The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take for the 2018-2019 Vancouver Canucks to make the playoffs?

Yung1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You're making lots of pointless noise, but answer this;

What do you propose?

To bring back the Sedins for another year?  Do you think that would yield better results this year?

Or to have chased some expensive top 6 UFA forwards to get in the way of that list of young players you find "embarrassing"?

Seriously - do you have any point whatsover, let alone an alternative prescription?

Finally, a discussion.

Honestly i think the rebuild was blown in 2012  to 2013...

Now we have to go through the pain.

I agree that options are next to none right now.

I just get sick of posters trying to say how this years team is going to compete so well.  Juolevi and EP are going to play in the NHL all star game in their first year type drivel.

Fact is Canucks are rebuilding right way mostly and we will have to pay our dues. Patience.

Yes, and you well know i wasn't crazy about rebuild the 4th line...  I don't want placeholders blocking the progress of our youth.

I am OK with losing with younger players.    Before you tell me about the oilers...... 

I would have been fine with Gaunce and Archie on the 4th line this year....  maybe Gaudette with them....

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

:huh: moving the goal posts again I see... Whine all off season about the Youth not getting a shot because of veterans in the way now 2 vets have retired and you whine that the vets aren't here to score...

I also don't understand why you're comparing hall of fame career total goal stats to rookies just breaking in. 

Typical drama for the sake of drama from you and it's utterly ridiculous and really shows how truly clueless you are about the game. 

Once again you go straight to personal insults.  Insecure much ?

17 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats embarrassing.  You are replace 2 hall of famers with.  Some of the posters on this forum really crack me up.

Where is Old news and his goals against per 60 stats when you need him........

Danny Sedin - 393 goals

Hank Sedin . - 240 goals

Replaced with....

Gaudette . - O goals in NHL 

Leipsic . -  6  goals in NHL 

Goldobin .  12 goals in NHL 

Virtanenm   - 17  goals in NHL 

Pettersson  - O goals in NHL 

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Took Hank and Danny 3-4 years... expect the same for EP......

Hank and Danny were 2nd line players last year. The players you mentioned have shown in their careers thus far that they project to be potential 2nd line players as soon as this year. 

Pettersson out performed Hank and Danny in his SHL D+1 season by .33 PPG. Hank and Danny were also unique players who had to spend more time adapting their game to the nhl than most prospects. Pettersson will not take 3-4 years to hit the 1st line.

29 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think that some people are going to under estimate what the sedins still meant to this team.  

A guy like EP while extremely talented just won't adjust that quickly.  He is going to need time to adjust to the travel, amount of games etc that this league has. 

Does it really matter? 

First, the short term results don't really matter erkay.

And second, Boeser did in fact adjust quickly enough to outproduce them as a rookie.  So it's not a foregone conclusion that young players on this team could fill the void, particularly when you factor in the kind of minutes the Sedins were playing.  But regardless, no one is expecting rookies to one-up the Sedins, while at the same time, if we're being realistic about the players they were at 37, they were half as productive as they were in their prime, so if the best Canucks rookies score 30 pts, but surrender less, the actual margins of short term setback are nothing to get that anxious about.

Just now, Yung1 said:

Hank and Danny were 2nd line players last year. The players you mentioned have shown in their junior careers that they project to be potential 2nd line players as soon as this year. 

Pettersson out performed Hank and Danny in his SHL D+1 season by .33 PPG. Hank and Danny were also unique players who had to spend more time adapting their game to the nhl than most prospects. Pettersson will not take 3-4 years to hit the 1st line.

You may be right.  And it may be because EP has next to no competition for first line minutes on the Nucks...

But don't kid yourself the NHL will be a whole new beast for EP.  

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I agree that options are next to none right now.

As I thought.  Pointless noise (not a 'discussion') about how hopeless the youth are in filling the void.  

And yet you're also worried that the team will rise to 25th.

Sorry, I don't hink you actually have a point.

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You may be right.  And it may be because EP has next to no competition for first line minutes on the Nucks...

But don't kid yourself the NHL will be a whole new beast for EP.  

Horvat, Baertschi, and Boeser will likely be the 1st line, hopefully with Leipsic getting a look as well due to the chemistry he showed at the end of last year.  EP will start on the second.  No one is gifting EP a 1st line spot.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Once again you go straight to personal insults.  Insecure much ?

