The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Given most here are not very knowledgable of the players in the draft (not in a bad way, none of us have scouted them, watched them alot, are really able to compare), and pretty much all of us have only read articles, scouting reports and watched some clips on youtube, I am happy we have Bracket and Benning to make the picks. They have shown the strategy they've taken in their drafting to be quite effective. In years such as this, where 3-12 or further is such a guessing game, the skill of scouting departments will really matter. For me, I don't know much about any of the players as I have only done the above but whom I'm intrigued and not intrigued about are the following

Caulfield - love the hands, not the size AND lack of speed. If you're that small, you need to be more than one dimensional, and speed is key. We've seen the game changes in the playoffs. He is high risk high reward but given the mix of our team we can't afford the risk. I don't think you can call him a BPA at ten given the combination of skill and size of other players. He's also a 'complimentary' player, we are in need of a play driver / play maker upfront, not just a sniper. We lack creativity and players who can maintain puck control upfront other than Petey, for me he's a pass

Broberg - This kid has size, speed, smart defensively. I have heard questions on his hockey IQ but haven't seen enough to make my own judgements. All I know is when he's playing best on best at his age, he shines. As a left D however, he's a bit redundant for us as we are loaded on that side. Doesn't separate himself to be the BPA imho, but if Gradin likes him, I'd be happy with the choice

Seider - Wildcard - I've liked this guy for a long time given his incredible toolbox. A RD with size, can skate, and plays physical. Could he be BETTER all around than Byram, maybe. He's playing against men, has the "euro discount" of not enough eyes on him, and as always, euros unless they are immensely superior (Aka Ovechkin) always are ranked lower than North Americans. It's why we got Petey. I would be very happy to see if this is the route we take, even if he's 'off the board'. Why? Because if its a reach, then our scouting team KNOWS this kid is a gem.

Cam York - Another LD but seems to do everything really well.

Newhook - looked very good at the u18s. I haven't seen much of him, and it worries me a bit he may be over rated by people here but again, if our scouts like him, given his numbers, toolbox, skating ability, I'd be a happy with it.

Soderstrom - RD, fills a need, but from what I've seen of clips seems to be not 'great' at anything just good at everything. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of him but he feels like a 'Blah" overly safe pick. That being said, a higher floor and lower cieling given our issues on RD isn't a bad thing. But when I look at the RD's available at our pick, I still drool on the potential of Seider. Again, I trust Gradin immensely, if he thinks this is our guy, then he's going to be good.

Regardless of who we pick, I think there will be alot of players chosen between 5-20 who could challenge to be the best in the draft after the top 2 who are sure bets. The draft is just that tight this year, it would be nice to see JB find a way to swing another mid to late 1st rounder without giving up any youth (ie move Tanev+ Sutter and maybe depth player that a team who wants to make a run next year, could use).

Your thoughts on Boldy, Zegras or Krebs?  I’m a big fan of all three.  How would you rank them?

16 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Your thoughts on Boldy, Zegras or Krebs?  I’m a big fan of all three.  How would you rank them?

I'd go Zegras first given the elite skill, but its close second for Krebs, I think he's highly under rated given the team he played on, and I would love to see him fall to us, but I  do think those two will be gone. That would put Boldy third but I love his play and would be happy with him as well. Zegras and Krebs are 'play drivers' and we really need that up front, and both are left handed centers (can't have enough centers) who could fill one of the holes in our top 6 on LW. Either would be fantastic, and as I said, I'd be pleasantly surprised to see them drop to us but I doubt they will. Boldy while not a play driver is an effective, big LW who can score. He's a complimentary player and I wonder if its him or a dman, much like some other players, there isn't enough to say he's the BPA over say a Broberg, a Seider, or York, Soderstrom.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder, if Benning were to make it known his interest in Lavoie, if MTL would make an offer to move up to #10. I believe MTL really wants this guy. I wouldn't be upset if we got him either, but maybe Benning could draft Newhook or Harley at #15? Not to mention what MTL would give to move up 5 spots, to get their man. I'll assume MTL would eventually want a Kotkaniemi - Lavoie one-two punch at C.  

to MTL - #10 and Tanev

to VAN - #15, 1st (2020), Domi

I'd actually do something similar to this. Maybe...

