The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why not? He's like a forward (or a rover), possesses the puck more than pretty much anyone. How good will he be in 5 years? 

I would love to see it. 

I think Hughes would certainly be one of the few modern NHL D with the potential to get there, but I'm pretty sure the game is very different now than when 100 or more points in a single season was achieved by NHL D.  If I'm not mistaken, only Orr, Coffey, Leetch, Potvin and MacInnis ever made it to that plateau, and that was when scoring in general was much higher.  Leetch is the most recent and that was already almost 30-years ago.  Burns' 83 points in 2018-2019 is the highest point total for an NHL dman since then.

John Carlson was scoring at a 100-point pace for a good chunk of the season but eventually lost that momentum.  He still managed to get to 75 points in 69 games though.  That was an 89-point pace over 82-games.

If Hughes can stay healthy and if he continues to be surrounded by teammates who can put the puck in the net, then I think there's a shot he can get there.  If he gets there, then it will be just another amazing achievement for him.

On 8/9/2020 at 8:27 PM, kloubek said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/08/09/quinn-hughes-just-put-up-the-most-dominant-postseason-series-ever-by-a-canucks-defenseman/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

"And his performance still stands as, in all likelihood, the greatest single series by a defenseman in Vancouver Canucks history."

It is truly amazing that Makar came into the league the exact same time because Quinn really is the best defenseman we have ever had but also soon to become one of the best defensemen in the NHL. To have TWO generational defensemen like that in one draft year is unreal. 

(And yes, given their stats compared to historical d-men, they appear by this point to be just that). We have needed a guy like this for soooooo long. 

Still wouldn't mind another blueliner who can put up some numbers. We have been relying too heavily on Huggy imo.

Edlers been pretty good point wise, if anything we were relying on him too much. Huggy takes a burden off his shoulders

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If I'm not mistaken, only Orr, Coffey, Leetch, Potvin and MacInnis ever made it to that plateau

It's certainly an elite group, but Hughes is super special and I think he';ll join that club one day.

Interesting during the break, I watched a bit of the old games from the 70s and 80s and it was kind of funny. The players didn't have a lot of skill (skating, hands, etc). It was pretty sloppy hockey and the refs hardly called anything. IMO though, I think the goaltending is better today than it was back then. The actual skilled players like Lafleur and Gretzky flourished. In today's NHL, every player has skill. I'd like to see Pettersson and Boeser firing pucks at little Grant Fuhr. See how good he is lol

4 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Edlers been pretty good point wise, if anything we were relying on him too much. Huggy takes a burden off his shoulders

Edler is inconsistent and a good fill-in for that role if nothing else. But yes, we expected way too much from the guy. He has overall delivered quite well for us.

• Cheers 1

It's pretty amazing that Pettersson draws comparisons to Gretzky and Datsyuk, and he's still not even the best young player on the team.

Quinn has best-player-in-the-league type upside. Can't wait to watch him run loose in Round 1 Game 1.

I realize this isn't a time to be looking at contracts, but I really wish we hadn't burned a year off of Hughes' contract for a few meaningless games.

We'll have to re-sign him to a fat contract beginning in 2021 (EP as well), when Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, and Luongo will still be tied up for $15+M for one more year. Considering 2021-2022 might be a a year we start being seen as a "cup contender," that means we may have just wasted around $8M in cap hit (Hughes' possible AAV) that could've been used on a big-name FA, on 10 or so games of Hughes that came too early.

Would have been ideal for Hughes' rookie deal to expire just as Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle's deals and the cap recapture expired. Instead our cap hit will go up like $16-20M from EP and QH's new contracts, and we'll still have those bad contracts on our team with a salary cap that might not be going up anytime soon.

I'd rather have Hughes be good than bad so I guess it's aa good problem to have though!

Edited by Grape

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

one detail you're forgetting tho is by burning that year Hughes is a 10.2(c) RFA - meaning he can't sign an offer sheet. He also won't need protection from the expansion draft. 

I also think Benning is happy to have the "problem' of paying a legit 1D. 

Ahh thank you! That makes me feel a lot better. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Why not? He's like a forward (or a rover), possesses the puck more than pretty much anyone. How good will he be in 5 years? 

The record for most points by a defenseman in a year in the NHL is held by Bobby Orr at 139.  Paul Coffey had seasons in the 120's and 130's on those high flying oiler teams.

You can never say never but with the number of shots being blocked, the big and technically sound goaltenders he would have to face, its highly improbable.  I think his ceiling in points is more likely to be in the  70's or  80's

8 hours ago, Grape said:

I realize this isn't a time to be looking at contracts, but I really wish we hadn't burned a year off of Hughes' contract for a few meaningless games.

We'll have to re-sign him to a fat contract beginning in 2021 (EP as well), when Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, and Luongo will still be tied up for $15+M for one more year. Considering 2021-2022 might be a a year we start being seen as a "cup contender," that means we may have just wasted around $8M in cap hit (Hughes' possible AAV) that could've been used on a big-name FA, on 10 or so games of Hughes that came too early.

Would have been ideal for Hughes' rookie deal to expire just as Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle's deals and the cap recapture expired. Instead our cap hit will go up like $16-20M from EP and QH's new contracts, and we'll still have those bad contracts on our team with a salary cap that might not be going up anytime soon.

I'd rather have Hughes be good than bad so I guess it's aa good problem to have though!

Think one of the reasons were a bit of goodwill shown by Benning in order to ensure there were no second thought of coming to Canucks after University.

While agree it would have been ideal, still better to have the problem now, than not at all....

Edited by spook007

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

The record for most points by a defenseman in a year in the NHL is held by Bobby Orr at 139.  Paul Coffey had seasons in the 120's and 130's on those high flying oiler teams.

You can never say never but with the number of shots being blocked, the big and technically sound goaltenders he would have to face, its highly improbable.  I think his ceiling in points is more likely to be in the  70's or  80's

The most elite offensive defensemen this generation.... Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, Mike Green, John Carlson.... high 70's.  Carlson was probably going into the 80's this season if it wasn't cut short.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1