The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Well said Kushman. I don't care for the Dahlin vs Hughes comparisons, except that I think VAN has a brighter future than BUF. Dahlin is the best player in that draft, no question, but Hughes is the 2nd best D.

We can always compare Hughes to Bouchard though. ;)

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Book ends of excellence!

I always look at a 1st rounder, within the context of it's season. For example, if you're lousy(like Flamers), yet still have no bloody pick.. THAT must be a freeken'nightmare!

In our case, we got this amazing young talent, yet one could argue Van had a surprisingly promising yr. If we didn't get hit by a slew of injuries, would say they could've been in the WC fight 'til late March, perhaps(?)

We had a super start, & a brilliant finish(aforementioned book ends). Going forward, the team has to whittle down this injury-thing(that usually surfaces mid-season). Speed, size, youth, & controlling play will hopefully help in that regard.

Last year we couldn't handle the injuries to Bo and Brock....this year we will likely have Gaudette, Dahlen, Jasek and whoever our 13th forward is (Goldy?) to replace top players ...AND we will have EP already on the team and OJ on the team by xmas...

We will be able to handle injuries better than last year by a wide margin...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Thats an easy one Bouchard plays in NHL first therefore is better. :ph34r:

He's got to be, right? lol

I joke a bit, because I really dislike EDM, but Bouchard will be a good Dman for them. Just not Quinn Hughes good. 

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I joke a bit, because I really dislike EDM, but Bouchard will be a good Dman for them. Just not Quinn Hughes good. 

I think Bouchard is going to get walked too much this year to be a regular...if they do try him...his agility is lower than Edler's,  I do think he will be fine in a year or 2 though....

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Still too early, who thought McAvoy would be the top D man from the 2016 class. Bouchard's number last year were really impressive he could pot 20 goals/season in his prime. 

I expect ongoing comparisons between the top 4 d men in this class to go on for a long time. Hopefully with Hughes coming out on top. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

35 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Still too early, who thought McAvoy would be the top D man from the 2016 class. Bouchard's number last year were really impressive he could pot 20 goals/season in his prime. 

I expect ongoing comparisons between the top 4 d men in this class to go on for a long time. Hopefully with Hughes coming out on top. 

Was never a fan of Bouchard. A guy that plays almost 30 minutes a game,. mostly in the ozone. Has most plays drawn up for him is going to get his points. He is slow. Has very bad edgework and is lazy. I watched many of his games and prayed we would not draft him.

I will not get involved in the Dhalin comparisons, way to soon. One thing I will say is Quinn's D tends to get overanalyzed due to his amazing offensive skills. Not saying he is near Dahlin in that regard, but if he grows an inch or two, all of a sudden he starts to win more board battles. combine that with the way he is able to cut off defenders and steal the puck. It might bring things a little more closer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, plantheparade7979 said:

Was never a fan of Bouchard. A guy that plays almost 30 minutes a game,. mostly in the ozone. Has most plays drawn up for him is going to get his points. He is slow. Has very bad edgework and is lazy. I watched many of his games and prayed we would not draft him.

I will not get involved in the Dhalin comparisons, way to soon. One thing I will say is Quinn's D tends to get overanalyzed due to his amazing offensive skills. Not saying he is near Dahlin in that regard, but if he grows an inch or two, all of a sudden he starts to win more board battles. combine that with the way he is able to cut off defenders and steal the puck. It might bring things a little more closer.

That is...the way it is....well done!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, plantheparade7979 said:

He plays 30 minutes a night on average and is lazy? Perhaps he conserves his energy because going full out for 30 minutes a night will not go well.

Has plays drawn up for him and that's why he's producing? How else do you expect plays to be drawn up? I'm certain any player with good offense will generally have the offense designed around them. Perhaps a guy like Hughes has more creativity, but that doesn't take away what Bouchard has accomplished.

Skating was always in question for him, but had we taken him, I'm sure people will just say to get him on the Horvat training and he will be fine. So it's up to him to be determined enough to improve in this aspect of his game.

I'm certain that the perspective of Bouchard would completely change if we had drafted him instead.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, plantheparade7979 said:

Your first post is to cut down another prospect? Geez.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

He plays 30 minutes a night on average and is lazy? Perhaps he conserves his energy because going full out for 30 minutes a night will not go well.

