The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Agree Boldy fits our needs to a tee. Doubt he's still available though.

I'd say its probably 50/50 he's available, teams ahead of us might value defencemen and centers more than a winger. I heard Benning talk about this last draft. Buffalo is one place I could see being very interested in him.  

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Krebs has the intangibles we are looking for but I can’t get over the 19 goals.  He is a guaranteed NHL player but concerned his ceiling is not at the level of Zegras or Newhook.  Regardless we will get a good player and all three are good players.

He scored a team leading 6 goals at the U18 tourny, even though it is under utilized he actually has a really good shot as well. Curious why you dont think his ceiling is as high as Newhook? He is a guy who might not be done growing as well, as his brother is 6'4 203lbs. Not something you can really bank on but could sprout another inch. 

There’s definitely going to be a lot of variations in most teams top 10

i could see a team select Lavoie in the top ten, playoff performances tend to play a factor with scouts 

Kaliev reminds me of Owen Tippet 

dont see the Canucks choosing him 

also a lot of U.S teams selecting ahead of us who most likely have been scouting all the U.S kids for longer then Newhook

Edited by Off_The_Schneid!

49 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I'd say its probably 50/50 he's available, teams ahead of us might value defencemen and centers more than a winger. I heard Benning talk about this last draft. Buffalo is one place I could see being very interested in him.  

*crosses fingers*

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*crosses fingers*

Im still not 100% sold on Boldy, not sure why really because he checks a lot of boxes. I just feel like someone on that U18 development team has to be getting a free ride to the top 10. Being a winger and not having elite skating ability, even though he has a great two way game gives me a gut feeling his value might be slightly inflated. Has played alot with Hughes and Caufield. Wouldn't be upset if we picked him though, as he has great puck skills. 

• Upvote 1

This league is all about skating now.  We need more speed.  I would pick the player that is left at 10 who has the best combination of hockey IQ and speed. I think it might be Krebs at this point, but we will see.  I really don't want to pick a defenseman because we lack quality d prospects.  I really want the bpa.  Our team is set at Goalie, Our team is set at #1 and #2 center, our team is set at #1 RW.  Other than that, we don't know what everyone else will turn out to be. Therefore we need to keep adding the best players possible at any position.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

This league is all about skating now.  We need more speed.  I would pick the player that is left at 10 who has the best combination of hockey IQ and speed. I think it might be Krebs at this point, but we will see.  I really don't want to pick a defenseman because we lack quality d prospects.  I really want the bpa.  Our team is set at Goalie, Our team is set at #1 and #2 center, our team is set at #1 RW.  Other than that, we don't know what everyone else will turn out to be. Therefore we need to keep adding the best players possible at any position.

Good point about BPA.  If the kid is a natural center, and (in a year from now looks like at least a number two) we could move a guy like Bo (I know that’s sacrilege) for a young top D man.  That’s what Columbus did to get Seth Jones.  Always take the BPA on our list in round one.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point about BPA.  If the kid is a natural center, and (in a year from now looks like at least a number two) we could move a guy like Bo (I know that’s sacrilege) for a young top D man.  That’s what Columbus did to get Seth Jones.  Always take the BPA on our list in round one.

Just so I'm clear, if a dman is the bpa, then take him, but not because he's a dman and not because he is right handed.  If you are building a real estate portfolio, you don't buy something because you like the flooring. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Just so I'm clear, if a dman is the bpa, then take him, but not because he's a dman and not because he is right handed.  If you are building a real estate portfolio, you don't buy something because you like the flooring. 

Totally agree.  I’m sure JB has a list, and whichever guy is the highest on his list when we pick at 10 is the one we should take.  

35 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Agreed, we are set in many areas with the need for some of our young players to step up. This coming year will be huge for us. Hughes needs to show he can be a top 4 over the whole year, Juolevi needs to take the next step to the NHL and ideally take minutes away from plugs, Lind, Gadj, Jasek etc. need to show they are pro league players and Demko needs to show his #1 capacity.

