The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Keep this quote... Pull it out in 3 or 4 years... I'm hopefully it ages well!!!!

The funny thing is, you really can’t completely discount the possibility. 

Do I believe Quinn Hughes will be better than the greatest NHL defenseman in history? Probably not. 

Is it possible?

Yeah, it kinda is.

I mean, at this point, a reasonable expectation is that Hughes will eventually lead the league in defensemen scoring, win a Norris (or two or three), and probably lead his team in scoring (including forwards) for at least one season during his career.

Best defenseman in the league, for his era, actually seems a fairly decent probability for Hughes.

So now, the pie in the sky projection, but one still within the realm of possibility, becomes Hughes>Orr.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Do I believe Quinn Hughes will be better than the greatest NHL defenseman in history? Probably not. 

Is it possible?

Yeah, it kinda is.

I mean, at this point, a reasonable expectation is that Hughes will eventually lead the league in defensemen scoring, win a Norris (or two or three), and probably lead his team in scoring (including forwards) for at least one season during his career.

Best defenseman in the league, for his era, actually seems a fairly decent probability for Hughes.

So now, the pie in the sky projection, but one still within the realm of possibility, becomes Hughes>Orr.

Absolutely agree... I was only being half sarcastic (if that makes any sense).  I'm hopeful as well.  It's just blows my mind that it's even in the realm of possibilities... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Wow just wow

this young man is incredible and it’s only his first year. We’ve been Spoiled with great picks over the last 4 years. 

what a great job and pick by Judd Bracket. 

First round always and even the 2nd round often is GMs pick..

Bracket gets credit for rounds 3 thru 7 as GM has less input in those rounds. Bracket made lots of good picks in those rounds.. Rathbone Gaudette McDonoagh are some good examples.. 

BTW huge Judd Bracket guy and wish there was a way they worked things out.. he's in Minny now so it'll be interesting to compare our drafting vs Minny's drafting over the next few years..

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Is it possible?

Yeah, it kinda is.

I suppose with his current trajectory, it's not impossible, but when we speak highly of Hughes' future, we talk about him winning two or three Norris trophies. Recall that Orr won seven, all in a row and finished third in his rookie season. I'm not saying it's impossible, but for Hughes to match Orr's trajectory, he would literally have to win seven Norris trophies in a row, starting next year, and Hughes already isn't top three this year like Orr was in his rookie season.

Not trying to be a downer, but I think some perspective is needed here, as Orr was more than an Erik Karlsson or Duncan Keith level guy. Again, Hughes is absolutely incredible and it's astounding that I find myself not even 100% writing off the comparison, but I think anyone would be nuts to give him anything higher than 1/1000 odds of matching Orr's level.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I suppose with his current trajectory, it's not impossible, but when we speak highly of Hughes' future, we talk about him winning two or three Norris trophies. Recall that Orr won seven, all in a row and finished third in his rookie season. I'm not saying it's impossible, but for Hughes to match Orr's trajectory, he would literally have to win seven Norris trophies in a row, starting next year, and Hughes already isn't top three this year like Orr was in his rookie season.

Not trying to be a downer, but I think some perspective is needed here, as Orr was more than an Erik Karlsson or Duncan Keith level guy. Again, Hughes is absolutely incredible and it's astounding that I find myself not even 100% writing off the comparison, but I think anyone would be nuts to give him anything higher than 1/1000 odds of matching Orr's level.

Totally agree. Like I said at the top of this discussion, I don’t believe Hughes will become literally the best NHL defenseman in history. That would also mean he’d be potentially the best player ever (since Orr tends to range between the #1-3 player all time, so if Hughes>Orr, why not Hughes>Gretzky?).

It’s just amazing that you can’t really say it’s impossible right now. Hughes has the potential to be that good. Highly unlikely, of course, but you can’t really rule it out.

Right now, he’s already the best defenseman in team history. He’s already one of the best Dmen in the NHL. He’s 20 years old and just finished his rookie season. The sky is the limit.

And right now, rookie season to rookie season, he’s been better than Orr. Even comparing 20yo seasons, Hughes compares quite favourably to Orr. 

What his career holds is still unknown. But I can’t say that Hughes>Orr is impossible or outrageous, just unlikely, but still possible.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Right now, he’s already the best defenseman in team history.

I think Hughes is incredible and love watching him.

But I guess I am a bit more subdued than many posters in here. Many awesome players have flamed out hard within a couple of years. Not that I think it would happen to Hughes because he has such elite skills in skating etc. 

But I would slow down the multiple Norris trophy talk until Quin has a bit more time in the role lol.

I look forward to every game he plays though!!

