The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will we finish higher or lower in the standings?

CanucksJay

this team is built for the future so get the highest draft pick possible. Wait for the youngsters to mature then think playoffs. 

Build a winning Utica Comet team first.

Let Canucks overpaid grinder vets get us high draft picks that’s why they were signed. Not to win games. 

Go canucks go

On 2018-07-05 at 8:00 AM, ReggieBush said:

Boeser-35

Bo-25

Baer-20

Loui-15

Gagner-15

Elias-25

Sutter-15

Virtanen-15

Granlund/Leipsic-15

Roussell-12

Beagle-10

Schaller-10

Call-ups and prospects- 15

227 from the forwards

Last year we had 21 goals from the D. That needs to be better.

We scored 218 goals as a team last year and we look hard pressed to get that many this coming season. We likely end up bottom 5 again before trending upwards.

As a fan born the same year as the team I am really looking forward to seeing the growth of the young players and prospects this season. There are enough vets to make sure there is a good ‘team culture’ and ensure a safe working environment for the young guys. Let Green continue to instill his game into the young core - although we will likely lose more than we win at least we should be more fun/interesting to watch.

I think we will finish in close two the same spot ..  score a few less goals ... allow a few less too ..    gonna be fun to see the kids start to blossom ..   then we unite the hughes brothers ..      Snap the fingers , and half the league dies ..

It will come down to a few things. Can younger players produce more than two declining twins amd be more reliable two way players at the same time?

The resounding answer is YES!  

The second thing is can Bo and Brock keep up with their PPG last year this year?  Yes, but Brock needs a guy to feed him pucks. After Horvat was injured last year, Brock’s production dropped.  They were already facing the leagues top lines, so as long as Brock can avoid the ‘sophomore slump’ this is very doable. 

Can Eriksson earn his contract?  Who the &^@# knows?  If there is anyway to get some production out of this fairly decent player then please Mike Green, find it. 

Who will be our second line center?  Can Pettersson continue to be the wunderkid of the SEL in the NHL?  Is Sutter actually a Foundational player on the roster or just a overpaid 3rd liner. Does Gagner got game?  And is Gaudette ready for the show?  

Is our defence really as bad as it looks?  Likely!  Do we gain any production with a older wiser Pouliot?  Does OJ have any Juice for the PP?  And can Quinn show us how mighty he can be this soon after his draft?  

The last position, goal.  Can that be less goals against or more goals for... Markstrom has this year to gain some consistency as Demko is ready to blow the doors off and take the spot. 

Anything is possible, but I see us as a non playoff team.  We will be fun to watch and I think will be better than most think.  Hopefully the chips fall the right way at the lotto this year.  

EmW

On 7/4/2018 at 8:45 PM, timmylu1 said:

Man I am over the tank BS... first off we we never get a good pick anyways and secondly this sitting used to be about winning!!! I’m sick of not watching hockey after April! 

Really we never get a good pick Q Hughes, Pettersson.  Make playoffs to get swept in the first round is fun April hockey then get a crappy pick like Brendan Gaunce.

you can't easily build a great team when your a fringe playoff team. Look at Blackhawks they where crappy til they built a core team with high draft picks.

this should be a tank season Canucks aren’t good enough yet. they gotta keep building up this new young core with high end players that come from high drafting.

It takes time and some luck. 

Canucks should do like the old nfl 49ers did any player no matter how good trade them after age 30...but this hockey so maybe change that age to 32.

They’re at their highest trade value but on the decline. Trade those guys for high drafts to always have a good young core team.

Pettersson, Q Hughes say bye to him at 32 and say hi to new traded for high end prospects and high draft picks. 

On 7/4/2018 at 10:27 AM, Pears said:

I truly believe if Benning goes out and gets a 2C for Pettersson, we could push for a playoff spot this year. Call me crazy or whatever, but for the first time in a while we have depth at every position. That’ll be huge going forward. 

I don't understand... Is Horvat not a 2C? The team is lacking a true 1C.

