The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Sam Gagner from Toronto Marlies

-Vintage Canuck-

48 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It really is his last opportunity. Most ppl have written him off and think he's done when his contract expires. This is his chance to earn a 1m deal on some team in the NHL as a utility depth forward. 

Lets hope you’re right. The team being Leafs with his buddy Tavares in exchange for Nylander...

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

This is my Favorite post! I was a fan when we first signed Gagne. But then I couldn't believe my eyes watching his slack  work ethic he brought with him. He is a serious talent and just never put the effort in. Going down to the Marlies and putting up 15 points couldn't hurt. Then watching our pp1 with Pouliot and Goldy enter the zone and then lose the puck with very low percentage passes( I was like Gagne would be better ). Maybe with some elbow grease and some effort we will see the Gagne that has talent put the hard hat and work boots on! He could be a fit with Pettersson. Hard to imagine him scoring less than Goldy and Erickson.

I think most of us hasn’t forgotten why he was sent down. The total lacklustre attitude made Vrabata look like a workaholic... maybe just maybe being sent to play for the Marlies have awoken him. 

Have to say that unless Gaunce is injured or flu stricken or something along those lines, it does look like his days as a Canuck could be numbered.....

I think Gagner on the right side on PP might be a better choice than Goldy on the right side.

Right hand shot on the right side vs left hand shot on the right side gets better angles to shoot and pass. And that split second when the seam opens can easily be missed by the left hand shot (Goldy) thereby limiting his options. 

I hope Gagner does well and sticks around.

8 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I really don’t think he cares 

he received the contract he wanted from the Canucks and he is getting paid no matter what 

he is done for a career at the end of the 3 year term 

Gagne cares, nobody wants to play out there final contract in the minors, particularly when he’s still in an age group that’s considered late prime (sure the cap era has changed things and only the best athletes get another contract at 30, but it sure didn’t used to be that way,  in other words it didn’t have to be his last contract).  It’s up to him whether he stays or not, oh and of course the coach and who he plays him with (plugs and he manages .5ppg what a bum).   I was hoping we signed him to flip him, didn’t work, one more stab at that with some scoring liners and maybe it will help this time round?  Probably not.  But he won’t leave anything in the tank this time.

19 hours ago, Odd. said:

I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this, but welcome back Gagner. 

We need a shake up in our line-up. Schaller, Goldobin, among many others just haven't cut it. Many are going to be quick to hate this move, but Gagner has proven he can provide some secondary scoring, and I'm going to go on a limb and say he's gonna help us offensively a lot better than the likes of Schaller, Eriksson, Motte or Goldobin.

Watch Gagner and Pettersson become a thing :lol:

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Watch Gagner and Pettersson become a thing :lol:

Well according to Benning it was Goldy that knocked him off the roster and he hasn't exactly been a performer for a while now. So I imagine Gags will get some form of offensive opportunity.

Jeff Jackson (Gagner’s agent) on Sam Gagner:

“Although he was disappointed out of camp, he was going to go to Toronto and work on his game and wait for an opportunity. He is extremely excited to be back up and has made good strides down in Toronto.”

"Personally my view doesn't really matter but Sam shouldn't have left the team in the fall, he was good enough to make that team, personally that’s my opinion. End of the day Sam is there and hopefully there till the end of the season."

“Things change in the NHL week to week and when Sam signed in Vancouver we felt it was the best fit. Strange things happen but Sams approach is stay up and make an impact.”

"The media speculation in the Vancouver market that the Canucks⁠⁠ and Sam were done, I think that was totally over-blown. That was never the case, that tweet wasn't right that neither party had moved on. Sam is excited to be back."

"Sam has great vision and skill still, he can help with the powerplay, he will produce. If Sam plays with offensive-minded players like he did last year, with the Sedin twins, Vanek and Boeser, he can produce but that is up to Travis."

Oh good another Canuck who falls down all over the ice.

So I guess we have no skill in the farm.

Because we certainly don’t neeed another 3rd/4th liner that brings little to nothing to this already skillless line up.

horvat petterson virtanen the only reason to watch.

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Lets hope you’re right. The team being Leafs with his buddy Tavares in exchange for Nylander...

Not sure Babcock would be that enthused by a player that didn’t care that much for defensive play (I know you were just joking in you post).  He’ll get another contract but I doubt any NHL GM will give him more than a one year deal.  Player seems to have motivational issues.  Other players on the team didn’t play him off the roster; he was his own worst enemy.  His work ethic got him off the team.  There’s a reason why he was drafted high as there is talent there.  It’s a question of whether this wake up call will be long lasting.

Archived