The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

9 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Here's how I have the draftees ranked, heading into April! Let me know your thoughts.

1. Jack Hughes

2. Kaapo Kakko

3. Vasili Podkolzin

4. Bowen Byram

5. Peyton Krebs

6. Kirby Dach

7. Dylan Cozens

8. Trevor Zegras

9. Matthew Boldy

10. Victor Soderstrom

11. Alex Newhook

12. Philip Broberg

13. Alex Turcotte

14. Cole Caufield

15. Cam York

I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind.

1) How do measure Podkolzin's ability playing in a considerably weak league? Kravtsov has consistently been playing at a higher level than him and outproduced him at younger age and he went 9th overall last year. I know Podkolzin has had a couple of good tournaments this year, but the quality of competition and comparisons don't bode well for him in my mind. I'm wondering if you've seen anything different in you experience that leads you to believe he'll be able to follow the same path as Kravtsov.

2) Turcotte seems to have gained a following now that he's healthy and they seem to have him as a lock for the top 4. You obviously don't agree with this sentiment. Do you not see many high end traits that will translate to the next level?

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Rathbone plays the ride side and it doesn’t look like brassard is getting a contract

Rathbone is a lefty. Pretty sure he normally plays LD and is paired with Adam Fox who is a RD.

But I’d be stoked to find out he plays right side because that is the side we are weak and would be great to improve our depth in that side.

Can anyone confirm this?

3 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Here's how I have the draftees ranked, heading into April! Let me know your thoughts.

1. Jack Hughes

2. Kaapo Kakko

3. Vasili Podkolzin

4. Bowen Byram

5. Peyton Krebs

6. Kirby Dach

7. Dylan Cozens

8. Trevor Zegras

9. Matthew Boldy

10. Victor Soderstrom

11. Alex Newhook

12. Philip Broberg

13. Alex Turcotte

14. Cole Caufield

15. Cam York

While I can agree with most of what you have on the list, I can't seem Krebs going that high personally. He hasn't produced outstanding numbers, he doesn't have size to make up for it and he's not a late birthday. I also think you have Turcotte criminally underrated. He has to be in the top 10 conversation. I also personally don't see Podkolzin going before 6. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, TGokou said:

While I can agree with most of what you have on the list, I can't seem Krebs going that high personally. He hasn't produced outstanding numbers, he doesn't have size to make up for it and he's not a late birthday. I also think you have Turcotte criminally underrated. He has to be in the top 10 conversation. I also personally don't see Podkolzin going before 6. 

Have you watched Krebs play a game? 

Feel like ur just looking at his pts line and that’s all.

facts are he’s a draft eligible player carrying a crap whl team, leads the team in everyway possible. He’s a very impressive player and one of my favorites this draft.

And 5ft 11 180lbs isn’t small for his age. Plus size isn’t an issue in the nhl now many examples of players much much smaller than him having great success in the league

Edited by R3aL

6 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

1. Jack Hughes

2. Kaapo Kakko

3. Vasili Podkolzin

4. Bowen Byram

5. Peyton Krebs

6. Kirby Dach

7. Dylan Cozens

8. Trevor Zegras

9. Matthew Boldy

10. Victor Soderstrom

11. Alex Newhook

12. Philip Broberg

13. Alex Turcotte

14. Cole Caufield

15. Cam York

I haven’t watched podkolzin enough to comment on his rank.

curious what put Dach over Cozens for you? I’ve flip flopped on them a couple times this season. I’m ending with Cozens before him because of his skating and feel he has elevated his play as the season has gone on.

Also would like to know why you have Turcotte so low? 

I remember back few years you were the biggest ehlers fan on here, thought maybe you’d be higher on caufield! :)

i like where you have krebs too im super high on byram and him. 

13 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

1. Jack Hughes

2. Kaapo Kakko

3. Vasili Podkolzin

4. Bowen Byram

5. Peyton Krebs

6. Kirby Dach

7. Dylan Cozens

8. Trevor Zegras

9. Matthew Boldy

10. Victor Soderstrom

11. Alex Newhook

12. Philip Broberg

13. Alex Turcotte

14. Cole Caufield

15. Cam York

Snype daddy! What's good my man. Long time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Boldy is someone that management has been rumored to be high on. He would be a good fit as he addresses a need and could be available at our pick. 

Yeah, Boldy's one of those guys who you can just project being a big-time point producer at the next level. He's a beast.

I'm super high on Soderstrom because of his skating and pace control. His two-way game is elite.

Krebs has the skill, the speed, and the attitude that projects well. He could very well captain whatever team drafts him. He and Podkolzin have that Ehlers kind of "when he's on the ice my head kind of tuuuuuurns that way away from my clipboard/keyboard" draw.

Turcotte is one of the players who took a dip after the whole injury thing for me, but I still love him as a player. I love his vision and how he makes the players around him better. It's just that Soderstrom, Broberg, and Newhook have really caught my eye lately. Turcotte has tremendous potential. He reminds me a bit of Kevin Fiala at the same stage.

Caufield is so sick, but I think I like the package Krebs brings to the table a bit more. My top 15 are pretty interchangeable, but I see them going in that top half of the draft.

Oh to answer someone else's question, Cozens vs. Dach. Dach has that... I don't know. "Kesler"esque win-win-win maul guys over if they're in my way vibe. He's one of those guys you effing hate to play against because he can be so dominant. He's la Jamie Benn type player. He's super competitive, team-first, and play-driving. He's a core cog in Saskatoon's mix. I like Cozens overall but when I watch him play sometimes his reads are just off, sometimes he drifts the wrong way. Perhaps it's unlucky and I've been watching his bad games, but when he's on, he's on. He's going to be a top 6 player for sure.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Went to see the Giants play last night, seemed like Byram was on for half the game. Love his poise with the puck.

