The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

The only thing that disappoints me with Dach is that he doesn't really play a physical or a gritty game for a guy gifted with his size. 

What's insane though is his incredible reach. Dach has an enormous wingspan which allows him to pick pocket and intercept passes from the neutral zone as well as being able to cradle the puck without really needing to take extra steps. He takes very long strides. He reminds me of Getzlaf in that regard. Definitely does not have the same grit or physicals. 

I think we'll see Kirby Dach in the NHL next season, or the season after for sure. He's easily the 3rd best player in the draft. I can see him putting up similar numbers that Kotkaniemi is putting up in his rookie season.

That being said, lately, he's slowed down  in his point production, and that may or may not be a cause for concern.

1 point in last 9 games

Dream Draft

R1 #2 Kakko RW

R1 #15-20 Seider RHD_______I think this guy has huge upside. Trade Edler, Sutter or Tanev for a first.

R2 #31-40 Thomson RHD

R3 #62-70 Hugo Has RHD

Load up on RHD and hope they develop well and quickly. Kakko would slot right into a top 6 RW spot perhaps next year. 2-3 years down the road we could see an elite team all around, with depth.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Boeser

Goldy/Baer-Horvat-Kakko

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Hutton-Seider

Demko

• Upvote 3

German D-Men in the NHL               NHL games             most memorable moments           Team

Uwe Krupp                                            729                    Stanley Cup Champion 1996        Colorado

Dennis Seidenberg                               859                    Stanley Cup Champion 2011        Boston Bruins

Christian Ehrhoff                                  789                     Stanley Cup Final 2011                Vancouver Canucks

Moritz Seider                                      ?                         ?                                                 ?

Any Questions, folks?

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

It would be awesome if we could get a second 1st round pick. Two of Soderstrom, Thomson, Foote, Newhook, Honka or Seider if we pick around 14th and 28th would be great. I would go BPA with the first pick and draft for positional need with the second pick unless there is a clear pick that dropped. 

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It would be awesome if we could get a second 1st round pick. Two of Soderstrom, Thomson, Foote, Newhook, Honka or Seider if we pick around 14th and 28th would be great. I would go BPA with the first pick and draft for positional need with the second pick unless there is a clear pick that dropped. 

Ill be disappointed if we don't sell at the deadline. Trade Edler (if he'll waive) and Sutter which should net us another 1st and 2nd round pick. We will fall off somewhat at the end of the year as rookie allstar Pettersson may have a hard time playing a full 82 game schedule and injuries are inevitable with this team. top 10 pick go with BPA and then draft a RHD with the second first. Hopefully Seider....

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I'd be ok with Foote as we could use the LW depth. If we got a late first rounder, I'd like to see McCarthy considered. Also depending on where we select in the 2nd, or if he's still there in the 3rd, I wouldn't mind having a look at Grayson Ladd.

51 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ill be disappointed if we don't sell at the deadline. Trade Edler (if he'll waive) and Sutter which should net us another 1st and 2nd round pick. We will fall off somewhat at the end of the year as rookie allstar Pettersson may have a hard time playing a full 82 game schedule and injuries are inevitable with this team. top 10 pick go with BPA and then draft a RHD with the second first. Hopefully Seider....

Ep shouldnt be a problem. He played pretty much a full nhl season between last year between shl, champions league, and team sweden. 

Would like a  rhd, if available with our second, but if a guy like york or broberg starts dropping, then i would seriously have to give them more consideration over honka, soderstrom or seider. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I thought Kakko looked a lot better than Hughes and this tourney might open some eyes to what some have been saying.......that Hughes isn't a lock for 1st overall.

Really? To be honest neither of them have really stood out to me. It's too bad because at last year's WJC draft eligibles like Zadina, Dahlin and even Quinn made an impression pretty quickly. I'm hoping Jack and Kappo really pick it up or they may really not be locks for the top 2 by the 2019 Draft...

4 minutes ago, Specz said:

Really? To be honest neither of them have really stood out to me. It's too bad because at last year's WJC draft eligibles like Zadina, Dahlin and even Quinn made an impression pretty quickly. I'm hoping Jack and Kappo really pick it up or they may really not be locks for the top 2 by the 2019 Draft...

I thought Kappo was the only Fin who even remotely looked like an offensive threat last night against a Swedish team built for a defensive style.  Hughes looked chaotic and mostly ineffective against a team they should have run all over.

It'll be interesting to watch them both as the tourney goes on

Alright so some general thoughts on the game that Sweden beat Finland 2-1 last night:

- Sweden had the advantage in play most of the game. They played a disciplined game and didn't give Finland any chance to breath. 

- Special teams was the biggest difference as Sweden scored 2 powerplay goals. Brannstrom scored them both and looked very dangerous, almost had a hat trick. 

- The top line for Finland controlled play when they were on. Kupari specifically was tough to contain. Jokiharju and Vaakainen were great on the back end.

- The backend for Sweden was a clear strength all night. Boqvist took a lot of shots and created a great chance that the Finnish goalie robbed Sweden on early on. Brannstrom was deadly and Sandin looked good too.

Now that some background has been provided, here are my thoughts on Kakko:

He didn't attract as much attention as Kupari did by carrying the puck all night and didn't get as many cheers from the crowd, but he was effective all night. There was one shift where he outmaneuvered two Swedish defenseman out of the corner and retained possession. It was impressive to see someone with that size with that kind of agility down low. He made a similar play where he stripped the Swedish defenseman and then tried to stuff it in, but the impressive part is that he retained possession after. He effectively shields the puck with his body, so the only option is to seal him off, but then his feet are quick enough to cut back into open space. He was causing fits for smaller Swedish defense all night.

Kakko gained confidence as the game went on, which is reasonable given he's one of the younger players in the tournament. The second unit powerplay which ran through Kakko looked better than the stacked first unit for the first half of the game. He tried the Pettersson/Sedin shot-for-a-tip in the slot and was generally threatening. The play he made on Finland's only goal was pretty nice as well. He looked like he was going to do something by the time he hit his own blue line and the pass he made to finish it was pretty. 

However, there were a couple of times where the puck would go up his boards as a winger in the defensive zone and he would lose the battle. He was slow getting to his mark and lost body position on smaller players. That's a details thing that shouldn't be difficult to clean up. 

It's the first game of the tournament, so hopefully he can be just as fun to watch in the other 1-2 games I can see him. 

• Upvote 1