The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Waivers: who gets claimed?

Bert Diesel

7 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So why is LE still here?  :rolleyes:

Because despite being vastly overpaid for his offensive contributions (thus far anyway), he's a VERY solid 2 way player.

His problem isn't that he can't play in the NHL, it's that he simply hasn't produced offense commensurate with his contract. Lucky for us we have loads of cap space presently to absorb that without issue. 

Teams are pushing 4 lines now. You need skill all the through your lineup. The 4 UFA's are not skilled players. They will not get sent down. they will take up a position on the NHL roster. Less space for young skilled players.  There is NO space for the kids. Even fitting in Pettersson will be tough.

Beagle was all they needed. 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because despite being vastly overpaid for his offensive contributions (thus far anyway), he's a VERY solid 2 way player.

His problem isn't that he can't play in the NHL, it's that he simply hasn't produced offense commensurate with his contract. Lucky for us we have loads of cap space presently to absorb that without issue. 

Gaunce is a VERY solid 2 way player. I think he was better then LE. 

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

Teams are pushing 4 lines now. You need skill all the through your lineup. The 4 UFA's are not skilled players. They will not get sent down. they will take up a position on the NHL roster. Less space for young skilled players.  There is NO space for the kids. Even fitting in Pettersson will be tough.

Nope, we're only going to play two lines this year. No wonder there's no room for kids, that's only 6 spots!

54 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Paranoid personality disorder......  You’re proving my point. It has nothing to do with pro Canucks. The ranking system is flawed. I was saying the same thing 5 years ago when canucks were no where near the top, just because it favors the Canucks doesn’t mean it becomes viable. When you use something as a defending point, yes that’s a form of bragging. All I said is the merit of the system is flawed. You’re the one that is turning this into a pro/anti Canuck thing. 

Which is why the ranking system has no merit. It is used to promote future promise (as you did) while ignoring real context and other key future promise variables (ie young players already in the NHL). 

People that put together organizational rankings have a paranoid personality disorder?!    Well, cool story.

I could not care less if it favours the Canucks or not but in a discussion about prospects is seems relevant.  In a thread about SV% for last season, would be hard to find anything favorable so not sure why in a thread about prospects, and such discussion, it is somehow not relevant?   Why not a thread on top 30 scorers in league - as Vancouver didn't have anyone there would not be a list so who would argue that?    When the topic here is prospects, seemingly organizational ranking makes some sense....right?

Young players in the NHL - I already said you measure that by the Standings as a great measuring stick and, as noted, Vancouver doesn't do well there.    We don't have next season's standings yet (though I see plenty of people are sure of what they will be....removes the drama of the season I guess).    Do the Standings dudes that put those out also have a paranoid personality disorder?    

There are plenty of stats/rankings and similar that don't have Vancouver being very high and are discussion ad nausea in their respective threads.    

I usually remotely get the point you are on about, but sincerely this time I am struggling as you seem to be looking for something here that is already there.   Once again, for those not in NHL those rankings are of some relative value and for those in NHL it is called "standings".    If you don't like those two measures of in/out of NHL, calling the originators as paranoid with personality disorders....seems a bit harsh and odd doesn't it?   

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Gaunce is a VERY solid 2 way player. I think he was better then LE. 

Gaunce is a very good defensive player. His 6 points in 37 games vs LE's 23 in 50 don't really allow for much of that '2nd' way in '2 way'.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope, we're only going to play two lines this year. No wonder there's no room for kids, that's only 6 spots!

We might as well just role 2 lines. They will be the only one worth watching.:rolleyes:

Just now, appleboy said:

We might as well just role 2 lines. They will be the only one worth watching.:rolleyes:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on what Beagle, Roussel and Schaller all bring to the lineup and how they allow all the skilled kids we have far easier usage and minutes than they'd otherwise enjoy.

Unless you'd prefer guys like Horvat be wasting all his energy on dzone starts and PK'ing instead of being nice and fresh for ozone starts and PP time?

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Gaunce is a very good defensive player. His 6 points in 37 games vs LE's 23 in 50 don't really allow for much of that '2nd' way in '2 way'.

LE got lots of front minutes. Gaunce got to kill penalties and play with forth liners. 

47 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Done with ever seeing your name again so i'm just going to block you. It will make my CDC life a lot easier not having to read any of your comments.