With this latest winning streak we might be falling out of position to get him though :/

Not really. Our position in the standings hasn't exactly changed, and if we lose tonight the tank is back on. Especially if Oilers win a couple of games.

Edited by Odd.

Hi SNYPER7

Thanks for the great report. I find it interesting that you find the top 15 interchangeable, as I have come up with the same conclusion. My list differs with you list a little, but not much really. I am not a scout, or a draft guru, but spend way to much time sifting through scouting reports, and video. I have seen some of the players, but not enough to gauge them from personal game time observation.

My main focus has always been the Canucks, and who Benning may go for...….I am think the 9 to 13 spot, and I am quite happy drafting there, if by some bad stretch of luck we don't win the lottery. I found it interesting your thoughts on Dach being Kessler like. I am a Boldy fan myself, as he fits our needs and will be some where in our vicinity at the draft.

I am a little more cautious with Caufield, and his size for our team, as we are developing a smaller quick strike team, and feel we need to keep in mind that, the playoffs are a whole different animal.

I am also a bit of a Seider fan, and have seen some recent evaluations on him that put him up a little higher in the draft then he was at Christmas. 17 years old playing in the DEL is an accomplishment. Internationally, from what I have "read" he has done very well. I don't think he is a starter, but he is looking to be a solid 3/4...I wish we had that second first!

Anyways, here is my list...like I said, very simular

On 3/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

My List

1. Jack Hughes          1. Kakko          The kid reminds me of Kovalchuk, big strong, great shot, an elite force built for the playoffs

2. Kaapo Kakko          2. Hughes        Deffently, Kokko's equal and then some skill wise, but I would take the big body

3. Vasili Podkolzin      3. Podkolzin    I have not seen anything of this guy, but everyone says he is the real deal

4. Bowen Byram         4. Byram          Every game I have watched him, he is dominant, and comes out with points...smart player

5. Peyton Krebs          5. Turcotte       What I have read is he is a little faster, and a little better 200 ft game than Krebs

6. Kirby Dach               6. Krebs          You would not go wrong taking Krebs over Turcotte, I wonder if he had line mates how good he would be?

7. Dylan Cozens           7. Cozens        Big, Fast, quick, and skilled play maker. What's not to like?

8. Trevor Zegras           8. Boldy           Pro-size winger, good first step, high IQ, good shot, sees the ice well, uses his team-mates.

9. Matthew Boldy          9. Dach            Skating is the question mark...not bad, just not great. (evidently Kesler like)

10. Victor Soderstrom   10. Zegras         A good second line center, has been playing better as of late, could have a higher ceiling

11. Alex Newhook          11. York             Solid defender, no real flaws

12. Philip Broberg         12. Soderstrom  Don't know much about him first hand, but reports say he is better than Broberg

13. Alex Turcotte           13. Broberg         See above.......big and strong, needs to work on his own end play

14. Cole Caufield           14. Seider            Love this guy.....just got this feeling he is going to be a better Crankshaft

15. Cam York                  15. Newhook      Lots of talent, doesn't impress Hockey Canada........Mason Raymond?

16. Caufield         Skill, Skill, Skill...............where is the beef?

Well, that is about where I am now...…..the top 8 on my list are all first liners. Some of the later defensemen may slide a little.

I like Harley, Kaliyev, and Lavoie as well. 

If some believes they can get Lavoie to play every game at his top level, he might get pick in the 10 to 16 area

Also think from what I read, is that Kaliyev, has got all the skills and IQ, with a big ceiling, just needs to put it together.

I have seen Haley as high as 10 in a couple of rankings......I am not sure about that, what do you think?

I also think that Lassi Thomson and Albin Grewe are interesting later 1st round picks (choices)

I actually love this draft, seems to be a real question of the exact order in the top 5 to 10 ?

Earlier I agree with you about a top 15ish

But to me, it is a 1a 1b, 3-4, 5-10, 11 -19 ish

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Not really. Our position in the standings hasn't exactly changed, and if we lose tonight the tank is back on. Especially if Oilers win a couple of games.

As of right now we are most likely to pick 8 or 9. And 8 is the highest we can pick if we don't win a lottery spot. Before that we were more in that 6/7 spot.

Obviously that can still change, but our schedule is fairly easy here on out. Not inconceivable we could win more games than we lose here on out & be looking at a 9-10 pick. 

3 hours ago, AC Readership said:

I know nothing about Podkolzin. If he's so good how come he's not in the KHL?

Probably one of if not the best stick handler in the draft class. Great skill game where the NHL is transitioning towards. Production is low compared to his recent Russian peers along with not being in the KHL is a little concerning. However he’s more than the stats confirm. If he falls out of the top 6 he’s likely BPA. That is unless KHL factor comes into play and the gm takes a safer route with a slightly lesser skilled player.

• Upvote 1

Personally my top 10 looks like this:

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Turcotte 

5. Cozens

6. Broberg

7. Dach

8. Boldy

9.  Podkolzin

10. Zegras

If we finish where we are in the standings, I think it's likely we take one of Boldy, Dach, or Podkolzin.  If the draft was today, and we were selecting 8th, my pick would be Podkolzin. This guy IMO has the highest ceiling in the draft other than Hughes. According to EP, Electrifying speed and skill, and plays a hard style of hockey. Button also says he's a complete player. Decent size at 6'1 190lbs, and he's also a natural LW.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Are there many draft eligible players this year that are thought to be NHL ready by  the pro pundits? Not including Hughes or Kakko.

I can definitely see Byram making the NHL next season. Doubt anyone else is.

Edited by Odd.