For fun, played with last years stats.  Here is what I get:

• IF this team can score just a bit better (still poorly) 5 on 5 (was not great but keep those 138 goals and add 20 more...one every four games)
  • IF it can keep same PP success rate on same number of opportunities
  • IF it can improve PK by 5% (e.g. to what Anaheim or Colorado did last year)
  • IF they can improve SV% by 0.05 to 0.08 on same number of shots allowed

This team likely makes the playoffs if all those IFs happen...project to about 98 points.    Far from scientific - simply Monte Carlo simulation.  Certainly no guarantee of that let alone a shoe-in that they can do all of those four things above but none are beyond the group they will likely ice this year.   Their PK will be better almost certainly with their additions.   I think Ian Clark will help that much to the goalie performance.   PP without Sedins may be a tough one as the 5 on 5 goals but Horvat and Boeser together all year has to add something and if EP plays, he will score.    D should provide more too one could expect.

Point is, they are not as far off as some think.    You can say same for a LOT of teams but this thread/board is about Canucks.   

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I don't understand... Is Horvat not a 2C? The team is lacking a true 1C.

Horvat is a 1C on the Canucks right now, until (hopefully) Pettersson can take over.  Bo's number are improving each year and he could very likely become 1C worthy with Boeser by his side.  This year, he will get more offensive minutes and be on the #1 PP, so I suspect his pts will increase substantially.

Who knows, maybe the Canucks end up with two 1Cs in the upcoming seasons.

If our young players don't take significant strides forward we could very well be the worst team in the league.  Though, it's more likely that at least a couple guys do make an impact.  Boeser/Horvat could have better seasons, Pettersson could come in and win the Calder.  Also if you look at our division....

Capture.JPG.b84095c0e2800915f9fc237c7d909fad.JPG

It wouldn't shock me if Vegas took a big step back, even if they dont...

Anaheim, San Jose and LA IMO are past their prime and will get worse at some point.  It's possible that one or two of them fall back this year.

Calgary is kind of a wildcard.

Edmonton should be better.

Arizona is still garbage.  

So the powers in our division are more likely to fall back than to improve or stay at a high level.  Which means an easier schedule for Vancouver.  That, coupled with a strong bottom 6 that will most likely ease our PK woes a bit should mean that Vancouver will finish higher in the standings.  Maybe something similar to where Calgary finished last year.  

On 2018-07-04 at 2:27 PM, Pears said:

I truly believe if Benning goes out and gets a 2C for Pettersson, we could push for a playoff spot this year. Call me crazy or whatever, but for the first time in a while we have depth at every position. That’ll be huge going forward. 

Your Crazy. ;) Like whatever.  

On 2018-07-06 at 4:26 PM, longsuffering said:

Hughes didn't look good in the scrimmage last night, pushed off the puck, blind passes, no finish. Jet Woo looked real good by comparison.

Hughes had flu/food poisoning and it is a prospects scrimmage. Not a lot to learn just fun for fans to see the new kids go at it. 

The same goes for the Tourney, fairly unstructured and rough hockey. 

For Hughes, it’s not what he does with the puck that will get him into the lineup, but without the puck. I am not sure that Green is ready for the ‘heart attack kid’ just yet.

I would love to see him at camp this year.  The thing is if Hughes turns pro this year, spends 24g up with the nucks and the remainder with Utica, then we preserve his RFA years. 

Not 100% sure, but if he returns to the NCAA and turns pro at re end of season, don’t we lose a year of RFA status?  

Dont know what else he has to show for college hockey. Let’s get him alot of AHL reps and give him a solid taste of the NHL this year. Then he is being developed within the system. 

The only thing is that I think he will supplant some guys and take a spot on the roster, but is that a bad thing?  

On 2018-07-10 at 8:16 PM, CanadianRugby said:

If our young players don't take significant strides forward we could very well be the worst team in the league.  Though, it's more likely that at least a couple guys do make an impact.  Boeser/Horvat could have better seasons, Pettersson could come in and win the Calder.  Also if you look at our division....

Capture.JPG.b84095c0e2800915f9fc237c7d909fad.JPG

It wouldn't shock me if Vegas took a big step back, even if they dont...

Anaheim, San Jose and LA IMO are past their prime and will get worse at some point.  It's possible that one or two of them fall back this year.

Calgary is kind of a wildcard.

Edmonton should be better.

