The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think it's better than DeBrincats was in his draft! That being said I dont think it's the strength you would like to see from a player his size.

Not that it's really relevant, but I think it's really hard to be an elite skater at his size. just as much as it would be if a guy was 6'2 and near 200 pounds

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

What's everyone's take on Alex Newhook at 10? Just seen his stats and they look insane, and his scouting report says he's an offensive force with a lot of speed. Sounds like a nice winger for Petey

I think after this U18 tournament his stock is going to soar. From what I’ve seen of him I would extremely pleased if we picked him at 10. He and Hughes flying around the ice a Rogers Arena for the next decade or so would be very entertaining. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

A recent comparable for Newhook would be Tyson Jost no? Picked 10th overall out of the BCHL, did well in his 1 and only year of college with just over a ppg. Maybe he left College a year too soon and could have benefited from more training ala Boeser.

If we can land a quality D with our 2nd pick or trade for another high 2nd or late 1st I would be interested in taking Newhook. He seems to have great wheels, just needs a couple years before he is ready for the jump possibly. I remember watching Jost and he we quite impressive in the BCHL, I think he can develop into a solid NHLer with the Avs or here's hoping he will. 

My hope is for Krebs, just think he would be dynamite on Bo's or EP40's wing.  Plays a 200 ft game, has the skating, decent size and will grow into  a 6 foot 200lbs player with skill and intangibles.  

That said, there are so many good players that will be around and 10.  Solod picks with lots to like.  I dont know where the dropoff is, but it is well past 15.  

I trust JB to make the right decision. I like the sounds of Boldy and Soderstrom; if JB decides one of the fwds are better than I am ok with that as well. We need both top 6 and top 2 D. I just don't want Caufield. He is a great scorer without a doubt but seeing Johnny G disappear this playoffs has cemented that for me. We already have a slight player in Pettersson, we need to surround him with a little bit of jam. For every Debrincat or Gaudreau there are multiple Shinkaruk's/Schroeder's. I think Caufield could be a great fit somewhere but I don't think he fits our team needs at this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

A recent comparable for Newhook would be Tyson Jost no? Picked 10th overall out of the BCHL, did well in his 1 and only year of college with just over a ppg. Maybe he left College a year too soon and could have benefited from more training ala Boeser.

If we can land a quality D with our 2nd pick or trade for another high 2nd or late 1st I would be interested in taking Newhook. He seems to have great wheels, just needs a couple years before he is ready for the jump possibly. I remember watching Jost and he we quite impressive in the BCHL, I think he can develop into a solid NHLer with the Avs or here's hoping he will. 

He is so much better than Jost. And I'm a big Jost fan he was incredible for the Vees the Vees were also a stacked team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Is Zegras really a much better prospect than Newhook?

They seem like similar players to me.

I think Barzal is a similar player. The way Newhook handles the puck with speed and works the give and go his acceleration is so quick and he squirted through the D to recieve the pass. I take Newhook over Zegras but I'm not super high on Zegras I cant figure out what kind of player he is.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Definitely the type of year you could trade down 5 spots and still come away with an elite player

Say that Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Boldy are expected to be off the board by the time we pick.  I'd think most people would be happy with any of them.  I'm also pretty  sure that there will be a late riser from the U18's (Kalyiev, Broberg, Soderstrom, Caufield) or a surprise pick or two by the time the draft roles around, leaving us with more than one of the 10 listed above.  I also think that Lavoie, Suzuki or Harley could surprise and creep up into the top 10.

Either way, my point is that at 10, you have one of the 10 I listed above, or you then get your pick of the next tier, which I trust JB will get us another stud. If you trade to the 15th pick, you get what is left.  I'd rather JB have his choice.

Edited by BCNate
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think Barzal is a similar player. The way Newhook handles the puck with speed and works the give and go his acceleration is so quick and he squirted through the D to recieve the pass. I take Newhook over Zegras but I'm not super high on Zegras I cant figure out what kind of player he is.  

I really like Barzal.  I don't see the same skating and skill level in Newhook.  Barzal has the classic hockey lower base: bowed legs, and super strong lower body.  Newhook doesn't have that same strength of base.  Nice player, but not going to light the league on fire IMO. 

