The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamonic on Injured Reserve - Broken Face

I don't get happy when any player in injured, especially a serious injury like this no matter the team he plays for.

Those who are happy should know things could be the other way around, one of our heart and soul types ( Derek Dorsett) could suffer a serious injury and it's not a good feeling when that happens.

Good luck to Hamonic. He's a warrior, Hamonic knew he'd get pummeled by EG but still stood up for his team mate. IMO he gets respect for that. 

Hope he gets better and back on the ice soon.

Couple of things to consider - Calgary did not trade for Hamonic for him to "stand up" for teammates - he made a dumb choice to tangle with Gudbranson - who by the way apparently apologized to Dube for the hit on ice (It was during the intermission when Dube was being interviewed and he was asked about Gudbranson apologizing for the hit which he confirmed). I also appreciate the fact  why Travis stood up for Dube however this is the exact reason I am glad we have Gudbranson/Schaller/Rousell now - to answer the bell when challenged or when of our guys gets a questionable hit and not leave it up to one of our less suited players to respond.

My stomach still turns when I see old replays of Marchand's antics with the Sedins in the Stanley Cup final and no one doing anything about it.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Best tell Pettersson to keep his head on a swivel saturday night.  You can be sure some of their guys will take runs at him.

Nobody will want to touch Gudbranson now, unless they want a facial fracture or to answer to him after a hit, im sure they will be on their best behaviour

I actually disagree with this. While it makes logical sense to take a run a Petty, I don't think it will happen. I think Guddy will have a target on his back, and likely need to answer the bell, but I don't think even Calgary is dirty enough to go with an eye for an eye method.

I could obviously be wrong, but it the modern NHL I don't see it happening. If someone goes out their with retaliation on their mind against a rookie rising superstar the league would likely throw the book at them. I think the entire team will come out swinging, and we could see a intense game, but I don't think Petty will be the target.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's great, but where does it stop?  What if Prout gets injured, do they call up the next goon?  Or what if Gudbranson gets injured, we then send someone after Prout?

At some point you have to let it go and get on with the game.

I was just listening to the Fan960 out here and the consensus here is that the hit was a bit late, he got penalized and answered the bell when Hamonic came calling. They see no reason why Guddy should also have to go with Prout.

20 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I actually disagree with this. While it makes logical sense to take a run a Petty, I don't think it will happen. I think Guddy will have a target on his back, and likely need to answer the bell, but I don't think even Calgary is dirty enough to go with an eye for an eye method.

I could obviously be wrong, but it the modern NHL I don't see it happening. If someone goes out their with retaliation on their mind against a rookie rising superstar the league would likely throw the book at them. I think the entire team will come out swinging, and we could see a intense game, but I don't think Petty will be the target.

This is a good point. It'll probably be similar to Guddy's retribution fight against Martin. He could have tried to maim Matthews or Marner, but as a stand up player who lives by the code, he went straight for Martin, and it was done.

Hell, Martin even stated after the game that he respected Gudbranson and would like a guy like that on his team.

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Neil wrestling down Chara has nothing to do with fighting ability, rather, strength and balance.

While I hear you, strength very much plays a role in fighting. How strong one is affects their ability to contain their opponent, throw blows hard enough to make an impact, and absorb blows without caving. Balance as well is almost integral to fighting, as having horrible balance makes it far easier for your opponent to weaken your stance.

You center of gravity point is a good one though. Although Chara did top out at roughly 260 pounds, which is 40 more than Neil.

Lower center of gravity against someone who is 6'9" (while Neil is 6'1") helps a ton. Chara turns into a grappler against anyone with decent fighting ability and has been the case countless times against the big boys like Laraque and Shelley.

He has a hell of a haymaker on that wingspan though.

Reaves has won the majority of his fights, including against almost all the other established heavies. I can't recall the last time he clearly lost a fight. Last I remember was a very spirited draw against ironically enough Peluso, back in 2015. 

Reaves is a tough customer no doubt. Would be interested in seeing how he fairs this year.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm glad we have Guddy.  He's clearly a very important piece to our team.  However, I think the league has to do away with fighting.  If head shots are getting 20 game suspensions, then why are guys allowed to punch each other in the face?

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Best tell Pettersson to keep his head on a swivel saturday night.  You can be sure some of their guys will take runs at him.

Nobody will want to touch Gudbranson now, unless they want a facial fracture or to answer to him after a hit, im sure they will be on their best behaviour

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, in a way, it is hypocritical of the league to still allow fighting. With Hamonic though, he started it with Gudbranson. He didn't have to, but I guess he was trying to be a good team mate. I didn't think the hit on Dube was dirty in any way and never required retaliation. Suck it up kid, welcome to the NHL. 

