The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Here is a Moritz Seider article that just came out from EPrinkside:

ROBENHYMER: Moritz Seider Flying Under the Radar at Worlds; Just How He Likes It

BRATISLAVA, Slovakia — With all the attention around Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko at the 2019 IIHF World Championship taking place in Slovakia this month, there’s another top prospect that will be selected in the upcoming NHL Draft happily flying under the radar.

Moritz Seider of Germany is ranked No. 6 among European skaters by NHL Central Scouting and will likely be selected in the Top 20 on June 21st at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, maybe even higher.

The Elite Prospects Top 93 Skaters in the NHL Entry Draft ranking had Seider as the 17th-best prospect for their April rankings.

“I like that they are here. It takes a lot of pressure away from me,” the 18-year-old right-shot defenseman Seider said with a big smile. “Those guys challenging each other is great. They are unbelievable players. They’re so skilled and they put on a show every single night. They deserve the spotlight, but I am happy to be just playing hockey.”

‘Just playing hockey’ is quite the understatement as the 6-foot-4, 200-pound Mannheim native continues to turn heads with every shift, including those of his teammates with the national team.

“He plays way older than 18,” stated Korbinian Holzer, who has spent the past nine years playing in North America, most recently for the Anaheim Ducks. “He’s a really good player. Very smart, very humble. He isn’t afraid to join the offensive rush, plays a solid game and looks very comfortable out there.”

Germany’s head coach Toni Soderholm said Seider has more potential than most players his age and credits his ability to rise to a challenge and adapt quickly to the next level to his success both at the pro level with Mannheim of the DEL this year and with the national team at the world championship.

“If you see where Moritz started at this year to where he is now, he’s improved pretty quick,” Soderholm said. “He’s very mature. He works hard. He’s got good vision. He’s calm with the puck, sometimes a little bit too calm. He reads the gap of when to play quick and when to be more patient. I think he’s only going to get stronger. He seems very confident and he seems very committed. There’s no hesitation. He’s going to be a real good player.”

Seider considers himself to be a smart two-way defenseman who loves to join the rush and play in the offensive zone, has a good first pass and likes to play the body too. He’s doing his best to not only showcase those skills against some of the best players in the world, but utilize them to help Team Germany remain undefeated in the preliminary round.

“It’s such a great thing to be part of the national team,” he said. “I think every little kid who plays hockey thinks about that. So, I’m very proud to be part of it. It’s been an unreal season for me. It was my first pro hockey season and we won the championship and now I’m with the national team. I’m just happy.

“I want to get better every day,” Seider continued. “And, this is a perfect opportunity to get better and play with some of the best players in the world. It’s a challenge for me right now, but one that I want to accept. I mean, you watch guys like Draisaitl and Kahun in the NHL and now you’re sitting right next to them. It’s crazy.”

Seider, who has two goals so far in the tournament, said his biggest takeaway at this point is that you can’t cheat anymore. The talent level is too high and you have to be strong positionally. But according to Soderholm, it’s that kind of self-assessment and work ethic that will help him go far.

“He has a work first attitude and he’s so confident, not only in what he can do, but in what he can learn to do,” the coach explained. “We weren’t sure a few months ago if he would be ready to play here, but he’s worked on a lot of things and improved a lot in a short amount of time. He’s just so diligent with his work and I hope it gets noticed by more people because if he can keep that kind of confidence and play that way and practice that way at the next level, his potential is limitless.

“I actually think that’s one of his best attributes,” Soderholm continued. “He gets better every day.”

As Seider prepares for the rest of the tournament, he’s also preparing for the next step in his career with humility of someone flying low under the radar.

“I want to learn as much as possible while I am here,” he said. “Not everyone gets this opportunity to be here, especially at this point in their careers, and I want to make the most of it. I want to play in the NHL. So, I just want to elevate my game, every day, step by step and hopefully, I will get there.”

Also, after a lot of deliberating I believe I have my go-to #2nd round pick assuming he is still available at #40. Of course I still reserve the right to change my mind any time before the draft lol.

Nicholas Robertson LW, of the Peterborough Petes

55 points 27G  28A in 54 games 5'9'' 168lbs

Has excellent passing ability and is a feisty hard-working forward that isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. Plays beyond his size. Perhaps most importantly he is also one of the youngest draft-eligibles with a Sep 11th birthday which gives him plenty of time to develop. Apparently his skating is below average, and is probably the one thing he has to work on the most but I also believe if he improves this one aspect of his game he can become a dominant player in the NHL. 19 of his points were on the PP which means he didn't primarily generate all his points with the man-advantage.  His brother, drafted in 2017, Jason Robertson led the OHL in scoring this season with 117 points in 62 games but he also has a 6'2'' frame. If we are lucky, Nicholas will also gain a couple inches post-draft as once again he is one of the youngest draft-eligibles. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks have the beginnings of a nice future core with Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi, Hughes and Demko. There are a few other players that you could add to that list, but not sure yet (Virtanen, Gaudette, Goldobin, Woo). They also have some good support players developing, but it's unknown if they'll play in the NHL regularly (Gadjovich, Madden, MacEwen, Lind, Jasek, Lockwood, Brisebois, Rathbone, DiPietro).

I have no idea who Benning might pick with the #10, or if he trades up or down, but he will get another key piece to add to the core. Maybe two (I hope Benning can manage to get another 1st). My choices change all the time. The Canucks need 2-3 elite pieces. If Benning can get an extra 1st and nails the 2nd, that could fast-forward things. 

