The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamonic on Injured Reserve - Broken Face

Flames’ Travis Hamonic week-to-week with facial fracture

Calgary Flames defenceman Travis Hamonic has been placed on injured reserve with a facial fracture. The Flames say he is out week-to-week.

Hamonic was involved in a fight with Canucks defenceman Erik Gudbranson in the first period of Calgary’s 5-2 season-opening loss at Vancouver on Wednesday.

The Flames recalled defenceman Rasmus Andersson from the American Hockey League’s Stockton Heat to fill the roster spot.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-travis-hamonic-week-week-facial-fracture/

Right, who's next?

• Gaudette Celly changed the title to Hamonic on Injured Reserve - Broken Face

I'm glad we have Guddy.  He's clearly a very important piece to our team.  However, I think the league has to do away with fighting.  If head shots are getting 20 game suspensions, then why are guys allowed to punch each other in the face?

Best tell Pettersson to keep his head on a swivel saturday night.  You can be sure some of their guys will take runs at him.

Nobody will want to touch Gudbranson now, unless they want a facial fracture or to answer to him after a hit, im sure they will be on their best behaviour

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm glad we have Guddy.  He's clearly a very important piece to our team.  However, I think the league has to do away with fighting.  If head shots are getting 20 game suspensions, then why are guys allowed to punch each other in the face?

I agree, in a way, it is hypocritical of the league to still allow fighting. With Hamonic though, he started it with Gudbranson. He didn't have to, but I guess he was trying to be a good team mate. I didn't think the hit on Dube was dirty in any way and never required retaliation. Suck it up kid, welcome to the NHL. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I would say it comes down to the players agreeing to a fight and a punch not being able to do as much damage as a 200 pound man's shoulder slamming into someone's head at 25 MPH.

Too bad for Hamonic.

Stupid thing is that Guddy may still be challenged to fight in the next game or he'll at least have a big target on his back.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that one of their "tough guys" might try to go after Pettersson too.

My guess is the league is going to watch this game carefully.  Guddy answered the call already and didn't go looking for that fight with Hamonic.  The hit on Dube was borderline but, again, he answered the call.  There was some allegation that Hamonic had tried to stop the fight and Guddy continued, but that's hard to say.

I'm not necessarily against fighting but there's also a sense that retaliation will never stop.

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Best tell Pettersson to keep his head on a swivel saturday night.  You can be sure some of their guys will take runs at him.

Nobody will want to touch Gudbranson now, unless they want a facial fracture or to answer to him after a hit, im sure they will be on their best behaviour

I'm thinking that Guddy will be sent out whenever possible to join Petterson on the ice.

It might seem enticing to go after the marlin as it sails through the water, but if it puts you in the sights of a great white shark, think twice.

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Nobody will want to touch Gudbranson now, unless they want a facial fracture or to answer to him after a hit, im sure they will be on their best behavior

Yes, especially tomorrow tonight. The previous game is still fresh, Hamonic is now on IR, the Flames will be POd. Pettersson awareness is amazing, he seems to see everything going on around him, so I hope he's extra aware tomorrow night. It wouldn't surprise me to see Tkachuk take a run at him. Guy is a dirty weasel.  

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, in a way, it is hypocritical of the league to still allow fighting. With Hamonic though, he started it with Gudbranson. He didn't have to, but I guess he was trying to be a good team mate. I didn't think the hit on Dube was dirty in any way and never required retaliation. Suck it up kid, welcome to the NHL. 

if the league continues allowing fighting, then every team will need a goon again.  Guys like Guddy and Lucic, who can both actually play, are too big for the smaller guys, and these kinds of injuries (or worse) are going to happen.  Hamonic did the right thing for sure by standing up for his mate.  That's the issue.  If Lucic ran a guy, then someone is going to get pounded if they go at Lucic, and someone will, because that's what hockey players do.  However, if there is a goon on the bench, then he can take on Lucic the next time Lucic is on the ice.  Well, the Oilers don't want Lucic fighting a goon, so now they have to get a goon on their bench.  Finding big guys, who can fight and actually play is really hard.  

This is why I'm really happy we have Guddy, and I think he carries a lot of value.  He's a unique player.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope that day never comes. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, especially tonight. The previous game is still fresh, Hamonic is now on IR, the Flames will be POd. Pettersson awareness is amazing, he seems to see everything going on around him, so I hope he's extra aware tomorrow night. It wouldn't surprise me to see Tkachuk take a run at him. Guy is a dirty weasel.  

I think Green will keep a close eye on the roster that Calgary is icing, and adjust accordingly. Calgary's options are pretty limited from a retribution standpoint. I can't see many players outside of Prout being alright with dealing with Guddy.

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Stupid thing is that Guddy may still be challenged to fight in the next game or he'll at least have a big target on his back.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that one of their "tough guys" might try to go after Pettersson too.

So tell me -- how many more guys want to go out and get themselves busted up?  Unless your name is Reaves, you better know what you're getting yourself into, and better get those egos in check.

Archived