The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2019 UFA tracker who should we sign?

IBatch

With 1/5 of the season come and gone we’ve seen more storylines then we could have hoped for, led by EPs tremendous start, better goaltending, actual depth and little things like waiving Gagne and sending a message.

Lots could happen between now and then including guys on the next crop of UFAs signing, but just curious who you’d think would be a good target.

Personally if they are available I’d love to see Panarin first, he’s a left wing, our weakest forward position, who’s one of the few wingers in the league that can drive a line.  Kane had his best season with him (and no wonder he’s usual given chumps to play with not unlike Crosby), and he’s kept it up over there in CLB.   The sky’s the limit with our first line if we managed to land a big fish like him, and with organizational depth like that we could focus on defense mostly going forward.

Id also be tempted to chase Bobrovsky if he’s available.  Karlsson is a given if we have a chance, like Wilson says you have to go for it when guys like him are available, despite the slowish start in SJ I’d expect he will be back at or near the top by the end of the season.   Thoughts?

35 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I’d investigate the options for eating a big dollar contract (so as long as it ain’t tooooooooooo long in duration) for a high pick and or high end prospect.  Weaponize the cap space. 

You have to think CLB will be looking at deals for Panarin since he announced he wasn’t interested in staying.  Also there are rumblings that BOB and the team aren’t happy with each other too, but that is mostly coming from management not happy with his commitment level (missing team meetings at years end).

I wouldn't go after any of them.  Maybe a depth defenseman, but that's about it.

I think they should stay the course.  Keep building through the draft and graduating more guys to the big club as they are ready.  I don't want the club to hamstring themselves with some big name UFA on a long term contract that makes it harder to hang onto our own guys.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

2019 UFA tracker who should we sign?   Thoughts?

Until it is know who the Canucks finish the season with, where they end up in the stands, what draft picks they have (don't have) and what the development of all their under 26 year old players was during the season, my "thoughts" are no way this question can be answered.    

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

You have to think CLB will be looking at deals for Panarin since he announced he wasn’t interested in staying.  Also there are rumblings that BOB and the team aren’t happy with each other too, but that is mostly coming from management not happy with his commitment level (missing team meetings at years end).

Did he actually say this? Last I heard he just said he wasn't interested in signing an extension during the season or something like that.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Until it is know who the Canucks finish the season with, where they end up in the stands, what draft picks they have (don't have) and what the development of all their under 26 year old players was during the season, my "thoughts" are no way this question can be answered.    

Yup, I agree with you Rob in terms of making a concrete decision, but in the Bubble we call CDC, how do you see your wish list...………...

Again...totally ignore the value of Reality, or the fact that a new CBA lock out is coming, or that we have to save cap, or at least have it available for our own players coming up for renewal...…..

I personally look at it as......we trade Tanev/Edler/MDZ/Sutter/Pouliot/Baertschi/Gagner  for a total of  $20,500,000

and sign

Trouba and Stone for around $7 to 8 Million a piece for a total max of $16,000,000

Then out of that mess of Traded vets, we get a couple of 1st, a couple of 2nds, and a used tire...……...it looks so easy on paper! Look! LOL

Expansion draft protected in Bold, exempt in blue 7-3-1 in 2 years

Goldobin/Dahlen..............Pettersson...............……..Boeser

Stone...…………....…….….Horvat...…………………Eriksson (on a scoring streak)

Rousell……………….Gaudette/Granlund...…………Virtanen

Schaller/Gaunce...…………Beagle...………………...Motte

Leipsic...…………………….Archibald

Hughes.....Trouba

Edler...…..Gudbranson

Hutton...….Stecher

Juolevi.......Woo

Brisebois....Tryamkin (until there is no hope, there is hope!)

Markstrom

Demko

DiPietro

Because the signing/trading for Trouba would be after the Draft, we would probably have to give up our 2020 1st and maybe Dahlen

I don't see the harm

Drafting 2 or 3-1st  and 2 or 3-2nd's in the 2019 draft, kind of eases the pain of losing the 2020 1st. The amount drafted would certainly set us up for years to come

But , yes....it would be in the CDC bubble world, at best!

Myers

Trouba (unlikely)

Simmonds

Depth defensemen

If any of the first 3 can be had on a deal that's fair I would be happy. Trouba is the only one I'd give 7 years to, but it's not likely he'll sign here anyway. Simmonds is the one we'd have to be most careful with in terms of making sure we don't end up with another anchor (Eriksson). If the cap hit on Myers is around the same as it is now and it's less than 6 years then I'd strongly consider it. 

I like Stone. Stone is a big boy, 6'4 220. Can create space for Petey. Good in all zones. A competitor. There's Brock Nelson, 6'3 215ish. Can play LW or Center. 27 years old. Wayne Simmonds, bit older. Hits more than Nelson. Plays a lot bigger than he is. Listed at 185 plays like he's 220. Jakob Silfverberg. Plays both wings. 28 years old. Good mix of scoring and playmaking.

Defensively, I know it's rough to watch right now, but lets not get crazy. We have Juolevi and Hughes a year or two out from revamping our blueline with just their presence alone. So re-sign Eagle. Let him eat 22-24 minutes next year. Then we can run a top 4, hopefully, of Juolevi and Hughes on the left side. Maybe pick up Stralman? Healthier, better Tanev. Move Tanev for whatever we can at the deadline. Cody Ceci is a RFA so no dice there. Not much can be done with our blueline. Most of the good players stay or get traded. Few quality d-men ever make it to Free Agency.

Too early to spec on such matters. Let's just daydream about dealin GagMe types for the Mark Stones of the league.

LouiE is a cautionary case in point. On the other hand, the 9(or so?) FA's we've signed the past 2 summers have given us some needed depth.

If the team keeps rising, next summer could prove interesting.

Archived