just haven't seen it yet...

Sign the Mini MIghty and make it happen...!

Yes!  Good comparison.

12EA22C1-7D2E-4D3A-B4EA-AAD9494D5992.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

Including the current GM.  Benning has certainly hinted at his start early on in his playing  career

Yes. This is all true. I'm a Benning believer and I understand why Virtanen was rushed into the NHL. What I don't understand is rushing McCann at the same time as well. Did he cave into the pressure of a rookie GM needing to make a splash like GMMG?

Concerning Hughes, I feel the rewards of him playing this season with us is not worth the risks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Yes. This is all true. I'm a Benning believer and I understand why Virtanen was rushed into the NHL. What I don't understand is rushing McCann at the same time as well. Did he cave into the pressure of a rookie GM needing to make a splash like GMMG?

Concerning Hughes, I feel the rewards of him playing this season with us is not worth the risks.

McCann had earned a spot. Plain and simple. He scored 5 in his first 9 games. 

Henning has always been adamant that if a rookie forces his hand he will be on the team. McCann forced his hand.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Henning has always been adamant that if a rookie forces his hand he will be on the team. McCann forced his hand.

Yeah, McCann had an excellent training camp as I recall. If anything, I would argue that Virtanen was the questionable one coming out of that camp.

• Upvote 2

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Yup. Forgot about that.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

@JamesB had it right. 

As explained in the CBA FAQ, if a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year) does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year.

https://www.capfriendly.com/articles/30/entry-level-slides

ELCs can slide if the player is in the AHL or Euro pro. They don’t need to be in major junior.

An example is William Nylander. His contract slid in 2014-15, a year he split between playing for Modo (SHL) and the Marlies (AHL).

I don't think this counts for NCAA players, though. As soon as they sign a contract, it doesn't matter if they play in the AHL, it still doesn't slide. I haven't seen anything that contradicts this.

4 hours ago, Alexandre said:

It was McCann that clearly earned his way on to the team with his pre-season play and first 9 games and was on fire.  I think Virtanen was the add on partly because of what McCann was demonstrating, but he was clearly outplayed by McCann.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

I don't think this counts for NCAA players, though. As soon as they sign a contract, it doesn't matter if they play in the AHL, it still doesn't slide. I haven't seen anything that contradicts this.

Kyle Turris

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/kyle-turris

Contract slid for 2007-08.

• Upvote 1