To MTL- #10 + Tanev + Brisebois

To VAN- #15 + 2020 1st + 2019 CBJ 2nd

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder, if Benning were to make it known his interest in Lavoie, if MTL would make an offer to move up to #10. I believe MTL really wants this guy. I wouldn't be upset if we got him either, but maybe Benning could draft Newhook or Harley at #15? Not to mention what MTL would give to move up 5 spots, to get their man. I'll assume MTL would eventually want a Kotkaniemi - Lavoie one-two punch at C.  

to MTL - #10 and Tanev

to VAN - #15, 1st (2020), Domi

That's a brutal trade for Montreal lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, CoolCanucklehead said:

100%.

Why do people think he's going to show his exact list?

Maybe he's trying to get other teams to jump on a D or 2 so JB gets his forward he's after? Or???

This is like poker except it's higher than the highest stakes poker game.

And JB & Co. are the only ones who can see the cards. Just like the aces he had in Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, etc. 

At 10 I'm confident JB has got another Ace in his hands...

The Ace in his JB hands

benning-all-in.png

• Haha 4
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I'd go Zegras first given the elite skill, but its close second for Krebs, I think he's highly under rated given the team he played on, and I would love to see him fall to us, but I  do think those two will be gone. That would put Boldy third but I love his play and would be happy with him as well. Zegras and Krebs are 'play drivers' and we really need that up front, and both are left handed centers (can't have enough centers) who could fill one of the holes in our top 6 on LW. Either would be fantastic, and as I said, I'd be pleasantly surprised to see them drop to us but I doubt they will. Boldy while not a play driver is an effective, big LW who can score. He's a complimentary player and I wonder if its him or a dman, much like some other players, there isn't enough to say he's the BPA over say a Broberg, a Seider, or York, Soderstrom.

I appreciate your last two well thought out ( and non preachy ) posts. I have to agree with you for the most part. I still suspect one of those forwards { that you describe as play driving ) will slip to ten. God Knows!!! This is the most confusing draft that I can remember.

• Upvote 1

don't trade down, big gamble after 10, there are clearly 7-8 players that after 3 that could be worthy of the 4 spot - no particular order

4.Dach

5.Cozens

6.Turcotte

7.Zegras

8.Boldy

9. Krebs

10.Caufield

11.Podkolzin

I really have no idea who the Canucks will pick, I personally like Krebs, Turcotte, Boldy, Zegras in that order, not huge fan of Caufield. I was really high on Seider until he got smoked at the WC- did he ever come back? is he injured? I bet EDM considers taking a d man to be a future top pairing with Bouchard, 

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Yes please for some Seider! 

I was on the seider train until he got nailed and is now out of the tournament ... now I think too small a sample size for anyone to know how good he is, although he showed very very well in the 4 games he did play with 2 goals that were both great plays on his part 

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I was on the seider train until he got nailed and is now out of the tournament ... now I think too small a sample size for anyone to know how good he is, although he showed very very well in the 4 games he did play with 2 goals that were both great plays on his part 

if Krebs/turcotte/boldy/zegras/dach are gone, I would consider trading down, pick up an extra 2nd and pick seider in the 12-14 range

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watching Quinn Hughes, it's obvious he's a great skater, very good on the PP, provides offense, etc. But his D-game is lacking at times. He needs a solid top pairing defensive D-man with him. Looking ahead, maybe Woo is that guy? Maybe Tryamkin comes back and is worthy of playing with Hughes? A couple of maybes. Canucks still need more on D, better D. They can't rely on a backend of mediocre players.