Arizona is still garbage.  

So the powers in our division are more likely to fall back than to improve or stay at a high level.  Which means an easier schedule for Vancouver.  That, coupled with a strong bottom 6 that will most likely ease our PK woes a bit should mean that Vancouver will finish higher in the standings.  Maybe something similar to where Calgary finished last year.  

Hoping for a lotto win this year and some fun entertaining hockey. 

What this team needs to have chance to go anywhere is a goalie that doesn’t repeatedly let in the first shot on net.  Markstrom seemed to always start bad, then sometimes get better as the games progressed. Now if the late season surge can be nurtured into next year, anything is possible. 

Until Demko takes over I don’t see this team doing anything.  Markstrom seems to be a headcase. 

On 2018-07-05 at 12:00 PM, ReggieBush said:

Boeser-35

Bo-25

Baer-20

Loui-15

Gagner-15

Elias-25

Sutter-15

Virtanen-15

Granlund/Leipsic-15

Roussell-12

Beagle-10

Schaller-10

Call-ups and prospects- 15

227 from the forwards

Last year we had 21 goals from the D. That needs to be better.

Anything is possible but we will

be hard pressed to produce anymorevthan above provided everyone stays healthy. 

Scoring from the defence, well that’s an idea. 

I think this year would be a monumental failure if we were relatively injury free and didn't do better. If Boeser, Horvat and Baer all play almost every game, and other key players remain healthy, I just don't see why we wouldn't improve. But (major) injury free might be wishful thinking. This last draft could be the last time we are picking so high. Other than lucking out like Philly did a couple years ago, or Carolina this year.  Sure we'll miss the Sedin's production, but they also had increasing negative plus/minus.  A lot depends on our new acquisitions as well as overall health. But Virtanen, Boeser, and Goldy are all a year more mature and V and G could make big leaps. 

I think the new Canucks will surprise a lot of people, in a good way.  I'll be cheering for a playoff run over the "lose for Hughes" mantra.

On 7/10/2018 at 2:14 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

For fun, played with last years stats.  Here is what I get:

• IF this team can score just a bit better (still poorly) 5 on 5 (was not great but keep those 138 goals and add 20 more...one every four games)
  • IF it can keep same PP success rate on same number of opportunities
  • IF it can improve PK by 5% (e.g. to what Anaheim or Colorado did last year)
  • IF they can improve SV% by 0.05 to 0.08 on same number of shots allowed

This team likely makes the playoffs if all those IFs happen...project to about 98 points.    Far from scientific - simply Monte Carlo simulation.  Certainly no guarantee of that let alone a shoe-in that they can do all of those four things above but none are beyond the group they will likely ice this year.   Their PK will be better almost certainly with their additions.   I think Ian Clark will help that much to the goalie performance.   PP without Sedins may be a tough one as the 5 on 5 goals but Horvat and Boeser together all year has to add something and if EP plays, he will score.    D should provide more too one could expect.

Point is, they are not as far off as some think.    You can say same for a LOT of teams but this thread/board is about Canucks.   

I think the key point missed is if the team can prevent goals.  The Sedins were a combined -43 last year.  To be fair, they were on the same line so we should actually take the average which is a combined -21.5

As a team, If we can reduce the negative differential on 5 vs 5, that would greatly help

41 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think this year would be a monumental failure if we were relatively injury free and didn't do better. If Boeser, Horvat and Baer all play almost every game, and other key players remain healthy, I just don't see why we wouldn't improve. But (major) injury free might be wishful thinking. This last draft could be the last time we are picking so high. Other than lucking out like Philly did a couple years ago, or Carolina this year.  Sure we'll miss the Sedin's production, but they also had increasing negative plus/minus.  A lot depends on our new acquisitions as well as overall health. But Virtanen, Boeser, and Goldy are all a year more mature and V and G could make big leaps. 

I think the new Canucks will surprise a lot of people, in a good way.  I'll be cheering for a playoff run over the "lose for Hughes" mantra.

I agree. I don't think we are a bad enough team to have a shot at 1st overall. A lot of right pieces are in place (just requires development time) so I don't think we'll get worse (esp if we stay healthy)

Archived