The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrej Sekera of Oilers Tears Achilles Tendon Training

Rob_Zepp

Sekera Injury Cripples Oilers - Leaves Defencemen's Future in Doubt

Sekera injury cripples Oilers, leaves defenceman’s future in doubt

Edmonton Oilers will be without Sekera after surgery

Andrej Sekera is limping towards the finish line of his career. Literally.

After losing most of the 2017-18 season recuperating from anterior cruciate ligament surgery, a tear that happened in Round 2 of the 2017 playoffs, the Edmonton Oilersannounced late Tuesday afternoon that Sekera had torn an Achilles tendon “in an off-season training session” and would be out indefinitely.

He had surgery to repair the tear on Tuesday, the team said. GM Peter Chiarelli could not be reached for comment.

The indefinite time frame on the injury infers that he could return this season, but even if he does, history tells us that this marks another lost season for the 32-year-old. As was the case with the ACL tear last season, Sekera may return after Christmas, but players traditionally require a full 12 months to regain form after an injury of this severity.

From a team perspective, the loss of a second-pairing, veteran defenceman is crippling. Chiarelli will no doubt test the market but the market is all but closed at this time of year.

All that is left in a picked-over unrestricted free agent market are names like Toby Enstrom, Alexei Emelin and Jason Garrison, while teams with tradable assets have been trying unsuccessfully to move those players since before the June draft. More likely, the Oilers will have to make up Sekera’s minutes from within.

Sekera often saw time atop the second power-play unit, and it should be noted that in his absence last season the Oilers power play floundered. Of course there were many reasons for that, but this season younger pros like Matthew Benning, the un-signed RFA Darnell Nurse, second-year pro Ethan Bear and perhaps even Evan Bouchard, drafted 10th overall by the Oilers in June, will all have to pitch in.

As for Sekera, with three seasons left on his deal at $5.5 million per, he’ll have to be able to prove he can pass a medical after two seasons now lost to very severe injuries. In a game that gets faster each and every season, 32-year-old defencemen able to survive back-to-back lost seasons are rare.

He played just 36 games last season, returning to the lineup on Dec. 21. But he had just eight assists (no goals) and was a minus-15, unable to find the pace of the game after ACL surgery.

He played seven games at the world championships for Slovakia however, and appeared as if he would be back up to speed and ready to contribute on the Oilers blue line this fall.

Now, who knows what lies ahead for Andrej Sekera?

I don't know if this helps them, or hurts them?  If Nurse takes a step forward, and Bouchard makes the club this fall, I think they'll be fine without him.  And then he can be back for the playoffs, provided they make it that far.

Klefbom  Larrson

Nurse  Benning

Russell Bouchard.

Just now, Solinar said:

I don't know if this helps them, or hurts them?  If Nurse takes a step forward, and Bouchard makes the club this fall, I think they'll be fine without him.  And then he can be back for the playoffs, provided they make it that far.

Klefbom  Larrson

Nurse  Benning

Russell Bouchard.

.....if that is your top 6, I am amazed people complain about the Canucks top 6.

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

.....if that is your top 6, I am amazed people complain about the Canucks top 6.

I mean, it's not a great top 6 by any stretch, but if they all have good seasons, one could argue that they won't be terrible.  Benning is kind of an adventure in his own end, but Nurse is starting to show the promise that was touted around him.  Larson is pretty dependable, and Klefbom surely won't be as bad as he was last year playing injured.  Russell is...what he is, but he is the perfect kind of guy you'd want playing with Bouchard.  Bouchard and Klefbom make the power play more dangerous, and then you throw out Nurse and Benning.  I still think they need a scoring winger, but they shouldn't have been as bad as they were last year, and with the addition of Bouchard, even rushing him in on the third pairing, you still aren't as bad as some of the clubs at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Solinar said:

I mean, it's not a great top 6 by any stretch, but if they all have good seasons, one could argue that they won't be terrible.  Benning is kind of an adventure in his own end, but Nurse is starting to show the promise that was touted around him.  Larson is pretty dependable, and Klefbom surely won't be as bad as he was last year playing injured.  Russell is...what he is, but he is the perfect kind of guy you'd want playing with Bouchard.  Bouchard and Klefbom make the power play more dangerous, and then you throw out Nurse and Benning.  I still think they need a scoring winger, but they shouldn't have been as bad as they were last year, and with the addition of Bouchard, even rushing him in on the third pairing, you still aren't as bad as some of the clubs at the bottom.

Ya, but I would say Vancouver's top 6 easily outdistance that grouping.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, but I would say Vancouver's top 6 easily outdistance that grouping.

I agree in some respects.  I mean, I think Bouchard, even with his 'apparent' lack-lustre skating, which came as him playing 30+ mins a night so I'm....suspect on the judgements on it, is an upgrade.  His offensive game is something I think will be perfect for the club moving forwards.   But in comparison with our group, which is maligned more than it should be, we're not doing so badly.  

Edler  Gudbranson

Hutton/Juolevi  Tanev

Pouliot Stecher

Del Zotto Biega

If Hutton can bounce back, Stecher take a step forward, Gudbranson play healthy and show that shot he showed before getting injured last season...  I can see us still not making the playoffs, but respectfully showing up and making some noise.  

"Meanwhile the team still has issues on the right wing as Chiarelli and company are hopping at least one of Puljujarvi, Rieder, or Rattie can solidify themselves as a top 6 option...

In order to make the post season the team needed many of the things that went wrong last year to not happen.... but with Sekera out, the wing depth in question, and fear on what the GM will do next, we are well on our way to this season going alot like the last...
With Sekera on the LTIR the Oilers now have 5.5 million of cap space relief. "

Perfect.  Gagner's still better than either of Rieder or Rattie, and Pooly's still a prospect.

Time to entice Chiarelli with that sweet "8-point Sam" + MDZ/Hutton (50%) package = $4.6mil for 2nd round picks in 2019 and 2020.  Bonus savings of nearly $1mil to help with the re-signing of Nurse.

40 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Canucks have some extra LHD.........:bigblush:.........JImbo?  Call your ol buddy Petey

Unless it involves either McJesus/Draisatl coming back at us, Tanev to Edmonton would be incredibly stupid for Canucks to do: Edmonton has proven firepower in the O-zone but is...well lets just say looser than bleep bleep bleep in the D-end. They are in our division. Giving them Tanev = addressing one of their fundamental weaknesses. Not the best idea IMO.

Came for the Tanev trade talk and was not disappointed.

Really though, that's a tough break for Edmonton. I'm actually hoping they do well enough to just miss the playoffs so this doesn't help. Tired of seeing them compete with us for high picks after all this time they've spent at the bottom.

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Unless it involves either McJesus/Draisatl coming back at us, Tanev to Edmonton would be incredibly stupid for Canucks to do: Edmonton has proven firepower in the O-zone but is...well lets just say looser than bleep bleep bleep in the D-end. They are in our division. Giving them Tanev = addressing one of their fundamental weaknesses. Not the best idea IMO.

LHD.....I'm talking Hutton, MDZ, Pouliot

Archived