Well when you make ridiculous comparisons like career total goals of hall of famers to a player who’s played 6 games you should kind of expect it, no? 

Do you expect Gaudette to have 393 goals in 6 games? 

What is the relevance to comparing the stats of hall of famers with over 1000 games to players with less than 150? 

The Sedins were rookies too at one time, the league is now trending younger and with the right opportunity any of our youth can break out at anytime. 

The Sedins were amazing hall of famers but now its time for new blood to take over. The team will be just fine with hungry young players ready to take over. 

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't disagree with you...

Except in PP1 minutes....  and OT minutes...

something, that like the 74% ozone starts, actually inflated their numbers.

nothing you've said actually makes the case of how irreplaceable they are at this stage. 

I think they actually retired realizing that there are in fact youth successors knocking on the door of their roster spots and that they did the right thing by those young players, and the team, by opening their roster spots to the next generation of core forwards.

If we can get some points, quality puck movement and reliable defensive play from our DEFENCEMEN, we'll be one step closer to makr th. I really think our chances at being competitive hinge on our defencemen and their ability to be "good", not just "gud".

Obviously starts with Edler. We need the Jan-Apr 2018 Edler back, he was awesome in the last half. We're definitely not getting 2009-11 Edler back, the 2012-2017 Edler was pretty disappointing so fingers crossed Edler plays for a contract this year.

Tanev staying healthy would be huge. (Trump ruined my inclination to say huge again, but here we go...) Huge. Just huge. Like Guddy staying healthy, huge.

"Tony Stretcher, that kid's gonna have a big year I tell ya. Gonna play like he's playing for his life out there. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in heart that kid, I tell ya what" - Don Cherry (not actually though)

Hutton and Pouliot, if those guys put it together and start seriously contributing.. We might have a shot at makr th.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

If we can get some points, quality puck movement and reliable defensive play from our DEFENCEMEN, we'll be one step closer to makr th. I really think our chances at being competitive hinge on our defencemen and their ability to be "good", not just "gud".

Obviously starts with Edler. We need the Jan-Apr 2018 Edler back, he was awesome in the last half. We're definitely not getting 2009-11 Edler back, the 2012-2017 Edler was pretty disappointing so fingers crossed Edler plays for a contract this year.

Tanev staying healthy would be huge. (Trump ruined my inclination to say huge again, but here we go...) Huge. Just huge. Like Guddy staying healthy, huge.

"Tony Stretcher, that kid's gonna have a big year I tell ya. Gonna play like he's playing for his life out there. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in heart that kid, I tell ya what" - Don Cherry (not actually though)

Hutton and Pouliot, if those guys put it together and start seriously contributing.. We might have a shot at makr th.

This, if we are going to move up the defence has to contribute offensively.

The only way the Canucks will make the playoffs is the emergence of a few young players, which means that they will have to play the young players for them to emerge.

If Dahlen makes the team and he plays on the same line as Pettersson, then they might be able to have success and light it up. Baer needs to take the next step, Bo has to produce more, and Boeser needs to get 75 pts for them to drag the vets and mediocre "D" with them. As well, if OJ emerges and Elder / Gud play together and stay healthy, and Tanev plays and stays healthy, then may be the "D" will be better....JV needs to emerge into the power forward that he is and be that power forward more consistently.

Cloutier needs to stay away from Marky and Nilsson, and both those goalies have to play big.

The main factor will be the emergence of Pettersson and Dahlen in order for this team to make the playoffs...these players need to be played a lot.

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Horvat, Baertschi, and Boeser will likely be the 1st line, hopefully with Leipsic getting a look as well due to the chemistry he showed at the end of last year.  EP will start on the second.  No one is gifting EP a 1st line spot.

I heard somewhere may have been a "Patcast"; whoever it was. Had heard the organization wanted to match Baer up with Pettersson on a line. Seemed out of left field to me but if thats true then Leipsiic with Bo and Boeser would be the next best choice. I really liked that trio it was more offensively dynamic then with baer imo.

The only way the Canucks make the playoffs is if everything and I mean EVERYTHING goes their way then maybe just maaaaaybbbeeee they’ll have the slightest of chances at the 8th seed

boeser would have to score 40 goals

virtanen would need to pot 20 goals

pettersson get over 50 points 

tanev play 70+ games

markstrom have a .925 save % at least 

and a bunch of career years from everyone else who plays a regular shift 

Nashville

winnipeg

sj

minny

St.louis

vegas