1. I am with Alf on this one. I am happy to have a tough guy like Guddy in the line-up -- but primarily as a deterrent, not as a guy who injures players on other teams.

2. The hit on Dube was a bad hit. If a Calgary player had made that hit on Pettersson most people on CDC would be outraged. The hit was high, and Dube did not have the puck (interference) and it was what I would call predatory -- going after a young high-skill guy who was looking the other way and had no reason to expect to be hit as he had not yet touched the puck. I think Guddy was fortunate to only get 2 minutes.

3. One problem with that kind of hit is that it invites retaliation on guys like Pettersson which is the LAST THING we want.

4. Hamonic was trying to do the "right thing" in standing up for his teammate. Hamonic is a good guy and a good player and I am sorry to see him injured. I completely disagree with people who take pleasure in his injury. I admit that I would take pleasure if it had happened to Marchand, or Duncan Keith, or a few other guys I could mention. But there is nothing good about this particular situation.

32 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I was just listening to the Fan960 out here and the consensus here is that the hit was a bit late, he got penalized and answered the bell when Hamonic came calling. They see no reason why Guddy should also have to go with Prout.

I agree with that sentiment but he now has to answer for the result of Hamonic. Those who think EG will walk through Prout like nothing are sadly mistaken. And EG has been one of my fav players for a long time. I just hope EG doesn’t break a hand or get hurt. 

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

1. I am with Alf on this one. I am happy to have a tough guy like Guddy in the line-up -- but primarily as a deterrent, not as a guy who injures players on other teams.

Same. Combining him with Beagle, Virtanen, Roussel, Del Zotto, and Schaller makes for a roster that will play with much more confidence on the ice. They can all actually play hockey which, in my humble opinion, is equally important.

2. The hit on Dube was a bad hit. If a Calgary player had made that hit on Pettersson most people on CDC would be outraged. The hit was high, and Dube did not have the puck (interference) and it was what I would call predatory -- going after a young high-skill guy when was looking the other way and had no respect to expect to be hit as he had not yet touched the puck. I think Guddy was fortunate to only get 2 minutes.

Gudbranson has stated as much, and went to apologize during an intermission.

3. One problem with that kind of hit is that it invites retaliation on guys like Pettersson which is the LAST THING we want.

I'm thinking Petterson has a pretty freshly painted bullseye on his back regardless of the fight. Other teams around the league will target him.

4. Hamonic was trying to do the "right thing" in standing up for his teammate. Hamonic is a good guy and a good player and I am sorry to see him injured. I completely disagree with people who take pleasure in his injury. I admit that I would take pleasure if it had happened to Marchand, of Duncan Keith, or a few other guys I could mention. But there is nothing good about this particular situation.

Again, Gudbranson spoke to this point and gave credit to Hamonic. People are really going off on this fight, but if you ask me (most would say don't bother), what Anthony Mantha did to Hamonic was far, far worse.

4 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I agree with that sentiment but he now has to answer for the result of Hamonic. Those who think EG will walk through Prout like nothing are sadly mistaken. And EG has been one of my fav players for a long time. I just hope EG doesn’t break a hand or get hurt. 

Who thinks Gudbranson will walk through Prout? All anyone has to do is enter their names in YouTube, and you'll see a very evenly matched couple of hockey players clinically trading blows. If it happens again, the same result will happen.

That being said, the more players like Schaller and Roussel get playing time, the better it'll be for Gudbranson. Spread the wealth, Green.

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Prout and Gubby have fought in the past.... Guddy did quite well in that bout.....  so Guddy will be ready and more than capable if that is the way it turns out...

and that was against a 24 yr old Guddy, he's a 26 yr old alpha male now lol, he will handle brussels sProut if he has to.

3 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

I'm aware they fought and watched it. It wasn't a "win". It was clearly a draw at best. 

Gudbranson isn't invincible. Veteran established enforcer who is also 6'5" in Carkner: 

Guddy was 22 at the time, while Carkner was 11yrs older.  Guys like Cark are a rarity now and Guddy is a much better fighter.  I can't see him getting a beat down like that.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

It'll be a boring staged hockey fight.

guys need to very careful when they challenge Guddy...

Guddy has a very wicked upper cut that has KO power  / knockout power to it...

Anyone that challenges Guddy is putting their season on the line in my opinion.....  Guddy's punch is extremely powerful.....

Archived