Agreed, you can see the start of a consistent playoff contender. Moving forward we are set down the centre, LD and goal but we need a major improvement on our wings and RD.

If we could add a Seider with our 1st and Hoglander with our 2nd we'd have much better depth moving forward.

41 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I agree Krebs looks great, but could be a big reason he was in on so many points was the fact u already stated , that he was on a bad team. 

Still, if he was on a better team his numbers would be higher as his team would score a lot. I prefer a guy who drives play and creates than a guy who may look good from being on a good team. The reality is, if he’s contributing to 40% of this team’s points combined with 70% being primary points - he’s driving the bus, creating. We need that. Good read here https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.milehighhockey.com/platform/amp/2019/5/17/18616661/2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-peyton-krebs-scouting-report

• Upvote 2

On 5/18/2019 at 4:06 PM, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Markstrom passed a threshold thanks to Ian Clark.  Demko will benefit from playing a back up role next season and DiPietro can only benefit from a year in Utica.  I’d say our goaltending hasn’t looked this good since Lou and Schneider shared the crease.  Goaltending is the least of our concerns!

Idk what you're watching, Markstrom looked shaky and Demko is creeping to bust status. Comparing these two sieves to a legend like Luongo is a slap to the face. 

• Haha 3
  • Wat 5

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I'd actually do something similar to this. Maybe...

To MTL- #10 + Tanev + Brisebois

To VAN- #15 + 2020 1st + 2019 CBJ 2nd

What an overpayment by Montreal. Tanev is worth a third rounder and Brisebois is waiver fodder. 

1 hour ago, artemchubarov said:

Idk what you're watching, Markstrom looked shaky and Demko is creeping to bust status. Comparing these two sieves to a legend like Luongo is a slap to the face. 

Shoooooo  

go back under the bridge!

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

....troll. go somewhere else 

Like hfboards Edmonton? Let me guess, just cause I think Green is a horrible coach I must be an Oilers fan? No, I've been with this team since 2017 and I don't intend on leaving until at least next April if we are not in the playoffs. 

Edited by artemchubarov
  • Haha 4
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, artemchubarov said:

Like hfboards Edmonton? Let me guess, just cause I think Green is a horrible coach I must be an Oilers fan? No, I've been with this team since 2017 and I don't intend on leaving until at least next April if we are not in the playoffs. 

So you’re new to hockey and know absolutely nothing about it. That would make sense. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pears said:

So you’re new to hockey and know absolutely nothing about it. That would make sense. 

I know. I read that and thought “his two years experience watching canucks” and now hes throwing down?

Luongo wasnt on the canucks in 17, let alone chubarov. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Still, if he was on a better team his numbers would be higher as his team would score a lot. I prefer a guy who drives play and creates than a guy who may look good from being on a good team. The reality is, if he’s contributing to 40% of this team’s points combined with 70% being primary points - he’s driving the bus, creating. We need that. Good read here https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.milehighhockey.com/platform/amp/2019/5/17/18616661/2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-peyton-krebs-scouting-report

Very true . Good point . 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Looking at the last game between St Louis and SJ, Caufield came off my list of options.  Just not fast enough to be a small player in the league, IMO.  

Caufield looked great on Hughes' wing at the U18 - but who wouldn't? He had a field day in that tourney. But he is small and his skating is a concern. Watching these playoffs, they are brutal and physical every year. I'm actually really proud of our Canucks for making it there the last time (2011) It is grueling. I also wonder if Caufield will have any impact when he's facing the leagues best D and goaltenders, especially in the playoffs. One thing he seems to be good at though, is being elusive and finding open space. But can he do that in the NHL?

Question - Do the Canucks still have Dmitry Zhukenov, Kyle Pettit and Richard Bachman in the system?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I know. I read that and thought “his two years experience watching canucks” and now hes throwing down?

Luongo wasnt on the canucks in 17, let alone chubarov. 

When was Chubarov even on our team.. like 12 years ago i'd wager? He is such an obscure player in our history, to even be aware of him you have to be at least in your mid 20s. If you are trolling at that age your life is pretty sad.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Zhukenov and Bachman yes; Pettit no. Zhukenov indefinite and Bachmann one more year under contract

Oh thanks! I have a list of all of the players, but there are some on there I have no idea if they're even still in the Canucks' system.

So, are the Comets' goalies Bachman and Mazanec?

Rafferty and Teves were only signed until the end of the 2018/19 season. Any idea if they'll be re-signed, or do they walk?

I noticed Mitch Eliot did very well a\with Sarnia this past season (55 points in 66 games). I'm assuming he'll head to Utica next season with Woo?

Cap friendly has all of that info but for players like Zhukenov you have to look at the reserve list to get their status. As for Mazanec; I believe he has signed with a team in Europe for next season. He would have been a FA on July 1st.

Comets goalies for next season are likely to be Bachman and  Dipietro; with Kielly and possibly Kulbakov playing in the ECHL as call ups.

Rafferty and Teves will most certainly be re-signed and Eliot will likely play in Utica next year. I think Woo can not play in Utica next year because of his age (must be 20) so it remains to be seen what they decide to do with him. Calgary Hitmen of the WHL traded for him so most likely he will play there unless he makes the Canucks out of camp which I think is unlikely.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 1