The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will we finish higher or lower in the standings?

CanucksJay

3 hours ago, combover said:

Lower.

call it the adjustment year

the adjustment  - 100 points was taken out of the line up two very good players that could eat minutes and were responsible.

not to many team that lose two to of their best top six players go onto improve.

Goaltending the same and it wasn’t all that good last year

The d hasn’t improved at all. 

We’ve downgraded at forward. 

Tougher and grittier and hopefully another rookie or two make the line up and it will be a fun year to watch.

no longer I can’t believe there not butter Canucks 

some trades are needed thou to make room for some more kids.

OJ Hughes Ep would great to see as Canucks regulars. Alone side jake bo and brock 

That alone will sell more tickets.

i think one more bad season and then we will to start to climb out of the basement. 

I was thinking along the same lines but then started looking at the numbers.

Henrik had 17 powerplay points and Daniel had 23 PP. 

On even strength, they were - 22 and - 21. 

Here's my thought. If our Henrik and Daniel replacements on first unit pp can put up about 20 points each and shave down the minus on even strength, doesn't that mean we got better? 

Injuries will play a huge factor in where we end up in the standings.

If the "D" (individual players) improve their performance over last year, and the team becomes a plus team regarding goals for and goals against, then the team will finish higher in the standings and possibly make the playoffs. The games will need to be lower scoring in order to make this happen, which means that Edler, Tanev and Gud must remain healthy. The forward group will have to play a solid defensive game and counter attack with their speed, skill and talent. The best players will have to be the best players and they need to be plus players.

They need to utilize the playbook of the Scotty Bowman Montreal Canadians.

1 hour ago, longsuffering said:

image.png.e3bddadfe37c1b11d657c9a4e7bb16a6.png

I think Arizona and NYI are going to be better teams than us.  NYI if they get any goal tending at least.  Likewise, Carolina is probably a significantly better team.

Canadiens could go either way depending on if Price bounces back.

Rangers again have good goal tending which to me puts them above us.

Buffalo always seems like they are set to improve and then doesn't so not sure.

Really, Ottawa is the only team I see as definitively worse than us.  

goaltending:  Clearly a problem.  We have 2 goalies that might step in and be stars.  we'll see!  I think it is another year or more away - what is the contract status of our current goalies?

defense:  if Hughes and JO make the team that helps a lot - depending on how they play.  Edler and Tanev are good, so potentially we have a top 4...   so 20 minutes or so per night of very poor defense..  We have some good prospects who will take another year or so.

offense:  if EP and Dahlen step in it could be really fun to watch.  Boeser and Horvat... that makes up 2/3 of 2 lines.  I'd like to see Lind really given a shot if he's ready, and Goldobin and Virtanen get a lot of ice time to make or break their careers.  Same with Gaudette.  However we don't have a lot of room, so while I would think this group is potentially ready to break out this coming year... we have millions of dollars committed to mediocre players who will be playing instead of them.   so tough to say, but probably not.  I would think EP is not going to break the doors down, and will need a year or 2 to transition to the NHL.  I do like the signings this year only because they add toughness - I wish that was done in all the previous years that brought us players who are mediocre and aren't tough either, which I've never understood... I mean if you can't get skill, then get tough.  but don't get a player who is not skilled nor tough - but just fills a spot, it makes no sense...  anyways, probably no breakout this year for the offense either.

I look forward to another year of the same.  There should be some good winning streaks in the first half of the year, but when the games get more intense and playoff positions are on the line I expect the team to not have enough toughness nor skill to compete.   The year after, if we can get enough of the young players in the lineup we have a much better shot - and of course if we win the lottery that would help put us over the top into a position where we are a lock for the playoffs (shave off a few years of waiting time)

13 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I feel privileged that I was able to watch the WCE and then the Twins take over. 

While losing Henrik and Daniel hurts, 

I truly feel like this year's team will be far harder to play against. 

My bet is that while we lose our future hall of famers, we will finish higher in the standings compared to last year. 

I still don't know whether that's good (for those hoping to win the draft lottery) but my take is that we will not only ice a more competitive lineup but it will be fast and entertaining. 

I'm loving the direction of this team and look forward to the start of the season. 

Do you think we'll finish higher or lower in the standings compared to last year? 

For me the real winners of the lottery are the teams that finished higher in the standings and win a top 3 pick (eg Carolina and Philly) compared to the ones that had an atrocious year only to drop spots. I rather be in the position where the real winners potentially are in terms surprisingly winning the lottery and for development of the team.

Injuries is key to where we will finish. It looked like Green had a good system in place until injuries happen and the derailment of goaltending didn't help.

8 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

faster & more entertaining? yes.. 

higher in the standings? sounds like someone poured themselves a big bowl of wishful thinking this morning..

baby steps..

We finished 25th overall last year. We could finish 24th overall and be higher in the standings and still be taking baby steps as well.

I predict a 20th overall finish which would be a success to me.

I might be a little crazy but think we are fighting for a playoff spot this year... last year when healthy we were in most games and had a chance to win... with the additions this year think we have a chance. Also think we'll see a little more from Horvat too, with the new guys Horvat's role will change slightly and he will see more chances. 

release the young players, or I'm not watching much this year...  

3 minutes ago, dukeofcanuck said:

I could see us end up in the same spot as last year. Going to be another couple years before we get out of the basement.

IF the young players are allowed to play.  There is the chance that they never develop.  coaches don't trust the young players, at least not canuck coaches.

I think we will imrpove, but miss the playoffs barely.

Just with the depth that is available if we get an injury we are in a better spot than last year. The fourth line will be Beagle Rousell and Schaller. so that means there are three less spots with the big club to fill. There will be three more players in Utica to call up when we have forward injuries and we should thus be three forwards better if someone gets hurt.

The defense is still going to be an issue. Unless someone has a big turnaround year we will struggle on the back end. They havent added any scoring back there and the goal-tending has to be better . NO more goals in the first minute. Unless Juolevi and Hughes have huge camps and make the team the D will be suspect again. I do like the Sautner kid and thought he performed well late last year

Archived