The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat one of NHL.COM top 10 Fantasy Breakout Candidates

Rob_Zepp

Fantasy breakout candidates for 2018-19

Found this interesting as NHL.COM rarely has much good to say about Vancouver Canucks.   This is what was posted about Bo Horvat, and the team, in his being put into the top 10 as a breakout candidate for the upcoming season:

Bo Horvat, C, VAN

Longtime forwards Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin have retired, so the Vancouver Canucks will lean on their young players and prospects for big roles this season. Vancouver's prospect pool is led by centers Elias Pettersson and Adam Gaudette, defenseman Quinn Hughes (No. 7 pick in 2018 NHL Draft) and goaltender Thatcher Demko, but it's easy to forget the top line early last season was Horvat with eventual Calder Trophy finalist Brock Boeser and left wing Sven Baertschi before all three were injured. Horvat, 23, had 52 points (20 goals, 32 assists) in 2016-17 and was on an 82-game pace of 56 points last season (59-point pace prior to his foot injury). If Boeser (back; expected to be ready for training camp) is fully healthy, the Canucks could be a surprise team in the Western Conference with Boeser scoring 35-40 goals and Horvat leaping to 65 points.

He is going to get so many more offensive zone starts this year.  I got him in a trade in my keeper pool last year where I got Bo and PLD in Columbus for Shattenkirk :D 

Picked up Petterson last year in our draft and plan to pick up Hughes this year as I draft 2nd and expect Dhalin to go first.  

I don't think thats a big reach, He'll be 24 at the end of the year so he is going to be close to entering his prime. I think he'll top out at a 65 pt centre topping out at 70 once we start to contend and will be the perfect foil for the rest of the skilled players

17 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I don't think thats a big reach, He'll be 24 at the end of the year so he is going to be close to entering his prime. I think he'll top out at a 65 pt centre topping out at 70 once we start to contend and will be the perfect foil for the rest of the skilled players

The year we win the cup he will have 80 points.

6 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

The whole reason Benning signed so many players during free agency was to give Horvat / Pettersson/ Boeser and maybe even Sutter (Get his trade value up) more offensive starts and less time playing in their own zone. 

One would think if Horvat took the offensive zone shifts that Henrik took that he would get at least 50% more offensive zone starts/looks and that can't help but help his goals/assists per 60 next season.   He could indeed be a sleeper in terms of points and surprise a lot of people.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Time to stop messing around....  PUT the C on Bo .    

He is the heart and soul of the Canucks.  He is our next T. Linden.  

Bo is going to resign and create a drama firestorm with some juvenile media types?     

Pettersson I'd say is the most likely to be a breakout fantasy guy. Since he'll likely get the bulk of the Sedins favorable starts. I can see Bo getting roughly the exact same deployment 5 on 5. His PP numbers might take a hit, really depends on who replaces the Sedins on that first unit. As I recall Bo played that first unit with the Sedins and Boeser  as the net presence. Pettersson and Baer to replace the Sedins? Too many young guys, probably Eriksson and Gags replace the Sedins. Either way it'll be an interesting year offensively for Bo and if Pettersson makes it on the squad him as well. I wanna see a full year of Baertschi he could quietly put up 50-60 points. Not trying to be a homer but a lot of names could have breakout seasons. Pettersson, Virtanen, Bo, Eriksson, Baer, even Goldy if he manages to stick full time. Got a lot of bottom 6ers to eat those defensive deployments.

I could see that for Horvat.

Considering Scheifele of the Jets, he really stepped up when Andrew Ladd was traded which opened up the icetime and key opportunities, I think the same pattern will exist for Horvat.

Archived