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think much like the Pettersson draft you gotta get your man I would hate JB to gamble and watch his guy go off the board. MTL and Arizona could have traded down and gotten Kotkaniemi and Hayton but they didnt and both Hayton and Kotkaniemi appear to be paying dividends. Trust your scouting staff ours has been fantastic if they say this is our guy and throw their full support behind it dont gamble. Take him. And be happy he was still there with your pick. If your team is relying on rankings to make their picks you're doomed. 

your not wrong, but considering Benning often goes off the boards or the unexpected route with picks I think theres a high chance he likes a player ranked lower in most draft rankings. Like a Seider, Newhook or Soderstrom type

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

your not wrong, but considering Benning often goes off the boards or the unexpected route with picks I think theres a high chance he likes a player ranked lower in most draft rankings. Like a Seider, Newhook or Soderstrom type

Cool I hope he gets his guy. I'm on the Sieder Newhook train hey we might luck out with Sieder the way we did with Woo they are actually both ranked around the same during their draft year. I think Woo was supposed to be a top 15 pick but got injured. Maybe Sieder drops due to lack of scouting it's not like there is anyone else to see in Germany so I cant imagine scouts seeing him repeatedly. Teams probably saw him a handful of times and might be wary to use a first on a guy who is still an unknown.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really like Barzal.  I don't see the same skating and skill level in Newhook.  Barzal has the classic hockey lower base: bowed legs, and super strong lower body.  Newhook doesn't have that same strength of base.  Nice player, but not going to light the league on fire IMO. 

I think at least 14 other GMs thought Barzal wouldnt translate either. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

These guys have:
1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Podkolzin

4. Cozens

5. Dach

6. Turcotte

7. Zegras

8. Soderstrom

9. Broberg

10. Bowen Byram

11. Boldy

12. Harley

13. Knight

14. Krebs

15. Lavoie

Why in the world Edmonton would take Soderstrom there and why in the world Anaheim would take Broberg there?

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

These guys have:
1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Podkolzin

4. Cozens

5. Dach

6. Turcotte

7. Zegras

8. Soderstrom

9. Broberg

10. Bowen Byram

11. Boldy

12. Harley

13. Knight

14. Krebs

15. Lavoie

Why in the world Edmonton would take Soderstrom there and why in the world Anaheim would take Broberg there?

Hey this looks legit! Dont mock the mock that has us taking Byram at 10.

LOL Case McCarthy in the 4th round.

Beecher in the 2nd though I think I could get onboard with that!

Edited by hammertime

21 hours ago, hammertime said:

I have some time to kill figured I'd do a mock draft for fun.

#1 NJ Kappo Kakko I think they pass on Hughes they already drafted a lil speedy guy 1st OA I don't think they do it twice but I could be wrong. If they do I think they look at trading Nicco.

#2 NY Hughes can't go wrong either way with Kakko or Hughes here.

#3 Chi I think it's either gonna be Dach or Cozens here they need their big C of the future today I'm gonna go with Cozens. Their probably not super Keen to wait for Podkolzin to finish out his KHL contract. Their mandate will be to get back into the playoffs ASAP.

#4 AVS  Podkolzin they have the ability to wait on him with their already impressive core. Podkolzin has the highest upside and they can afford to bake him properly.

#5 LA back to Dach/Cozens both of these players scream LA style they would have a great group of mentorship there to take them to the next level. Since I have Chi taking Cozens, Dach is the logical choice and he would fit so nicely there. They won cups with this template 

#6 DET Byram Winner winner Chicken dinner there is no way he falls past DET the players above may go in some other order but I think Byram makes it to Detroit who has roast beef and goes wee weee weee all the way home. 

#7 Buff here's where it starts to get murky I think their going to be looking for their counterpoint to Jack Eichel if their looking for his future winger I think it will be Krebs here. If it's a 2C their after I think Turcotte with be their man. I'm leaning towards Turcotte. 

#8 Oil they need a winger not later like right now I think they are watching the playoffs Lavoi is having and drooling. They will plunk him into the NHL next year like they always do. Maybe he's the right answer maybe they ruin his development. Lavoi with his size, speed, offensive ability and pugnacity seems like a very good match for McD. 

#9 Dux They will be looking to rebound quickly their core is aging but I don't think they are ready to go full rebuild yet I think they will either choose Boldy or Soderstrom and look to get them in the show asap. I'm leaning towards Soderstrom as their RHD seems weakest.  

#10 well whats left Newhook, Caufield are the home run swings, Krebs, Boldy, Zegras if JB is afraid to go off the board each would be very good picks and easily justifiable, finally if JB is drafting for positional need RHD Sieder and Soderstrom fit the bill. I like it when JB swings for the fences so Newhook is my guy however I would also be very happy with any of the other 6 named players in order I would have them. Newhook, Boldy, Krebs, Sieder, Zegras, Soderstrom, Caufield. I would also put an asterix next to Kaliyev here I'm not sure he is the best fit for the Canucks but I have a feeling he is going to be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL. I don't think the Canucks have the type of players yet to get him there. But there are teams that do. If he drops into the 20's watch out. 

Finally the players I am really hoping to drop are Podkolzin possible Russian factor and he's signed in the KHL, Byram for obvious reasons, Dach Elias Dach Bo down the middle are how cups are won, Turcotte see above,  Boldy I think with his IQ he could be the perfect complementary winger to the onslaught of Hughes, EP, Boeser. 

If we have a chance at Zegras, I really hope we jump all over.  Kid is crazy talented.  If he wasn't behind Jack Hughes, and was playing top line minutes, I think he'd be a lock for top 5.

• Upvote 1