• Cheers 1

I’m sure some of you guys have seen the article on The NHL site but the praise

Tanev heaps on Hughes is pretty significant....

“You guys all know how good he is," defenseman Christopher Tanev said of Hughes. "He's going to be the best defenseman in the League -- if he's not there next year or the year after, he's going to be there soon.

"The way he skates, the way he moves the puck, he's a special player -- and he's going to be the best player around for a long time coming. We're happy he's on our team."

https://www.nhl.com/news/quinn-hughes-helps-vancouver-canucks-advance/c-318336370

edit:  it seems to me like the young guys are also all looking to Tanev off the ice as the big brother figure.... I know you mostly sign players for what they bring in the ice but it’s pretty hard to replace what it looks like Chris has been bringing off the ice. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Wow just wow

this young man is incredible and it’s only his first year. We’ve been Spoiled with great picks over the last 4 years. 

what a great job and pick by Judd Bracket. 

wasnt it weisbord really pushing for him, cause he's close with the hughes family

Edited by TNucks1
  • Cheers 1

Quinn Hughes makes his teammates better.  Makar maybe a bit faster and may have a Slightly better shot but he doesn’t have Quinn’s  vision and playmaking ability.  His creativity with the puck sets him apart from pretty much every other defenceman in the NHL.  
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/quinn-hughes-is-quietly-dominating-the-qualifying-round-nhl-playoffs-2622742

https://imgur.com/Uxo8Hvr

Edited by Pure961089
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Man, I love Hughes as much as the next guy but I think we need to set our sights a little lower than Orr, at least for now. Orr won rookie of the year at 18, won the Norris at 19 despite playing only 46 games, won his 2nd Norris at age 20.......these are all things that Hughes will not be able to do by the same age. Orr was 6th in voting for the Hart as an 18 year old, was 4th in voting as a 19 year old, 3rd in voting as a 20 year old and then won the Hart at 21, 22 and 23.......of these, I guess we can't rule out that Hughes will not win the Hart at 21, 22 and 23 at this point.::D I guess we can't rule out winning the NHL scoring race at 21 as Orr did either.

Maybe we should just start out by comparing Quinn to a plug like Brad Park who didn't break into the NHL till age 20 like Quinn. Park was 2nd in Norris voting (behind Orr) at the age of 21,22 and 23.....maybe the Orr/Park rivalry of those years will be replicated with the Hughes/Makar rivalry......Hughes will play the role of Orr though!!

Well said, Rick.  Way too early to be comparing Hughes (after 1 season) to the greatest D man ever.  Quinn might even reach or surpass some of Orr's stats and maybe even his awards; especially since Orr only played 10 season (only full games in 4 of them).  And then had to walk away from the game in his prime.

We all know that Orr contributed so much more than just his point stats.  He was a tremendous leader on his and was tough as nails.  He also turned Esposito, Hodge and Bucyk into elite players. ::D

I do see a lot of Orr in Quinn's skating, as he weaves through multiple players and takes the puck to wherever he wants.  Hughes is a special player and will blaze his own trail.  He will stand out on his own merit; regardless of what current or past dmen achieve.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well said, Rick.  Way too early to be comparing Hughes (after 1 season) to the greatest D man ever.  Quinn might even reach or surpass some of Orr's stats and maybe even his awards; especially since Orr only played 10 season (only full games in 4 of them).  And then had to walk away from the game in his prime.

We all know that Orr contributed so much more than just his point stats.  He was a tremendous leader on his and was tough as nails.  He also turned Esposito, Hodge and Bucyk into elite players. ::D

I do see a lot of Orr in Quinn's skating, as he weaves through multiple players and takes the puck to wherever he wants.  Hughes is a special player and will blaze his own trail.  He will stand out on his own merit; regardless of what current or past dmen achieve.

Orr took control of the game better than any d-man in the history of the game and whoever would be in 2nd place as a d-man is far, far back. He controlled the game in every aspect, shorthanded, PP and even strength. I once saw Orr literally kill a 2 minute penalty virtually all by himself. He skated the length of the ice, circled around the opposing net, continued down the ice and stood behind his own net and when an opposing player chased him out he simply circled the net and stood there again, very funny to watch actually.

Like you, I see some of the same skills with his skating and he looks more and more like he is going to control the play whenever he is on the ice. I would be perfectly happy if the only player ever to do it better than Quinn was Orr....unbelievably happy actually.

• Cheers 2

It is like the twilight zone reading hfboards Hughes thread.

For the most part they are not crying and whining in that thread like every other hf thread (other than the odd jab at JB like those trolls always do). They are actually kinda positive. Maybe they got their prescriptions figured out.

• Haha 3