Why not just do it, instead of having to post it?   That’s being reactive instead proactive, right?  I’d like our players to be more on the initiative in their play, and guy, who are too passive, we should get rid of.  

Just now, appleboy said:

LE got lots of front minutes. Gaunce got to kill penalties and play with forth liners. 

Nobody's saying Gaunce didn't play hard minutes (exactly the sort role you seem to be poo-pooing re: Beagle, Roussel and Schaller BTW). But LE hasn't exactly played all plumb easy minutes as a Canuck either and he gets more offensive opportunity because he converts more than Gaunce (and has a history of converting at even higher rates).

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I really like Gaunce.  He has really strong leadership skills.  I liked how he helped Tryamkin complete the Grouse Grind, by basically carrying the big guy.  Then, he blocks a shot with his face, and stays out to finish his shift.  If he was more abrasive, and learned to fight, I think he’d have a better chance to stay off the waiver wire.  

18 minutes ago, appleboy said:

That’s kind of true but think back to our 2011 run.  We were a dominant offensive team and our 3rd line were all 30-point, 10-ish goal scorers like Torres, Malhotra and Hansen.

Even high flying teams like the Lightning or Leafs or Penguins of last year drop down to that level pretty quick once you cycle past their top 6 scoring forwards. 

Roussel, Beagle and Schaller are all in that 10 goal wheelhouse, which is would be awesome production considering 1 or 2 will be 4th liners.

Our problem is that we don’t have the PPG+ guys at the top of the lineup, not trying to squeeze points out of the bottom 6.

edit: oh, and maybe a defencemen or two who could score.  That’d help. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on what Beagle, Roussel and Schaller all bring to the lineup and how they allow all the skilled kids we have far easier usage and minutes than they'd otherwise enjoy.

Unless you'd prefer guys like Horvat be wasting all his energy on dzone starts and PK'ing instead of being nice and fresh for ozone starts and PP time?

If they were to clear out Gagner and LE then they would have places to put the skilled kids. I like Beagle and Rousell but the numbers don't add up. A lot of the decisions that Benning makes just don't seem well thought out. We will lose someone of value because of it.

Schaller is another one who I like but just don't see how he fits in. 

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

If they were to clear out Gagner and LE then they would have places to put the skilled kids. I like Beagle and Rousell but the numbers don't add up. A lot of the decisions that Benning makes just don't seem well thought out. We will lose someone of value because of it.

Schaller is another one who I like but just don't see how he fits in. 

Schaller likely displaces Gaunce to be honest. Similar defensive game with more grit and offense. 

Gagner's not here long term one way or the other, I'm not even sure why he's a concern? I'd be pretty surprised if he's still a Canuck after this TDL (if not sooner). Absolutely 'worst' case, he's gone next year. It's a non-issue. 

Not all of Baer, Granlund, Leipsic, Goldobin are going to survive the next couple years. There's only so many top 6 spots and some of those guys are going to get passed and moved/waived. Deal yo.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nobody's saying Gaunce didn't play hard minutes (exactly the sort role you seem to be poo-pooing re: Beagle, Roussel and Schaller BTW). But LE hasn't exactly played all plumb easy minutes as a Canuck either and he gets more offensive opportunity because he converts more than Gaunce (and has a history of converting at even higher rates).

Gaunce is 24 and paid 750,000.   Beagle is 32 and will be paid 3 mil for the next 4 years.

If we are truly rebuilding then we need to be developing our own talent. Signing one UFA would have made sense. Signing short term deals would have been wise.

What if Gadjovick and MacEwen are ready for 2019.

What if Gaudette is ready some time this year?

signing ericksson didn't work out, but he may help pettersson and dahlen adjust to the bigs. in time, gadjovich, gaudette and lind may create another scoring line. it all takes time. my future top nine forwards, will be dahlen, pettersson, virtanen, gadjovich, horvat, boeser, leipsic, gaudette and lind.  we don't rush these guys but put them in a position to succeed. if that means 2 more years, then so be it. meantime the placeholders will try and keep the team competitive as possible. same with our defense and goal. 

we won't be as easy to play against as we have been. 

imo, benning is building the team the proper way.  i have patience to see it through. hopefully my rose coloured glasses won't tint my view.

Archived