The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Hughes could make this team next season. Honestly though...that's a scary thought because our D-corps hasn't played any meaningful games since Willie D's first year coaching the Nucks. Having Quinn Hughes and/or Olli Juolevi following the example of defensemen who know how to consistently win games in the NHL is pretty important. If he isn't gonna learn that here, then he's gotta go to Utica and play top minutes. I don't wanna see him fizzle out like all the players who Edmonton has shat thru.

I see value for his development in having him play pro hockey in Utica. He can get used the the pro game and schedule without having the eyes of the world watching him. He can continue to get stronger and work on the little details in his game. He can spend a season playing good minutes with our other young prospects and building chemistry with them. Hopefully taking them to a Calder Cup Championship! Also giving him some games in the NHL. 

Then next season he will be ready to make that transition and help our team out in a big way. 

8 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Hughes could make this team next season. Honestly though...that's a scary thought because our D-corps hasn't played any meaningful games since Willie D's first year coaching the Nucks. Having Quinn Hughes and/or Olli Juolevi following the example of defensemen who know how to consistently win games in the NHL is pretty important. If he isn't gonna learn that here, then he's gotta go to Utica and play top minutes. I don't wanna see him fizzle out like all the players who Edmonton has shat thru.

Edler, Tanev, MDZ and Gudbranson have all played NHL playoff hockey in meaningful roles.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Edler, Tanev, MDZ and Gudbranson have all played NHL playoff hockey in meaningful roles.

That's actually not good enough. Edler and Tanev have not played playoff hockey in going on 5 years now and are so far removed from a winning culture that it's not even funny, Gudbranson is hella injured always and has played 1 round of playoff hockey in his career, and MDZ has had a spotty career at best. Right now, that experience is not good enough. This d core has been okay with losing for far too long. I don't want Quinn Hughes to end up also being okay with losing.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

The team (or d core) isn't 'ok with losing'. The team's rebuilding, it's the reality of where they are in their cycle.

Honestly, where do people come up with this stuff? Like gee, if only we had a bunch of elite top 4 D with recent cup experience. Why on earth didn't we pick some of those up off the elite top 4 cup winning D tree anyway? :picard:

Guess who were/are also rebuilding. The Oilers. Didn't that basically start after they made the final 12 years ago? They didn't get guys on their back end who knew how to win and the rebuild seems to continue. Even WITH Connor McDavid.  Buffalo is in the same situation. Why do you think Jay Beagle was signed?! He's here for more than just playing. He has been playing playoff hockey for years and years now. Almost as long as the Oilers have been rebuilding.

It's just like anyone...you start losing, you lose a little confidence, and it goes from there. Before the season starts, I want to see one. Just one defenseman in our top 4 who has been playing consistent playoff hockey in the past 5 years. The kind of influence that could have on the rest of the team in the dressing room would be tremendous. 

so now after saying Hughes would make a decision this week, now there is no timeline. either sign or don't sign. other teams and players  have not had any problem making a decision! why does it always take Canucks org longer?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

so now after saying Hughes would make a decision this week, now there is no timeline. either sign or don't sign. other teams and players  have not had any problem making a decision! why does it always take Canucks org longer?

It doesn't, we're just more impatient,

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just gonna leave this here.

2018 first round picks not yet signed:

Tkachuk, Hughes, Kravtsov, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Dellandrea, Farabee, Denisenko, Smith, Foudy, O'Brien, Miller, Lundeström, Johansson, Bernard-Docker, Beaudin, Lundkvist, Veleno, Alexeyev

Just waiting for someone to suggest that Tkachuk and Hughes are friends and will play out their college years and then sign with whatever team of their choosing.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

My best Vancouver sports media impression (except you, Dhaliwal):

"Hughes remains highest drafted unsigned defenceman, cause for concern?" 

So true on how they seem to search out the negative spins. You would think that all of these guys started their careers in politics.

When he does sign there will negativity around that as well.

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

What's the hurry? Seriously, it changes nothing if he signs a week ago or 3 week or more from now. 

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

So true on how they seem to search out the negative spins. You would think that all of these guys started their careers in politics.

When he does sign there will negativity around that as well.

I think they probably started their sports coverage careers in Toronto and never really left LOL

Edited by Kootenay Gold
clarification of wording
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I agree....Pratt does need to take more writing and English classes.::D

Pratt is typical of the Vancouver sports media. None of them ever had any athletic skill at all and were probably bullied by the athletes in their school. Hey Pratt!! Give it a rest you fear mongering peice of trash....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2