Has plays drawn up for him and that's why he's producing? How else do you expect plays to be drawn up? I'm certain any player with good offense will generally have the offense designed around them. Perhaps a guy like Hughes has more creativity, but that doesn't take away what Bouchard has accomplished.

Skating was always in question for him, but had we taken him, I'm sure people will just say to get him on the Horvat training and he will be fine. So it's up to him to be determined enough to improve in this aspect of his game.

I'm certain that the perspective of Bouchard would completely change if we had drafted him instead.

Maybe...but most of us wanted Hughes or Dobson...so speaking for myself, I would be miffed at picking Bouchard at least until he made our team...and OJ would make the team before he did anyway, so that would be a year's worth of stewing....

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Bolded is an excellent point. Bouchard is a young man that has worked hard to become a very good young prospect. Lazy does not seem to be a word that fits with him. Strange comment by the other poster imo.

43 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think this is true both by what Hughes did and by what Bouchard didn't do.   I was not keen on Bouchard and wanted Dobson (didn't even consider Hughes as was convinced he would be long gone) as I worried about Bouchard's skating and after the Showcase that worry didn't go away.   Big guy with great vision and a nice first pass - all NHL ready but that skating I simply cannot overlook.

Yeah I definitely viewed Dobson as the safe pick though, which I'm sick of. Virtanen and olli were safe picks. Hughes and pettersson were not. No brainer what pair is the more intriguing.

• Upvote 1

Luke Fox pointed this out.   Interesting to see what Dylan Larkin had to say.

Dylan Larkin has high praise for Quinn Hughes

It was noted Luke was on Vancouver radio yesterday on this show:

Quinn Hughes Norris Trophy-esque Skating

Vancouver Canucks: Dylan Larkin has high praise for Quinn Hughes

• Red Wings sniper Dylan Larkin offered massive praise for fellow University of Michigan product Quinn Hughes, referring to the Vancouver Canucks’ 2018 first-round selection as a potential Norris Trophy winner.

The Vancouver Canucks have never had a Norris Trophy winner in their history, nor have they owned a defenceman whom you could classify as a “franchise-changer”.

But the team is hoping that Quinn Hughes — whom they selected with the seventh pick in this year’s draft — can become the game-changing defender that they’ve sought for decades. Hughes announced his decision to go back to the University of Michigan for a second year, so Canucks fans will have to wait and be patient until the party starts.

It’s important for Canucks fans to remember that all good things in life are waiting for. And if Detroit Red Wings sniper Dylan Larkin has it right, Vancouver will not regret being patient in Hughes’ transition to the NHL.

Asked by Sportsnet’s Luke Fox what the Canucks have in Hughes, Larkin had this to say:

Asked Dylan Larkin what the Vancouver Canucks are getting in Quinn Hughes. He slipped the phrase "Norris Trophy" into his answer.

Hughes and Larkin played together for Team USA at this year’s IIHF World Hockey Championships in Denmark, leading the Americans to a bronze medal. Hughes finished with two assists in 10 games, while Larkin dominated with a trio of goals and six assists.

Larkin, whose game is also built around speed and quick puck movement, got a first-hand look at Hughes, and was wowed by what he saw. It’s obviously too early to tell if Hughes will morph into a Norris Trophy winner, but Canuck fans have to like what a budding star in Larkin had to say about their new prospect.

Hughes scored five goals and 29 points in 37 games for the Wolverines in his first year of college. Considering that defencemen take longer to develop, it probably is the safe bet for Hughes to continue working on his game in college.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Dion Phaneuf 2.0?

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

With Pettersson, if he plays with Eriksson and Virtannen

I have struggled with what might be an ideal line for Pettersson? If he played pivot this year. I actually really like that line!

Baer Bo Boeser

Roussel Sutter Granlund  (really 3rd line, but with lots of minutes as per match ups?)

Jake Pettersson Eriksson

Schaller Beagle Gaudette     Gagner

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I have struggled with what might be an ideal line for Pettersson? If he played pivot this year. I actually really like that line!

Baer Bo Boeser

Roussel Sutter Granlund  (really 3rd line, but with lots of minutes as per match ups?)

Jake Pettersson Eriksson

Schaller Beagle Gaudette     Gagner

That does look quite good. Can't wait for the Canucks to get back on the ice!!