_____-Pettersson-Boeser

______-Bo-_______

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Need some top 6 wingers to step up from our ranks or through draft

21 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Hypothetically Speaking

Hughes goes first,
Kakko goes second,

Byram goes third,

Dach goes fourth,
Cozens goes fifth,

Turcotte goes sixth,

Boldy goes seventh,

Caufield goes eighth,

Podkolzin goes ninth...

Who are you picking at 10?

Krebs for me, wouldn't be mad with Newhook or Zegras though

• Like 1

I don't see Byram dropping past Detroit. And Cozens dropping to 10? That'd have me worried about taking him personally considering most of the experts I see has him as a top 5ish guy. Guy has good size, great skating, great shot, and from what I am reading has great hockey sense. Not to mention is a center, a team will take a shot at him well before us for that reason alone. Centers are a hot commodity at the draft. So much so that a guy that wasn't even in anyone's top 10 was drafted top 5 last summer. We shall see though. Draft day anything can happen.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Pretty sure Newhook is the fastest player in the draft and has great IQ. Though I'm comming around on Krebs for his 2 way play. Would like to see more goals from him thou especially playing on that piss poor team shoot the puck!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im still not 100% sold on Boldy, not sure why really because he checks a lot of boxes. I just feel like someone on that U18 development team has to be getting a free ride to the top 10. Being a winger and not having elite skating ability, even though he has a great two way game gives me a gut feeling his value might be slightly inflated. Has played alot with Hughes and Caufield. Wouldn't be upset if we picked him though, as he has great puck skills. 

Boldly, minus the abrasive side, reminds me of Matthew Tjachuk. I poo poo’d him on speed issues. But he has, like Matt, great edge work, balance, protects the puck? Makes plays in tight & in open ice.  Has a great shot, makes saucer passes fore hand & backhand.

To exagerate to make a point, Daniel Sedona did not have great speed. But could also pin guys, had the strength and balance to hold guys off and make plays.

its a skill set of its own, just like speed.

7 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

There is BPA

And there is also scarcity of demand. People don’t trade the best ones. And they don’t usually surface UFA. Same as true 1C’s.

So when, for example, a RHD, RHD being even more rare?  As long as they are in the conversation as BPA. You have to consider that it may take 10 years, or more, to afford your next opportunity. If a RHD is in conversation with a BPA winger, I’m taking him.

That may not be this year though. 

12 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Pretty sure Newhook is the fastest player in the draft and has great IQ. Though I'm comming around on Krebs for his 2 way play. Would like to see more goals from him thou especially playing on that piss poor team shoot the puck!

Jack Hughes is the fastest guy. Turcotte also has wheels. 

Caufield & Zegras agility...

but yes Newhook is quick.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Boldly, minus the abrasive side, reminds me of Matthew Tjachuk. I poo poo’d him on speed issues. But he has, like Matt, great edge work, balance, protects the puck? Makes plays in tight & in open ice.  Has a great shot, makes saucer passes fore hand & backhand.

To exagerate to make a point, Daniel Sedona did not have great speed. But could also pin guys, had the strength and balance to hold guys off and make plays.

its a skill set of its own, just like speed.

There is BPA

And there is also scarcity of demand. People don’t trade the best ones. And they don’t usually surface UFA. Same as true 1C’s.

So when, for example, a RHD, RHD being even more rare?  As long as they are in the conversation as BPA. You have to consider that it may take 10 years, or more, to afford your next opportunity. If a RHD is in conversation with a BPA winger, I’m taking him.

That may not be this year though. 

Jack Hughes is the fastest guy. Turcotte also has wheels. 

Caufield & Zegras agility...

but yes Newhook is quick.

I know splitting hairs here. Jack Hughes is the best skater no question but I betcha newhook is the fastest.

12 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I know splitting hairs here. Jack Hughes is the best skater no question but I betcha newhook is the fastest.

Newhooks top speed has actually been questioned? By Button if I’m not mistaken.  A point Smahing Kaddish took up, discussing a choppy stride?

He remains awfully quick, exceptionally agile, including with the puck.