The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will we finish higher or lower in the standings?

CanucksJay

Hopefully if they’re around the same or worse this is the year we see multiple high picks coming in. Only way this happens is trades to guys like Tanev, Edler and Sutter. Sure would be nice watching the draft in our arena with multiple picks in the top rounds of the draft. Heck Buffalo already has 3 first round picks.

I am going with 22nd to 27th. If you look at last season 73 - 80 points put you in the bottom 5 to 10 range and I don't see the Canucks as having improved a bunch (scoring will be tough and the D has not changed and goaltending will still be up and down). I estimate their points to be from 72 to 80.

Depending on which side you are on that will either make you happy or sad. Personally I am in favour of another try hard but lose season. As much as people point out Edmonton as a team to not emulate, neither are the Flames. The Flames came out of their rebuild too quickly and now they are stuck as mediocre. The Flames needed one or two more high end picks (granted it doesn't help their GM keeps trading their firsts). That is my fear with the Canucks. The rebuild is not done and at least one more draft where they have a high pick in each round is a good thing.

There's definitely a good chance, and it will all depend on whether our young forwards can score. Imho, there are 2 bottom-feeding tiers:

• Worst tier: NY Islanders, Ottawa, Montreal
  • Second worst tier: Arizona, Detroit, Vancouver, NY Rangers

May be out of the playoffs: Chicago, Edmonton, Vegas, Florida, Colorado

On 7/5/2018 at 12:16 PM, CanucksJay said:

I'm really hoping Juolevi and Hughes makes it. Otherwise, there's zero offence unless Hutton and Pouliot have career years. Edler will probably be steady. 

Hughes didn't look good in the scrimmage last night, pushed off the puck, blind passes, no finish. Jet Woo looked real good by comparison.

15 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Hughes didn't look good in the scrimmage last night, pushed off the puck, blind passes, no finish. Jet Woo looked real good by comparison.

I thought Hughes looked Ok. Not much other talent to work with on that team. 

Main camp will be important

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I thought Hughes looked Ok. Not much other talent to work with on that team. 

Main camp will be important

I agree he didnt look especially great, but recovering from the flu and has a lot to learn about the NHL game yet. He will improve.

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree he didnt look especially great, but recovering from the flu and has a lot to learn about the NHL game yet. He will improve.

He didn't seem to have the hustle on back checks etc. 

I'm giving him a pass due to his pedigree. If it was a long shot who didn't hustle the entire game, I would have wrote him off but with Hughes, I'll wait until main camp

Just now, CanucksJay said:

He didn't seem to have the hustle on back checks etc. 

I'm giving him a pass due to his pedigree. If it was a long shot who didn't hustle the entire game, I would have wrote him off but with Hughes, I'll wait until main camp

Again he just got out of bed from the flu the day before. I am not judging him on this one appearance. Any player that sick gets a pass from me.

The players that impressed me were

Palmu- wow i like his Cliff Ronning like impression. If thats the player we get from him I like him on the second power play as set up man.

Jaredvichius or whatever his name is , like the  kid. Has good hands.

Di Pietro- This kid and Demko may provide some better tending in the future./ Markstrom had better show up this year or they will take his job away

47 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

He had the Flu for 6 days and lost 6 Lbs.,...on top of that he had no-one to pass too in the 1st period and that shoutout goal was going in against any goalie...!

We are not done yet this off season. I still can't help but believe we will make a trade to upgrade our defense before the start of the season. By the time the season starts though, remaining relatively healthy, and Petterson being able to transfer his talent over the the NHL, we're challenging for the playoffs.

60 % of an outstanding powerplay

Likely end up being so-so with some injuries.

Good bottom 6 but also not a great defense to support the PK - should be so so on the penalty kill as it stands now.

Goals will be a bit easier to come by, with Petterson on the team and all he can do. In the end, I think we can push for the playoffs. I would say we're drafting 10-15 this year.

Forget CANUCKs for a season, the team is horrid  which is good right now cuz it’s the Jack Hughes draft.

Build a winning environment in Utica, make the Comets a good team play all the young guys with 2 way contracts there. Sorry Demko, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen and OJ your all playing for the Comets next year. 

Draft high, stockpile prospects and draft picks. Get so many prospects Canucks can use those as trade options for filling in the holes when the times right. Never trade draft picks unless it’s to get higher picks in deal.

Also Comets should move to Van so it’s more of a solid unit the Canucks and Comets. Plus it’s great for fan base. 

The question is really hard to say with so much contingency riding on how over half the lineup develops leading into the season, but I agree with the rest of your post - loved watching the Sedins, and think the team will be harder to play against (an improved bottom six forwards is one of the surest ways to improve a team, even if not perceived to achieve the leaps and bounds of adding top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen).

Bottom line though - I too am happy with the direction they're taking.

I wanted these kinds of signings - probably happier with this July 1st than any recent preceding FA period.

I'm not expecting instant results - and my satisfaction with this season won't necessarily ride on results.

I like Green's systems hockey, his approach - and I like how young players respond to his coaching - so I'm looking forward to up-tempo, hard working, detailed two way hockey and think that management has set the table very well in terms of an on ice and 'cultural' working environment for the young talent to develop within.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The question is really hard to say with so much contingency riding on how over half the lineup develops leading into the season, but I agree with the rest of your post - loved watching the Sedins, and think the team will be harder to play against (an improved bottom six forwards is one of the surest ways to improve a team, even if not perceived to achieve the leaps and bounds of adding top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen).

Bottom line though - I too am happy with the direction they're taking.

I wanted these kinds of signings - probably happier with this July 1st than any recent preceding FA period.

I'm not expecting instant results - and my satisfaction with this season won't necessarily ride on results.

I like Green's systems hockey, his approach - and I like how young players respond to his coaching - so I'm looking forward to up-tempo, hard working, detailed two way hockey and think that management has set the table very well in terms of an on ice and 'cultural' working environment for the young talent to develop within.

I agree. Its time to turn over a new leaf and play the game the way Green wants them to. Speed speed speed. No more slowing down the game.

The Free agent signings are great. We needed some grit and these players are not slow.

This creates competition for the few spaces left at top 6. Pettersons will probably be one but who fights their way into the other one or two spots available?Love it.

Archived