Edler - 3rd

Tanev - Undrafted

Stecher - Undrafted

Hutton - 5th

Biega - 5th

Brisebois - 3rd

Rafferty - Undrafted

Teves - Undrafted

Sautner - Undrafted

Chatfield - Undrafted

Rathbone - 4th (but he could surprise)

Hughes, Juolevi and Woo are a really good start, but they need major upgrades to the talent pool. I think the forwards are very intriguing this year, but there should still be good forwards in the 2nd and 3rd.  Canucks need another high-end D. Seider is an interesting thought, but he's been injured before and was injured again at the World's. Canucks don't need another Salo/Tanev type of injury prone Dman. Broberg could be an interesting pick. He has size and speed, playing against men. Harley could be a good partner for Hughes. He also has size and skates well. I think the most responsible defender could be Bjornfot. 

BPA all the way. It’s never a good idea, imo, to base your highest pick on a position. You take the guy you think will have the most successful career, regardless of team need. The latter rounds are a different story. 

Edited by guntrix

3 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

i have a feeling we will trade up in draft

I have a feeling the Nucks acquire a late 1st.  I'm thinking that NYR are really wanting rid of Shattenkirk's 6.5 x 2yr contract.  JB takes the cap dump in in exchange for NYR (Jets) 20th overall.  Probably need to sweeten the pot, but not by a whole lot.

NYR are going for the big splash this offseason and will need the extra cap space.  They also have a huge #  of young prospects that are coming up quickly.

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Would be a mistake given how 4-10 is a wash. 

I agree, especially given the fact it will probably cost a significant amount. Take the player you’re comfortable with at 10 and keep plugging away at building solid depth. 

Edit:  I should qualify that... if there’s a guy they’re really sold on and all it costs is our pick plus a second (at most) I wouldn’t be utterly opposed to it, but definitely lean hard towards standing pat. 

Edited by J-Dizzle

The Canucks have the beginnings of a nice future core with Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi, Hughes and Demko. There are a few other players that you could add to that list, but not sure yet (Virtanen, Gaudette, Goldobin, Woo). They also have some good support players developing, but it's unknown if they'll play in the NHL regularly (Gadjovich, Madden, MacEwen, Lind, Jasek, Lockwood, Brisebois, Rathbone, DiPietro).

I have no idea who Benning might pick with the #10, or if he trades up or down, but he will get another key piece to add to the core. Maybe two (I hope Benning can manage to get another 1st). My choices change all the time. The Canucks need 2-3 elite pieces. If Benning can get an extra 1st and nails the 2nd, that could fast-forward things. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mad Jon said:

I appreciate your last two well thought out ( and non preachy ) posts. I have to agree with you for the most part. I still suspect one of those forwards { that you describe as play driving ) will slip to ten. God Knows!!! This is the most confusing draft that I can remember.

Yes I looked at the rankings again, I agree there’s a good chance one of Zegras or Krebs falls to us. I think it will be the latter but should either it’s a no brainer. I really like Krebs in the ten spot, seems to have all the qualities we need, great skater, decent size, hockey IQ and apparently high character. Sounds like a JB type pick. Apparently he was in on over 40% of his teams points (one of the highest in the top 10 ranked), majority at 5 on 5 and 70% were primary points. He was on a very bad team that couldn’t score and this held down his stats many think. He was stellar at the u18s playing w talent. I’d be curious to know those numbers for zegras and how much help he had vs Krebs. The more I read on Krebs the more I think he could be a steal at 10. The fact it’s so hard makes me really want JB to get Florida’s #13 as well

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Yes I looked at the rankings again, I agree there’s a good chance one of Zegras or Krebs falls to us. I think it will be the latter but should either it’s a no brainer. I really like Krebs in the ten spot, seems to have all the qualities we need, great skater, decent size, hockey IQ and apparently high character. Sounds like a JB type pick. Apparently he was in on over 40% of his teams points (one of the highest in the top 10 ranked), majority at 5 on 5 and 70% were primary points. He was on a very bad team that couldn’t score and this held down his stats many think. He was stellar at the u18s playing w talent. I’d be curious to know those numbers for zegras and how much help he had vs Krebs. The more I read on Krebs the more I think he could be a steal at 10

I agree Krebs looks great, but could be a big reason he was in on so many points was the fact u already stated , that he was on a bad team.